BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

HI ladies, can I please have some advice/help from some of the more experienced BLW'ers.
My LO is turning 5months on Tuesday and for the last 2wks has been grabbing food from our plates,. We've been taking it off of him until the last couple of days where we waited to see what he'd do, he grabbed a banana stick perfectly and was able to bring it to his mouth and yesterday this is what happened with a cucumber stick.

https://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u56/originalbluething/Phoenix/th_CIMG2920.jpg

I now am a bit unsure where to go from here... he can sit unaided for a bit, and has perfect hand/eye co-ordination, constantly being able to pick up toys, swap the hand they're in and bring them to his mouth and he absolutely loved the cucumber.
I don't however want to risk any future stomach issues from weaning him 'early'. at the same time, if we have him sitting at the table with us at meal time he shouts and screeches until we give him something from our plate.

I'm kinda babbling here... but what do I do now? Is it 'safe' for me to continue offering sticks of fresh fruit/veggies for the next few weeks until he gets closer to the magical 6month mark or should I take a step back and give nothing for a while longer? :wacko:

Thanks!

IMO as long as you stick to fruit and veg until he is 6 months then it can do no harm offering him these at mealtimes

what a clever sausage!

HI ladies, can I please have some advice/help from some of the more experienced BLW'ers.
My LO is turning 5months on Tuesday and for the last 2wks has been grabbing food from our plates,. We've been taking it off of him until the last couple of days where we waited to see what he'd do, he grabbed a banana stick perfectly and was able to bring it to his mouth and yesterday this is what happened with a cucumber stick.

I now am a bit unsure where to go from here... he can sit unaided for a bit, and has perfect hand/eye co-ordination, constantly being able to pick up toys, swap the hand they're in and bring them to his mouth and he absolutely loved the cucumber.
I don't however want to risk any future stomach issues from weaning him 'early'. at the same time, if we have him sitting at the table with us at meal time he shouts and screeches until we give him something from our plate.

I'm kinda babbling here... but what do I do now? Is it 'safe' for me to continue offering sticks of fresh fruit/veggies for the next few weeks until he gets closer to the magical 6month mark or should I take a step back and give nothing for a while longer? :wacko:

Thanks!

I think he's ready! Just stick to offering fruit and veg until he's six months and I think you should be fine. Looks like he is going to love his grub!

ETA - some fruits are allergy risks so better to wait until after 6 months to introduce - citrus fruits, strawberries, and tomatoes are the ones that spring to mind.

Wow what a clever little boy you have!! Im no expert on it, but he looks like he's ready to me too :D Its hard to believe hes only 5 months old - it doesnt even slip out of his hands! Well done :) xx

Polaris - was it your LO that was really frustrated for a while, and would scream? Or was it another members?

I ask just so I can ask you how you got through it. We were going so well for a few weeks now but now everything makes him fuss, cry and scream. Its so disheartening!

Polaris - was it your LO that was really frustrated for a while, and would scream? Or was it another members?

I ask just so I can ask you how you got through it. We were going so well for a few weeks now but now everything makes him fuss, cry and scream. Its so disheartening!

No not me - not in relation to food anyway - although he went through a fussy period in general over the past three or four weeks (disturbed sleep, demanding a lot of attention, not happy with any activity except holding onto your hands and walking around the room) - he seems a lot more settled recently so I am hoping we are coming out the other side of it. I think they do just go through phases. Maybe your LO is getting frustrated because he knows what he wants to do with the food but his physical skills aren't moving quickly enough for him? If so it will probably ease up over the next few weeks as he gets better at manipulating the food.

I think it was rebaby's son Toby that was having the screaming fit with blw a few weeks back. i think I remember reading he's doing better now though???

Kota, Harry was 5 months 1 week when we started giving him sticks of vegetables to eat... He didn;t actually eat anything of them for a few weeks, but he certainly played with them, sucked them, threw them etc, and got a really good 'feel' for food & helped with hand-eye co-ordination etc... The only thing he has spoon fed is fromage frais, but evertything else now is given true blw style & he is coping really well & gets a lot of joy from his mealstimes, iyswim? I was undecided at first & used to do a combo of blw & spoon feeding, then started doing pre-loaded spoons for a while, but now we are really embracing blw & are so pleased we have stuck it out. good luck with little Phoenix :)

Ooh sorry maybe it was Rebaby! I'll remember to drop her a PM. You could be right though Polaris - it could just be his coordination skills not up to the strength his head wants them to be at!

:wave: Just popping in for a quick check up. Been ages since I've been in here! :blush: Hope all the BLW babies are thriving. Otter is doing great -- almost 11 months old and will eat anything and everything. :roll: Well, except corn and Basque salad dressing...? :huh:

Kota, as I said in your journal -- Otter started wicked early, too. Just be easy with it and offer bland easy to digest things. :thumbup:

My magic weapon for getting stains out of things is sterlising fluid (milton type stuff, although I buy supermarket own). Just run some cold water into the sink - enough to cover whatever clothes it is, and pour some milton in and then soak the clothes. It doesnt take long, its brilliant stuff :thumbup:

xx

That is such a good tip!! Works a dream with sterilizing tablets too! Finally a use for the big box of sterilizing tablets sat in the cupboard!

