BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Cool; pork casserole with potatoes it is for dinner tonight then!!! i think next time, I may freeze it into a Harry-sized portion, lol, for when I'm having a 'lazy' slummy mummy day, hehe! :)

I want to have lots of lazy slummy mummy days now we're getting all this sunshine lol

lol, Lou, I wish I could enjoy the sun, espcially since I live like 5 mins from the beach, but I'm practically albino with my skin colouring, and burn sooo easily, that without sticky factor 50+ I am a lobster, and it seems Harry is pale too. I was kinda hoping he'd tan like daddy, but ah well. Plus he's afraid of the grass! He liked the sun lounger in Italy, so maybe that's the way forwards for him... ?

Oh, I meant to ask before: does anyone have a nice recipe that's baby-safe for Cheese sauce??? I love cheese sauce on vegetables & wanted to make some for Harry, but I dont wanna use the baby pouches of sauce you can buy- I'd rather make my own, but would it be too bad for him with the salt in cheese??? Or would it be better to just give him veges & put a lil sauce on the side for him to smear/dip at instead, so he gets the taste, but his vege isnt drowned in it like I would have it??? (sorry for all the Qs today, but now he's getting more adventurous, I want to broaden his horizons, so to speak, with new tastes & textures to offer.)

Florabean, with the cheese sauce, if you calculate approx the salt Harry has had in the day he's getting it, you can work out how much cheese to add. If you are making a cheese sauce for you as well, you could make up a white sauce, take his portion out and add only his cheese to his and then however much you want to your own. That's what I'd do, anyway.

I've actually stopped adding cheese to my lasagne sauce, just make a white sauce and then sprinkle cheese on top. Same with the fish pie I made yesterday. I personally love cheese and always add extra for me. :lol:

MaryJo, that's a brilliant idea! Thank you for that :) He pretty much has a zero salt diet, as even the bread I make has the salt left out & we have no salt butter & he pretty much lives on fruit n vege, coz I only cook meat when his daddy is home (he works away a lot), so the only salt he really has is in cheese, which he has maybe every other day at the moment. I dont think my maths skills will cope with working out jhow much cheese to add, so the white sauce sounds perfect :) Ta!!!!

Q: what's the general opinion on leftovers with regards to babies? I made a lovely pork caserole yesterday, (which Harry had great fun with!) but made far too much, so I was gonna serve it up again for me & Harry tonight- is this ok??? It's been in the fridge, with cling film on it so no germies get in, but just wondered if anyone else serves up meals again the day after??? Thanks!

Left overs make great lunches for the following day! :thumbup:

:dohh: there's salt in cheese??

I didn't know this and my LO has been eating bits of cheese every day now as he loves it so much! You know I never even looked at the nutrition bit at the back because I just thought...it's cheese!!

I am having some success getting Bun to eat mushed or pureed food off a spoon himself. He doesn't eat much of it - but he really likes to dip and put the spoon in his mouth so I am encouraging that! For the first time ever today he picked up his watermelon and took a bite! I got really stressed out though - is a big chunk like that more of a choking hazard?? He ended up spitting it out, so I was very relieved. haha - I better get over it though if I want to keep going with the BLW!!!! I also gave him an arrowroot cookie which I know is crappy, but the only food item he ever went after is when I eat cookies so I wanted to try it out. He actually picked it up and put it to his mouth and chewed on it. That and the melon are the first "finger foods" he has touched in weeks. Is it bad to let him have a cookie? I know they aren't too healthy, but I was just so glad to see him eat something on his own!

I am going to make a lasagne tonight though with no salt except the cheese so he can sample it if he wants to!

xx

I am having some success getting Bun to eat mushed or pureed food off a spoon himself. He doesn't eat much of it - but he really likes to dip and put the spoon in his mouth so I am encouraging that! For the first time ever today he picked up his watermelon and took a bite! I got really stressed out though - is a big chunk like that more of a choking hazard?? He ended up spitting it out, so I was very relieved. haha - I better get over it though if I want to keep going with the BLW!!!! I also gave him an arrowroot cookie which I know is crappy, but the only food item he ever went after is when I eat cookies so I wanted to try it out. He actually picked it up and put it to his mouth and chewed on it. That and the melon are the first "finger foods" he has touched in weeks. Is it bad to let him have a cookie? I know they aren't too healthy, but I was just so glad to see him eat something on his own!

