BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Yay, well dont to all the babies that are jumping up percentiles :happydance: You must be so proud of them :D

I am going to try and get to clinic to get Gabriella weighed tonight, depending on whether my little man dawdles about, coming out of school.

Just a quick question, how come some of you are worried about your LO's being too heavy at such a young age? I dont want to start a debate and sorry if it sounds like Im being rude, but it never even crossed my mind at all to be worried about Gabriella being too big. Even with my little man, who's just turned 5, I dont worry about his weight at all, and havent weighed him in a long time - probably since he was a baby (although he's just been done at school because he's in reception). He normally eats loads and loads of food - adult sized portions really, but I never worry. He doesnt sit eating junk food all day (we still have 4 easter eggs left out of 9, lol), and I cook most meals from scratch (apart from the odd fish finger butty :blush: ). Isnt it the case that children eat however much they need, and the overeating thing doesnt come until much later in life? I think they probably just have Daddy's metabilism (who can sit and eat a family sized bag of peanut m & m's then be hungry again an hour later!!!!!!)

:hugs: xx

Dom, I am not *really* worried about Adam's weight/size, I was just slightly thrown by him jumping up on the charts! I'd have been thrilled if it had happened when he was just on milk, but it made me worry for a minute that I was feeding him too much. Though I know I am not, he is having what HE wants, I can say that with full confidence.

I think it was my imagination running away with me. I had such bad food issues myself when I was younger (I was a terrible eater as a baby/little kid, underweight, then I started eating and became overweight as a teen, then I was anorexic for 7 years, bulimic for another 7 years), and though I have been fully recovered, normal weight, healthy, etc etc etc, for 6 or so years now, it's something that has always been with me and I fear it always will. Food and eating and later body shape/size was such a central thing for me, for as long as I remember, fights and battles with my family. Awful - and something I never want for Adam. It's the big reason I wanted to do BLW, so he could eat instinctively and trust his appetite. It's just hard to have faith sometimes that he will be whatever size and shape he will be, my job is to love him and value him and provide him with the best of everything that I can and be a good role model. I work really really hard on this stuff... it's a challenge.

Thanks Mary-Jo, like I said, I didnt want to sound rude, but just wondered how some people were feeling worried about it.

I think it makes perfect sense that you were worried with what you have been through, but congratulations and well done for overcoming your eating issues, and Im sure itll contribute to you being the fantastic mummy you obviously are :hugs:

Yay, well dont to all the babies that are jumping up percentiles :happydance: You must be so proud of them :D

I am going to try and get to clinic to get Gabriella weighed tonight, depending on whether my little man dawdles about, coming out of school.

Just a quick question, how come some of you are worried about your LO's being too heavy at such a young age? I dont want to start a debate and sorry if it sounds like Im being rude, but it never even crossed my mind at all to be worried about Gabriella being too big. Even with my little man, who's just turned 5, I dont worry about his weight at all, and havent weighed him in a long time - probably since he was a baby (although he's just been done at school because he's in reception). He normally eats loads and loads of food - adult sized portions really, but I never worry. He doesnt sit eating junk food all day (we still have 4 easter eggs left out of 9, lol), and I cook most meals from scratch (apart from the odd fish finger butty :blush: ). Isnt it the case that children eat however much they need, and the overeating thing doesnt come until much later in life? I think they probably just have Daddy's metabilism (who can sit and eat a family sized bag of peanut m & m's then be hungry again an hour later!!!!!!)

:hugs: xx

I also am not "really" worried about sophia's weight. I just want her to be healthy (I saw an incredibly large baby when Sophia was just a month old, and this baby really was big, my friend who is a G.P was sat next to me and said that it was exceptional for a baby to be that big, and not all that healthy cos the baby could barely move - I am not exaggerating, it was shocking to see, I am not talking chubby or even fat, it was quite sad to see - again I am not trying to start a debate either). Anyway, even if Sophia put on tons of weight I wouldn't change the way we do things, she is breastfed and BLW so it is all on her terms - i, like Mary jo, just worry that sometimes she eats SO much!

Thanks Shiv, and gosh I think if I saw something like that it would frighten me too! That poor baby, its not very fair if it could barely move, although of course there could have been medical issues??

Well Ive just had Gabriella weighed, and she has gone from 7.3kg on 20/5 to 7.96kg today :happydance: Thats 1lb 7oz in 3 weeks, shes gone from inbetween the 25th and 50th percentiles, to just over the 50th

The health visitor was very happy with her, and did her 8 month check today, at 7.5 months, because she is already sitting up, rolling over and crawling. :cloud9:

And we're just about to have those yummy meatballs for tea, mmmmmmmmmmm :happydance:

Anyone on here still trying to get their LO to get interested in food???
Bun will be 7 months on Monday and he wants no part of food at all!
Still trying though! :flower:

:hugs: He will get there in the end. I can imagine it must be quite stressful though. I have a friend whose baby is just over 7 months and still not eating at all really. She actually started off trying to give purees but he wasn't interested at all so she switched to BLW, he's still not eating but at least now he is setting the pace. She does find it worrying though.