My magic weapon for getting stains out of things is sterlising fluid (milton type stuff, although I buy supermarket own). Just run some cold water into the sink - enough to cover whatever clothes it is, and pour some milton in and then soak the clothes. It doesnt take long, its brilliant stuff :thumbup:

xx

That is such a good tip!! Works a dream with sterilizing tablets too! Finally a use for the big box of sterilizing tablets sat in the cupboard!

Thanks :happydance: Glad to pass it on, although I have come across the first ever thing I havent been able to get out with milton ~~~~ Face paint!!!

We went to my bro's world cup party on Saturday and my little dude got it ALL over his white tailored England kit :dohh: Im a bit mad too because he has a non uniform day at school on Friday and they are supposed to be wearing a football kit if poss - he wore his Italia one last Friday - he's 1/4 Italian, lol (it was non uniform then too, :wacko: lol) so i wanted him to wear his England one this week :growlmad: Anyone know what will get face paint out? Its red - on his white shirt and shorts ......

xx

Sunning is magic for removing stains. Seriously. :thumbup: I had 2 outfits that were covered, head to toe, in red sauce. I soaked in OxiClean, used every stain remover I could find, washed and washed and washed and scrubbed. Hardly made a dent. Finally, I put them out in the sun for a day and -- BAM! Not a stain to be seen! :shock:

Jacob's doing fab too, at the beginning I was worried he wasn't eating enough etc but now he hardly leaves a pick (makes a huge mess though lol) he hasn't refused anything so far - he loves curry, sweet potatoes, and all fruits he's tried so far, as for veg baby corn has to be his fave. I was also worried about dropping bottles but he gradually did it himself he now takes around 24 oz over 4 bottles every day.
My advice to anyone thinking of doing BLW is go for it, it really is fab, we always get comments on how good he is at feeding himself and it really frees you up especially if you're out for a meal as you get to enjoy yours while they happily munch away too!

Sunning is magic for removing stains. Seriously. :thumbup: I had 2 outfits that were covered, head to toe, in red sauce. I soaked in OxiClean, used every stain remover I could find, washed and washed and washed and scrubbed. Hardly made a dent. Finally, I put them out in the sun for a day and -- BAM! Not a stain to be seen! :shock:

Huh, so I just leave them out in the sun to bake for the day, and then wash them and it should come out?

thanks for that, ill try it tomorrow, its supposed to be nice :happydance:

I had washed them and then sunned them and then washed them again. Not sure if the sun will take it out without a prewash or not? Just make sure to get the sunniest spot you can find. :thumbup:

dom, just wanted to add my thanks for the Milton tip. I tried it yesterday with a pyjama top of Adam's, which was basically ruined, with tomato (well, orange) stains round the cuffs (where slack Mummy - or possibly Daddy - forgot to roll up his sleeves :dohh: ). Left it a few hours and they were still there, so I replaced the water and popped in another tablet, left it overnight and bingo, this morning the cuffs are snow-white. :D And the rest of the top is still bright. I presume it's some sort of mild bleach in the Milton? Wonder if it'll work on my stained nappy inserts? :lol:

dom, just wanted to add my thanks for the Milton tip. I tried it yesterday with a pyjama top of Adam's, which was basically ruined, with tomato (well, orange) stains round the cuffs (where slack Mummy - or possibly Daddy - forgot to roll up his sleeves :dohh: ). Left it a few hours and they were still there, so I replaced the water and popped in another tablet, left it overnight and bingo, this morning the cuffs are snow-white. :D And the rest of the top is still bright. I presume it's some sort of mild bleach in the Milton? Wonder if it'll work on my stained nappy inserts? :lol:

Glad to be of service :haha:

I have Mackenzie's football kit on my shed roof as I type, baking in the sun, I hope it works :wacko: I really want him to wear it to school on Friday, especially since England are playing too :thumbup:

Q: what's the general opinion on leftovers with regards to babies? I made a lovely pork caserole yesterday, (which Harry had great fun with!) but made far too much, so I was gonna serve it up again for me & Harry tonight- is this ok??? It's been in the fridge, with cling film on it so no germies get in, but just wondered if anyone else serves up meals again the day after??? Thanks!

Q: what's the general opinion on leftovers with regards to babies? I made a lovely pork caserole yesterday, (which Harry had great fun with!) but made far too much, so I was gonna serve it up again for me & Harry tonight- is this ok??? It's been in the fridge, with cling film on it so no germies get in, but just wondered if anyone else serves up meals again the day after??? Thanks!
I find I have to do this sometimes too as Jacob wants his tea around 4:45 and I'm nowhere near ready for mine so I sometimes find it easier to make extra and leave some over for him. Last night he had left over lentil curry and I made chilli for us later and have kept some over for him for tonight.

I serve up leftovers - in fact I usually make too much so there will be some - and probably will tonight (fish pie from yesterday). As long as it's heated up thoroughly it should be fine. I always heat Adam's leftovers even if I'd be fine with it cold, myself (like pasta, for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->