BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Hi, me again :hi:

Thanks for your suggestions Sun, I will def be trying them out :thumbup: I do have a couple more questions that I can't find the answers to (having some probs with the search engine).

Preloaded spoons, do you just place them on the tray or hand to baby? if you put on tray which way round do you place them :dohh:

What is the best yoghurt, is it greek yoghurt? I know to avoid sugary ones eg petit filous. Does he want pro-biotic ones?

Cereals - I think I read on here I can use full fat cows milk on cereal is that correct? He drains a 9 oz bottle after waking and it is between this and his morning nap that he has breakfast. Plus if it were mini shredded wheat or weetabix, does he just dive in with his hands or do we do this with pre-loaded spoons?

Also you guys mention cream cheese- can he have dairylea or is there a better one?

One more (for now :blush:) if I look on a packet is there a max sugar and salt content per 100gms that I need to watch out for? Its just like cheeses/cereals/breads I'm a bit worried about choosing the wrong one for him

Thanks, sorry thats a bit of a long one xx

Thanks for your suggestions Sun, I will def be trying them out :thumbup: I do have a couple more questions that I can't find the answers to (having some probs with the search engine).

Preloaded spoons, do you just place them on the tray or hand to baby? if you put on tray which way round do you place them :dohh: I do both, if I place on the tray then i place with the handle facing Sophia

What is the best yoghurt, is it greek yoghurt? I know to avoid sugary ones eg petit filous. Does he want pro-biotic ones? i use Rachel's organic, but greek yoghurt is good, you can add some fruit puree to add sweetness if you like

Cereals - I think I read on here I can use full fat cows milk on cereal is that correct? He drains a 9 oz bottle after waking and it is between this and his morning nap that he has breakfast. Plus if it were mini shredded wheat or weetabix, does he just dive in with his hands or do we do this with pre-loaded spoons?yep full fat cows milk is fine. I dampen the mini shredded wheat with milk so itis soft but still stays together then sophia picks them up with her hands

Also you guys mention cream cheese- can he have dairylea or is there a better one? Sophia has Philly but i just look for the one with the least amount of salt

One more (for now :blush:) if I look on a packet is there a max sugar and salt content per 100gms that I need to watch out for? Its just like cheeses/cereals/breads I'm a bit worried about choosing the wrong one for himunder 1 year they should have a max of 1g of salt a day. So I always just looked for the variety of bread etc with the lowest salt content, this turns out usually to be the cheapest/ value brand for most things

Hope that helps a bit :hugs:

Preloaded spoons, do you just place them on the tray or hand to baby? if you put on tray which way round do you place them :dohh: I do both, if I place on the tray then i place with the handle facing Sophia

What is the best yoghurt, is it greek yoghurt? I know to avoid sugary ones eg petit filous. Does he want pro-biotic ones? i use Rachel's organic, but greek yoghurt is good, you can add some fruit puree to add sweetness if you like

Cereals - I think I read on here I can use full fat cows milk on cereal is that correct? He drains a 9 oz bottle after waking and it is between this and his morning nap that he has breakfast. Plus if it were mini shredded wheat or weetabix, does he just dive in with his hands or do we do this with pre-loaded spoons?yep full fat cows milk is fine. I dampen the mini shredded wheat with milk so itis soft but still stays together then sophia picks them up with her hands

Also you guys mention cream cheese- can he have dairylea or is there a better one? Sophia has Philly but i just look for the one with the least amount of salt

One more (for now :blush:) if I look on a packet is there a max sugar and salt content per 100gms that I need to watch out for? Its just like cheeses/cereals/breads I'm a bit worried about choosing the wrong one for himunder 1 year they should have a max of 1g of salt a day. So I always just looked for the variety of bread etc with the lowest salt content, this turns out usually to be the cheapest/ value brand for most things

That is excellent, thanks again for your help :hugs:

No worries - sorry for the rather short replies - nearly my bedtime! Make sure you keep us updated with how things are going

That is excellent, thanks again for your help :hugs:

Keep in mind that 1g of salt is only 0.4g of sodium!

