BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Hi lynnikins - welcome!!!

EJ seems like he is getting right into it!!! Bun hardly ate a thing until he was 7.5 months so they are all different with BLW. He eats so well now though! I found that carrot had to be really well cooked for him to eat it - otherwise he would get chunks off, but they would just fall out of his mouth lol. Bun also LOVES his porridge and eats it every day - he doesn't like fruit too much, so I use the porridge to get fruit into him. I cook grated apples, pears, dried fruit (dates, plums, apricots) blueberries with the porridge and he loves it - apple on it's own not so much.

curlykate - Bun used to make a really painful gagging swallowing sound when he first started, but they get the hang of things so fast! Bun was a big fan of scraping toppings off toast at first, then the toast would eventually sog to the point where he could eat it!

xx

ej didnt eat much till i found what worked 4 him that he could bite but wouldnt choke on and tomatos are great he chews the flesh off the skin and leaves the skin lol
and he will drink near on 50oz of expressed milk in a day so defo good that hes eating something too now

Wow 50oz! Max has around 24oz, he's just not bothered by food at all and still takes the same size bottles he did at 6 weeks. Am a bit confused, just hoping it's because he was 3 weeks early and he'll be ravenous for food soon

yep and he was taking that from 5wks lol but he was 10lb 12oz when born and currently im betting around the 24lb mark so was always gonna be a hungry child hehehe his brother was the same

yep and he was taking that from 5wks lol but he was 10lb 12oz when born and currently im betting around the 24lb mark so was always gonna be a hungry child hehehe his brother was the same

Wow - 24lbs at 6 months - no wonder he is a hungry guy!!!! :thumbup: My LO just passed 20lbs a few weeks back, but he was on the small side for a long time...

My LO just got weighed today...he's 21lbs! I can't believe it! He was 8lb 4oz when born.
But his daddy was big like that too! I compared with MIL, and Devin's growth is pretty much identical to his Daddy's. They were even 2oz and .5 inches apart at birth!

ej didnt eat much till i found what worked 4 him that he could bite but wouldnt choke on and tomatos are great he chews the flesh off the skin and leaves the skin lol
and he will drink near on 50oz of expressed milk in a day so defo good that hes eating something too now

Wow 50oz! Max has around 24oz, he's just not bothered by food at all and still takes the same size bottles he did at 6 weeks. Am a bit confused, just hoping it's because he was 3 weeks early and he'll be ravenous for food soon

Wow 50oz of expressed milk...I'd have been there for about 50 hours trying to get that out in my expressing days :)
Ruby drank 50oz of formula some days around the 4 month mark but decreased after that and has never been a 'hungry baby' since, despite being consistently high on the charts...

Need a little encouragement. Stoping with my mum for a few awhile why me and my oh get a new house. I am BLW my 7 month girl. Somedays she hardly eats anything. My mum keeps commenting on how little she eats. Saying i should feed her jars ect. But me and my LO love BLW. She has improved loads since 6 months. Hardly wastes aanything from toast and rice cakes and melon. But everything else is a bit hit and miss for how much she eats. She is putting weight on and is still following the same percentile line. She has 28oz milk a day as well. We are doing ok arnt we? She dont need more food just yet does she? I can tell when she has had enough cause she pushes her food on to floor lol

Ruby was still eating nothing at your LO's age haha.
Of course she's doing fine, stick to your guns, have you got the book? Maybe get your mum to read it!

