BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

im almost finally ready to join here! Kailee is 5.5 months old now we are getting a high chair in a few days. she can sit for about a minitue on her own now. shes had toast like 2 times she was screaming for my food and it calmed her down she mostly just made it soggy and spit it out. but the other day she had some of my banana and picked it up herself and ate it! im excited! doing a bunch of shopping this week and picking up her stuff. i dont shop often so i tend to stock up on stuff lol ive kind of figured ill have to go oncew a week and buy fresh veg. and fruit tho. also i dont have a steamer or anything like that so is there any other way to steam or anything?

You could use a microwave bottle sterilizer if you have one! :rofl:

I know what you mean about stocking up vs frequent shops for fresh produce too. I'm happy we will ne getting into this during the summer so I can go too the local farmer's markets around here.

Chuckle... it's amazing what they suddenly go for, isn't it? Rowan adores tomato ketchup, to the extent that I have to mix it into her food because if I give it her on the side of her plate she'll just sit there eating it with her fingers and ignoring the actual food!

im almost finally ready to join here! Kailee is 5.5 months old now we are getting a high chair in a few days. she can sit for about a minitue on her own now. shes had toast like 2 times she was screaming for my food and it calmed her down she mostly just made it soggy and spit it out. but the other day she had some of my banana and picked it up herself and ate it! im excited! doing a bunch of shopping this week and picking up her stuff. i dont shop often so i tend to stock up on stuff lol ive kind of figured ill have to go oncew a week and buy fresh veg. and fruit tho. also i dont have a steamer or anything like that so is there any other way to steam or anything?

You can steam stuff in a collander over a saucepan of water on the hob (you need to cover the collander in foil so that teh steam doesn't escape. We don't steam anything, Sophia's veg gets boiled. Good luck, it is all very exciting!

I do a fresh food shop about twice a week now. I just plan for the next few days and work around it. LO changes his mind so regalarly about what he likes and doesn't like that I need to change it all round very often!

You can steam stuff in a collander over a saucepan of water on the hob (you need to cover the collander in foil so that teh steam doesn't escape. We don't steam anything, Sophia's veg gets boiled. Good luck, it is all very exciting!

boiling sounds easier lol im glad thats an option as i wasnt sure. she had some of my oatmeal today. she begs and i just kind of give in. she had a small moments of like gaging i think but i left her and she jjust coughed and was all good :happydance:

boiling sounds easier lol im glad thats an option as i wasnt sure. she had some of my oatmeal today. she begs and i just kind of give in. she had a small moments of like gaging i think but i left her and she jjust coughed and was all good :happydance:

I normally steam the veggies at home, but now that we've been with my in-laws and they don't have a steamer I boil the veggies. I think that by boiling with little but enough water and making sure veggies are not overcooked, they keep their vitamins. That's just my theory though :winkwink:

Hello all :hi:

Blimey, it's been ages since Ive been in here :blush: Ive been so blooming busy now that Im back at work - I barely seem to have time to lie down let alone come in here!!

How is everyone doing? Gabriella is still doing amazingly well - She eats most things still and lots of it too!! She has started to refuse foods sometimes though, which she never did before. Did anyone else's LO start to do this at around 9 months? :shrug: She was happily gobbling down raspberries last night, but completely refusing strawberries, - which previousy she loved, so I tried cutting them up into raspberry sizes incase it was the size that was daunting her - but she put a piece in her mouth, screwed up her face, took it out and carried on with the raspberries!! Im not stressing about it, just wondering if other LO's do it too??

Also, how much food is too much?? I mean, I know you're supposed to let them eat as much as they want, but last week when OH was at home and I was at work he gave Gabriella 5 FULL WEETABIX for breakfast!! And she ate the lot! The same happened again this morning at nursery! Surely 5 full weetabix is too much for an almost 9 month old? I couldnt manage to eat that much! Maybe 3 max??

When Ive given her weetabix before for example, Id give her 2, and if she was still hungry, Id give her something like a banana, and then a yoghurt :thumbup:

Can anyone help?? xx

I give a big bowl of shreddies then move on to fruit yoghurt toast etc. I worry about the fibre preventing other things from being absorbed. It astounds me how much g has for brewkkie tho some days!

Yes I was also worried about the fibre content, thats why I asked ...

xx

Yeah I'd go onto other foods after 2 weetabix I think. She must loooove it!
Ruby also started refusing a few foods she'd previously liked, mostly fruit and veg...

Yes I was also worried about the fibre content, thats why I asked ...

xx

I think I'd def make sure other foods were available - if she chooses weetabix over other options then she could truly need it but if that's the only option then I'm less confident in her selection.... Just me though!

Thankyou :hugs:

I think im going to have to have a chat with them at nursery about her eating xx

The BLW tantrums are back :cry:

Started again a few days ago and he's had (at least) one every day since so looks like they're here to stay...

Not sure i can cope with a 2nd round of them so tonight Toby had his 1st ever puree tea...:(

The BLW tantrums are back :cry:

Started again a few days ago and he's had (at least) one every day since so looks like they're here to stay...

Not sure i can cope with a 2nd round of them so tonight Toby had his 1st ever puree tea...:(

Rebaby, are you sure it's not teething pain? I know Jacob can get very stroppy at meals if he's suffering, I usually give him a little teething gel before a meal when he's having a bad day and that can help.

I think it probably is teething related but calgel/calpol is making little difference right now :( He is doing what he used to do- he'll pick something up have a go at it, and then quite suddenly out of nowhere fling it down and start screaming and then it quickly dissolves into chaos :(

It is happening with all sorts of things regardless of soft/crunchyness as well so i am really struggling to know what else to do.

At least when it used to happen he was only 6 months ish old and still breastfeeding loads so i could think "oh well, if he doesn't eat he's still getting all he needs from my milk" but lately (i've posted over in the bf section) he has taken to dropping his feeds/refusing the breast and his feeding is all over the show. Last week in a matter of days he went from 6-7 breastfeeds in 24 hours to 2-3, although today we were back up to 5 short ones. My poor boobs don't know what is going on and tbh neither do i!

Weaning is by far the most stressful part of having a baby imho!

What about offering him really cold food?

Culann was pretty bad just before the weekend. One day he ended up having 2 yoghurts, and loads of cold raspberries and I'm nearly sure it was only because they were so cold and soothing against his gums. Anytime I offered him warm-ish food, he would get annoyed and rub his ear (he does this when he is stressing).

Potentially silly question :blush:

How do you feed BLW babies sloppy foods? Like mashed potato and foods with sauces etc? xx

Potentially silly question :blush:

How do you feed BLW babies sloppy foods? Like mashed potato and foods with sauces etc? xx

Mashed potato - I put blobs of it in front of Ruby and she picks them up.
Sauces - things like curry, it coats the meat / veg so she gets it like that. I sometimes give some bread too if there's a lot of sauce.

Some people load a spoon then hand it to their LO to feed themselves but Ruby never enjoyed that, so she only really ate yoghurt once she could dip her own spoon into a pot/bowl.

Sorry if this has been asked before. We started BLW with a few fruits and veggies about 10 days before 6 months. Alex isn't massively interested yet, I generally only offer him real food once a day (sometimes twice). In the last 4 days he has started being sick after his meals (both food and some breast feeds), very unusual for him, is it a normal weaning phase that they all go through as their tummies adjust or sign of an allergy? I suppose it could be a bug, but he seems perfectly OK otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->