I am going to make a lasagne tonight though with no salt except the cheese so he can sample it if he wants to!

xx

Yay, well done Bun! It sounds like he is just going at his own pace slowly but surely. It is worrying at first when they bite off big chunks but they have such an excellent gag reflex, they seem to be able to cope surprisingly well with most foods. Thomas prefers now to put the whole piece of food into his mouth and chew on it instead of holding it in his hands to chew on it. It is nerve-racking at first but I have got used to it. I wouldn't worry too much about the cookie, it's not like he's eating the whole thing anyway. Hope he enjoys the lasagne.

Yeah, cheese has a pretty high salt content. I try to be careful about how much Otter gets (especially when he was closer to 6 months). But he LOVES it and definitely has it in some form or other everday. Sometimes more than once per day.

As for cookies -- Otter is allowed. But only sometimes and only a few small bites. He has had things like strawberry shortcake and pineapple upside down cake. But most of his desserts are made of frozen yogurt cubes or jellow with fruit in it -- things like that.

Thomas was willing to have a go with a preloaded spoon from the start (we started at six months) but he is only really getting the hang of it so that more food is going into the mouth rather than down his front in the past couple of weeks - so I would say about seven and a half months for us. It's still fairly messy though.

G was surprisingly good with a preloaded spoon from the 1st day we tried it - we started with it at just a few days before he was 6 months (as most things I wanted to try it with had gluten or dairy in) he had had a few fruit/veg sticks in the few weeks prior to that.

Any old-timers - please reassure me that it is normal for food intake to drop off for days at a time :( Today he has had only about a third of what he would usually have for breakfast and lunch was better than the last few days - he actually ate something today - even if it was only a grand total of 6 pasta shells :(

Hi!

I'm new to BLW but so far me and the LO are loving it. :thumbup:

Both me and DH love our spicy food like chili and curry etc, how did your LO's cope with all things spicy? I'll be leaving out the salt and toning down the chili powder, but I'm curious as to how they got on :)

what ages were your LOs able to feed themselves from loaded spoons?

This is the only way Bun will eat anything right now - he's pretty good at it unless he tips the spoon over before it gets to his mouth! :dohh:

And by "eat" I mean the food is in his mouth - swallowing it is a different story entirely!

my lo is nearly 5 months and really showing signs that he is ready, ive read the gill rapely book so know the basics

is it okay to start giving him a bit of banana now he is 5 months? i just tried him with a bit and he gave it a good chew and ate quite a bit, and cried when i put the plate down to offer him a drink!

will it be okay to start him on things like that before 6m?

thanks. we have a little while to go before we start introducing solids. will try pre loaded spoons with stuff like yoghurt when she is old enough. other than pre loaded spoons so you just let them suck it off their fingers?

Hi!

Both me and DH love our spicy food like chili and curry etc, how did your LO's cope with all things spicy? I'll be leaving out the salt and toning down the chili powder, but I'm curious as to how they got on :)

I think that's all you need to do, leave out salt and tone down the chilli, and LO may like it. Ruby like curry and all sorts of stronger flavoured food, bland food isn't her bag, just as it isn't mine either...

Hi!

I think that's all you need to do, leave out salt and tone down the chilli, and LO may like it. Ruby like curry and all sorts of stronger flavoured food, bland food isn't her bag, just as it isn't mine either...

I was wondering the same thing, as OH and I eat spicy food generally. I ate really spicy all throughout my pregnancy and while breastfeeding, so LO probably has a bit of a taste for it already! I will definitely tone down the spice, but there's got to be a little heat LOL... I figure it will be trial and error - Bun will let us know what he likes! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->