BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

raw Apple chunks break into choking size pieces very easily - we are still careful & cut either very thin (1-2mm) slices or grate it

When you first start BLW can you offer apple? or is it best to wait a little until eating has been established?. I went to a weaning workshop today and the HV is quite receptive to BLW in some ways and she said not to give apple though, unless cooked is this correct?.

I don't recall anything in the book that says don't give apple and we've offered apple right from the start in chunky pieces, I might be wrong though!

I've only offered raw apple a couple of times and it was sliced wafter thin. It's one of the few things I personally think should be left till later, along with raw carrot, probably till LO has molars. Grating would be fine, though, but apple goes brown very quickly.

I've only offered raw apple a couple of times and it was sliced wafter thin. It's one of the few things I personally think should be left till later, along with raw carrot, probably till LO has molars. Grating would be fine, though, but apple goes brown very quickly.

Citrus will stop it browning. A little lemon, lime or orange juice spritzed on it is all it needs.

Is pear the same as apple? xx

If it's ripe, pear goes soft and juicy and so easy for even toothless babies to eat. Adam LOVES pear, it was one of the first fruits he was offered, big chunks of it. Just trim off the core and seeds and stalk, I leave the skin on to make it easier to hold as it tends to be slippery.

hivechild, thanks, I did know that but don't actually like the apple taste with citrus juice on, so I wouldn't bother unless I was making a fruit salad. :)

I only just started giving Harry apple in the past couple of weeks, but because he has no teeth, he was just sucking the heck out of it instead of 'eating' it... however, if I peel it & cut it into chunks & give it to him when it's relatively ripe, he manages to eat it just fine... Still, he'd rather eat a whole pear or banana over an apple anyday!

how many times should food be offered a day? im confused right now she just gets eaither a dinner or lunch depending if she naps. and how much should i offer? she will just keep eating it seems

how many times should food be offered a day? im confused right now she just gets eaither a dinner or lunch depending if she naps. and how much should i offer? she will just keep eating it seems

We started with just breakfast and dinner for a couple of weeks.your LO won't need 3 meals a day for a while. Once Sophia had got the hang of eating more we moved her on to 3 meals day. Of course the more opportunity you give them to practice the quicker they get better at it! So you can't really offer too much as if they aren't interested they won't bother with it.

We seem to be going backwards lately, Jacob seems to have no interest in his meals, he either gets really annoyed or just this last two days, he lifts pieces of food of his tray bit by bit and just throws them on the floor and then looks at me as much to say "what are you going to do about it Mummy"? Is this a normal phase? Has anyone else went through this? Please tell me it gets better again as we were doing so so well :(

I have a poop question :blush: ... How long after your LO started swallowing food did it take for their poops to change consistency/become firmer (not just with bits coming out the other end)?

We seem to be going backwards lately, Jacob seems to have no interest in his meals, he either gets really annoyed or just this last two days, he lifts pieces of food of his tray bit by bit and just throws them on the floor and then looks at me as much to say "what are you going to do about it Mummy"? Is this a normal phase? Has anyone else went through this? Please tell me it gets better again as we were doing so so well :(

Obviously my LO isn't as old but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that it's a normal developmental phase around Jacob's age. No doubt someone with more experience will be able to put your mind at ease!

re: poo question - I only know this because I took a photo of the first proper adult-looking poo that Adam did (gross, I know but it was such a novelty!) and I just looked back and it was around 5 weeks after we began BLW, he was 6 and a half months old. :lol:

:rofl: Thanks Mary Jo. I won't be surprised at myself if I end up doing the same thing!

Ruby did this for a while. Now she only does it if I've failed to notice other more subtle signs that she is either not hungry at all, or has finished. These days she just pushes her plate away gently, and / or hands me each piece of food / puts everything onto my plate.
It's a communication thing, atm it's his only way of telling you he doesn't want to eat for whatever reason, it will change soon.

Thanks, it's just so frustrating when they do it though isn't it. He didn't eat any breakfast this morning either but I did manage to get him to eat some toast a bit later on. He didn't eat any lunch either but his teeth are playing him up really badly today :(

Poo Question!

The last few days Bun's poos have really started to change - I guess he's eating more. But OMG the smell is SO SO rank!!! I guess I was in dreamland thinking that baby poos don't really smell bad. He has been breastfed, so his poos didn't really stink - I wouldn't know if there was poo in the diaper by the smell.
But NOW! I really can hardly stand it! Wayyyy worse than regular poo! :sick:
Does it get less stinky as their digestive system gets used to the food? :wacko:

Poo Question!

The last few days Bun's poos have really started to change - I guess he's eating more. But OMG the smell is SO SO rank!!! I guess I was in dreamland thinking that baby poos don't really smell bad. He has been breastfed, so his poos didn't really stink - I wouldn't know if there was poo in the diaper by the smell.
But NOW! I really can hardly stand it! Wayyyy worse than regular poo! :sick:
Does it get less stinky as their digestive system gets used to the food? :wacko:

NOPE :haha:

Meat... How rare can bubs have it now he's one? We were at a wedding and got served lamb steaks - delicious but the middle was very pink, not bloody but just perfectly soft & pink in my opinion. I gave G some bits of the edges but he surprised me by loving it! He's not usually a big meat eater! He ate all the outer layer then wanted more and seemed to choose the pinkest bits on his tray. He probably had nearly half mine & a good chunk of OHs - we went with it coz we were delighted he chose meat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->