We've had such a bad couple of days. Yesterday, LO vomitted up all his dinner - I don't know whether he had wind or what but he was just off. Today, he had a good brekkie, but picked at his lunch and totally refused dinner. This is the first time its bad been had since he stated enjoying everything a few weeks ago.

He may be teething, I'm not too sure. Will just have to start again tomorrow...

I feel really bad too. I met some work friends tonight as one of them went to a new job and it was our goodbye night out. It took 3 hours for OH to get LO to bed though, and at one point I had to go on speakerphone to LO to say goodnight in case it was my absence that was making him upset - and I couldn't even leave as my mum was picking me up and I couldn't afford a taxi :( I just *knew* I shouldn't have gone, although he was asleep by the time she came to get me. I could cry :(

We've had such a bad couple of days. Yesterday, LO vomitted up all his dinner - I don't know whether he had wind or what but he was just off. Today, he had a good brekkie, but picked at his lunch and totally refused dinner. This is the first time its bad been had since he stated enjoying everything a few weeks ago.

I feel really bad too. I met some work friends tonight as one of them went to a new job and it was our goodbye night out. It took 3 hours for OH to get LO to bed though, and at one point I had to go on speakerphone to LO to say goodnight in case it was my absence that was making him upset - and I couldn't even leave as my mum was picking me up and I couldn't afford a taxi :( I just *knew* I shouldn't have gone, although he was asleep by the time she came to get me. I could cry :(

Dont't feel too bad, you deserve a night out and it is only fair that the men experience some of the stress every once in a while.

As for not eating much, could be teething, or maybe just not very hungry, it'll pick up again :hugs:

:hugs:
Poor little guy, it sounds like he is maybe just a bit off form, maybe teething or a bit of an upset tummy? Don't feel guilty about going out, he was with your OH so it's not like he was with a stranger, just bad timing but you weren't to know. I'm sure his eating will pick right back up when he's feeling better.

Thomas successfully ate blueberries this morning!! I'm so proud! I even took a little video to show OH because he wasn't up yet. He just picked them up one by one and popped them into his mouth and ate them! Mind you I don't think his babygro will ever be the same again, LOL.

Thomas successfully ate blueberries this morning!! I'm so proud! I even took a little video to show OH because he wasn't up yet. He just picked them up one by one and popped them into his mouth and ate them! Mind you I don't think his babygro will ever be the same again, LOL.

What a clever boy!

Well done Thomas you clever boy :)

Gabriella ate strawberries yesterday and they made a right mess :dohh: My magic weapon for getting stains out of things is sterlising fluid (milton type stuff, although I buy supermarket own). Just run some cold water into the sink - enough to cover whatever clothes it is, and pour some milton in and then soak the clothes. It doesnt take long, its brilliant stuff :thumbup:

xx

Ooh well done Thomas! I'm scared of blueberries lol, but I did buy some strawberries for lunch today.

We've sortof taken a few steps backwards these few days. After brekkie this morning, I now think LO doesn't like the PL spoon, but doesn't know that he can scoop as well, so he gets really frustrated. So lots of finger foods for lunch today - pankcakes, strawberries, tomatoes (his fave). Fingers crossed it works :)

Well done Thomas you clever boy :)

Gabriella ate strawberries yesterday and they made a right mess :dohh: My magic weapon for getting stains out of things is sterlising fluid (milton type stuff, although I buy supermarket own). Just run some cold water into the sink - enough to cover whatever clothes it is, and pour some milton in and then soak the clothes. It doesnt take long, its brilliant stuff :thumbup:

xx

Ooh thanks for the tip, I have a lot of sterilizing tablets that I never used, I wonder would they do the job? Might give it a try, nothing to lose!

Ooh yea thanks for the tip! I have that milton stuff in my cupboard too!

I've started to just put one of those plastic-y material bibs that cover him all over, with a regular bib underneath in case there is any liquid spillage. Worked so far today and no gross bibs to try to cry :D

Thought I'd add this after I said the other day about Culann handing the dog food. Now I reckon he trying to tease the dog with the food as he literally swings it from side to side off the edge of his tray! Naughty baby...

Spot the little lurker...

Ooh yea thanks for the tip! I have that milton stuff in my cupboard too!

I've started to just put one of those plastic-y material bibs that cover him all over, with a regular bib underneath in case there is any liquid spillage. Worked so far today and no gross bibs to try to cry :D

Thought I'd add this after I said the other day about Culann handing the dog food. Now I reckon he trying to tease the dog with the food as he literally swings it from side to side off the edge of his tray! Naughty baby...

Spot the little lurker...

Gorgeous photo! I'm sure the dog is a big fan of BLW!

Yes!! JJ is now 10months old and has little or no interest in food. All he wants is boobie nothing else. He has had some different types of fruit and sucked them, some mashed potato and other stuff but its going so very slowly. I'm really starting to worry now as my biggest fear is him being iron-deficient from not getting all the nutrients he needs from BM. I keep trying though just can't wait for a breakthrough

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->