I use full fat plain greek yogurt with the monkey myself. It's thicker so stays on stuff easier, and is richer in protein and fats good for babies! He will happily eat it plain but likes it with fruit purees mixed in, or used as a spread on rice cakes or on a baked/jacket potato instead of sour cream.

At what age did everyone start giving their LO pasta?

I eat ALOT of pasta meals and can't wait until M can have some, but I'm scared she'll choke on it! She hasn't got any teeth yet, but I'm worried she'll chomp a shape in half and it will get stuck in her throat. Am I being silly, or did you wait until they were a but older/more skilled at handling food before giving pasta?

I've read that the twisty shapes are good, what happens with spaghetti?

I tried periodically from 6 months but after eating 3 shells the first time he point blank refused it in every form I tried until he was about 12 months. Others have had much more success!

I first gave my LO pasta at 6 months. He only had a couple of teeth then, but didnt really use them for eating much; he managed fine. we've found the twists to be best cos tehyre easy to grip, just make sure its really well cooked so nice and soft for your lo to gum down xx

It was one of the first things Sophia was given when she 6 months. She didn't have any teeth and managed fine - just make sure it is overcooked!

My LO has a bit of trouble with big pasta chunks, but I regularly give him little pasta Os and he loves these. He just picks up handfuls with the sauce and shovels it in!
My LO also doesn't have teeth yet - but they eat so many things by just gumming them! xx

Thanks for the replies - I'll bite the bullet and try her soon. Although I'm slightly concerned now because I'm pretty sure she's allergic to eggs. I'm sure the small amount in pasta will be fine, but I might get some 'free from' pasta just in case until I've spoken to my GP

Pasta was the first thing I gave Devin when we started BLW last week. He didn't even touch it. lol
I haven't tried again lately though, was waiting until we had pasta for supper.
Cocoa-good luck finding foods without egg in them. My sister's allergic, and some times we have real trouble trying to find foods without it in them.

Thanks for the replies - I'll bite the bullet and try her soon. Although I'm slightly concerned now because I'm pretty sure she's allergic to eggs. I'm sure the small amount in pasta will be fine, but I might get some 'free from' pasta just in case until I've spoken to my GP

I have found lots of vegan pasta that I feed to LO (Bun has a dairy intolerance - we don't know if it is a allergy or not yet) so I have been doing lots of label-inspecting!! I have found many pastas made with brown rice, quinoa or kamut are dairy and egg-free whereas regular pastas generally aren't. xx

Just checked and the pasta I've got hadn't got egg in anyway. Taking her to Drs in a mo because she's whingey and got a fever. Bloody eggs!

tomato, cucumber, carrot ( raw ) bread/toast, porriagewith yougurt mixed in for sweetness fruit purees off a preloaded spoon ( very messy ) and lunch today has been sliced tomato segmants without seeds and avacado and pear mashed up on rice cakes and hes doing pretty well with ithes eaten about a 1/3 of an adult size ricecake and about 1/3 of a tomato lol, got some carrot to lightly cook for him to have for dinner with some breadand maybe some of a homemade burger lol

hes had porriage for the last couple of mornings for breakfast and yesterday it was a fruit lunch and no time for dinner as we werent at home,
lol i really need to dig out some bibs or get some full covering ones for him hes got a muslin draped round him at the moment.

Wow Lynn....he's doing really well! I'm jealous!
Devin just started BLW, and he's not really eating much yet. Just a few chunks here and there. It's so cute, because he gags as he swallows it. At first I was freaking, but now I at least know when he's getting some down! lol

ej didnt eat much till i found what worked 4 him that he could bite but wouldnt choke on and tomatos are great he chews the flesh off the skin and leaves the skin lol
and he will drink near on 50oz of expressed milk in a day so defo good that hes eating something too now

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->