BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Had a good day today. We had MIL up for dinner and I just made a quick salad with loads of stuff on the table.

Gave LO carrot, small tomatoes and cucumber to eat, which he loved! He was so enthusiastic (alas, part of it was the coolness helping with teething but I still happy!). MIL kept freaking out a little bit that he was choking and at one point, grabbed a tomato out his hand - which I wasn't happy about, but I suppose its just because she wasn't used to it :shrug:

I wanted to give LO an olive but OH wasn't sure... I think it was only because *he* doesn't like olives lol!

I gave Otter olives for the first time the other day -- he bit half of one, wrinkled his nose, and threw the rest of them on the ground. :haha: DH said, "That's my boy!!!" as he doesn't like olives either. :roll:

we had lunch with our family today - DD sat at the table with everyone (in a restaurant) and had her own bread roll (half, as it tasted a bit salty), some steamed and roasted vegetables and some fruit. I was incredibly proud of her!! :D

She grabbed my chocolate dessert, and I was going to let her just try a dab, rather than making a big deal of wrestling it away, and her face! She smelled it, and just looked appalled :rofl: Doesn't get that from Mummy!!

I gave Otter olives for the first time the other day -- he bit half of one, wrinkled his nose, and threw the rest of them on the ground. :haha: DH said, "That's my boy!!!" as he doesn't like olives either. :roll:

Haha that's what Ruby did with an olive. I'm not too surprised though, I didn't like them until I was about 21!

Lucy has been fully weaned now in terms of, she will eat off the spoon. She couldn't do BLW for a while, as she never used to put anything to her mouth, hands, toys - nothing!!! But I was wanting to give her some toast mid morning, but she hasn't got any teeth - was wondering - what do I put on it? Will she still be able to eat it? How big should the toast bits be?

I just cut toast into fingers "like when we used to have boiled eggs and dipping soldiers :)" - I tend to just put olive spread :)

Zara has no teeth but can quite happily demolish and eat toast

OK so we seem to be doing ok at the moment :)

We love:
Banana, Pear, Broccolli, Parsnips, Carrots, Aubergine, Toast, Pitta Bread, Yoghurt (pre-loaded spoon), Roast potatoes, courgette, red and green peppers etc etc

I was wondering about tomatos? is 6 months too young to give them cherry tomatos if I cut them in half? I'm pretty confident she will be able to pick them up and eat them but just wondered if anyone else had experience with them?

Also cheese? we tried some cheese but it broke off in her mouth and a large bit got wedged in the the roof of her mouth - anyone had success with cheese? we can manage cheese on toast ok but uncooked cheese?

I tentatively gave my LO cherry tomatoes yesterday and he went gaga over them!

I didn't even cut them in half. He got a tooth through the skin and just sucked the juice :)

I gave him cherry tomatoes that were small enough to hold in his hand, yet big enough not to get a whole one in his mouth.

yep rubys been having tomato for months now, she loves it, i just buy the smallish vine ripened tomatos, and cut them into quarters...

G is fussy with tomatoes - I once gave him posh taste the difference plum tomatoes & now he only wants them, normal ones get rejected! :rofl:

quick Q.. has anyone given beetroot, and how the hell do you give it?
i HATE beetroot, but in my quest to have Ruby eating new things regularly, i bought beetroot.. i was gonna make some veggie chips with them, along with the usuals (parnip, carrot, sweet potato, squash) do you think it would work?
any tips greatly appreciated!

quick Q.. has anyone given beetroot, and how the hell do you give it?
i HATE beetroot, but in my quest to have Ruby eating new things regularly, i bought beetroot.. i was gonna make some veggie chips with them, along with the usuals (parnip, carrot, sweet potato, squash) do you think it would work?
any tips greatly appreciated!

Yikes - I can just imagine the beetroot stains on clothes, bibs and everything else :rofl: - I think I might hold off on that one. I'd guess you could either give it steamed or roasted - just like any other root veg?

Hiya everyone :flower: Just wondering... how often do you guys go shopping for food??? I always seem to run out of stuff really quickly and feel like i'm forever going food shopping or we run out and don't go shopping for a week or so and just eat out. We really need to get into the habit of having fresh food in the fridge all the time as we're starting blw in a few weeks.

Also what time do you start cooking dinner??? We usually eat when Isabella is in bed but this will also have to change. It takes me ages to cook a meal lol! Isabella goes to bed between 6.30-7.00pm so i'd have to start dinner about 4??? Sometimes we're out though :shrug: Oh i don't know! Haha x Any suggestions ladies??? Sorry for silly questions x

Hiya everyone :flower: Just wondering... how often do you guys go shopping for food??? I always seem to run out of stuff really quickly and feel like i'm forever going food shopping or we run out and don't go shopping for a week or so and just eat out. We really need to get into the habit of having fresh food in the fridge all the time as we're starting blw in a few weeks.

Also what time do you start cooking dinner??? We usually eat when Isabella is in bed but this will also have to change. It takes me ages to cook a meal lol! Isabella goes to bed between 6.30-7.00pm so i'd have to start dinner about 4??? Sometimes we're out though :shrug: Oh i don't know! Haha x Any suggestions ladies??? Sorry for silly questions x

We just shop once a week though occasionally will nip to local shop for more bread or milk later on in the week - most veggies/fruit will easily last a week if kept in right conditions.

As for cooking - we aim to eat around 6ish and so I tend to start cooking around hmmmm 5.30ish or even later but it never takes me long to cook meals (helps that we are veggie in our house so never have to cook meat!).

Forgot to add - I also plan a weekly menu before I shop to make sure I have all the ingredients I need and that any short life products will be used up early in the week.

For later in the week I tend to use the veggies that last longer such as potatoes and frozen veg. Pasta meals etc are good for later in the week aswell. :)

Meals that are quick to cook are essential and I think the only meal I cook that takes longer to prepare is our sunday roast (veggie).

I use my freezer to keep loads of homemade food that I can cook from frozen for Ruby, atm it contains mini beef burgers, chicken nuggets, fish fingers, vegetable wedges and pasta sauces. Ruby's tea is at about 5pm, OH and I don't eat until around 8.30pm due to work and that's way too late for Ruby. At weekends we all eat together at around 6pm.

Ruby teas are really quick things in the week, they cook in 20 mins max.
If we're going to be out in the afternoon I usually give Ruby a main meal at lunch and then just sandwiches and fruit for tea, which I can obviously take out if needs be.

Tried to give Lucy toast yesterday and this morning but she just drops it, and I left it on her high chair tray and she wasn't interested at all - not sure if BLW will work for me!!

Tried to give Lucy toast yesterday and this morning but she just drops it, and I left it on her high chair tray and she wasn't interested at all - not sure if BLW will work for me!!

Sometimes it takes a few attempts for them to figure out what they are supposed to do with it :) Keep trying and try other things aswell. Are you eating at the same time as Zara loves to mimic her mum :)

Ruby wasn't interested much until 7 months. It's fine, she'll eat when she is ready provided you keep offering her food whenever you're eating...

About the beetroot, brace yourself for horrifying nappies! I've never tried it myself, because I don't like beetroot so there's never any in the house, but my mum warned me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->