Sounds like you are doing great, a lot of babies don't eat anything until 8 months (or later). As long as LO is happy and you are happy then stick with it. She will be getting everything she needs from food and milk, and obvisouly is as she is still following her centile line. Don't let your mum make you feel bad, she will eat more solids when she needs more solids :hugs:

Need a little encouragement. Stoping with my mum for a few awhile why me and my oh get a new house. I am BLW my 7 month girl. Somedays she hardly eats anything. My mum keeps commenting on how little she eats. Saying i should feed her jars ect. But me and my LO love BLW. She has improved loads since 6 months. Hardly wastes aanything from toast and rice cakes and melon. But everything else is a bit hit and miss for how much she eats. She is putting weight on and is still following the same percentile line. She has 28oz milk a day as well. We are doing ok arnt we? She dont need more food just yet does she? I can tell when she has had enough cause she pushes her food on to floor lol

I agree you are doing well!! My LO was just like Mum2b_Claire's - he didn't really eat anything at all until he was 7.5 months. And by hardly anything, I mean he might put something in his mouth every other day or so - but never actually swallow anything. We started seeing "evidence" in his diaper at 7.5 months. You LO is doing great and getting everything she needs from milk anyway. She is learning about food, taste, texture at her own pace. Really, a little jar of pureed carrot offers so much less than your milk so I wouldn't worry at all. She will soon be eating and feeding herself so well it will amaze everyone. By the time Bun was 9 months people that had previously been saying he should be spoon-fed baby rice were bragging about how great BLW is. She'll get there - sounds like she is already well on her way!! :hugs:

thanks guys. What book is best to get? I see evidence in her nappy to. I love our meal times together. Its fun eating as a family. I have tried to explan to me my mum that kacey blw is better in long run as we eat blw not purree. I do feel better now. Im hoping she will eat mini christmas dinner. The only thing i worry bout is she puts so much in her mouth at the same time i worry she will choak x

thanks guys. What book is best to get? I see evidence in her nappy to. I love our meal times together. Its fun eating as a family. I have tried to explan to me my mum that kacey blw is better in long run as we eat blw not purree. I do feel better now. Im hoping she will eat mini christmas dinner. The only thing i worry bout is she puts so much in her mouth at the same time i worry she will choak x

Bun still does that! He hasn't swallowed what's in his mouth and is putting more in :dohh: But he is doing it less as he figures out that it is harder to eat that way... The only book I know of is Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley (I think that's the main one) - it's the only one I've read. xx

James does that as well! We call him hamster cheeks lol.

She'll def eat a mini xmas dinner by then, James is on full roast dinner now! xx

im soooo excited about christmas lol. Thanks for all your reasurance. The contence of her nappy just now has told me she is having something lol

How can i give my LO yogurt or porridge etc?, he wont let me even try to help him and he just plays with the spoon so everything just drops off!!. He also will not drink anymore water, I've tried a cup with a spout and a doidy cup which he used to love, he just shuts his mouth and shakes his head squealing!. He has just dropped a bottle so he is only on 3 bottles a day so I'm worrying he isn't drinking enough, any ideas would be great thanks

kirmal12 - I still worry Bun isn't drinking enough since he drinks very little water, but it is more than he used to drink so I am focusing on the improvement. He also only breastfeeds 3x/day - but the middle of the day feed is really small. He does drink from an open cup (tried every sippy out there!) but usually only tiny sips or he spits it out - he drinks the most at dinner. Will your LO drink water out of a bottle?? I would just keep offering small amounts during the day - Bun has slowly upped his water consumption this way. I offer when we are out too - just sips from my water bottle every once and a while.

My LO doesn't eat yoghurt (dairy intolerance) but he eats porridge every morning with his hands. He just scoops it into his mouth lol. I make it thick so it is easier for him though. He will take a pre-loaded spoon toward the end of the meal when he is less hungry and more willing to experiment. Also I give him runny foods with a dipper (like toast fingers, rice cakes, fruit slices, or veggies) - maybe he would eat fruit dipped in yoghurt? It did take a while before Bun ate with the spoon instead of playing with it!!! xx

kirmal12 - I still worry Bun isn't drinking enough since he drinks very little water, but it is more than he used to drink so I am focusing on the improvement. He also only breastfeeds 3x/day - but the middle of the day feed is really small. He does drink from an open cup (tried every sippy out there!) but usually only tiny sips or he spits it out - he drinks the most at dinner. Will your LO drink water out of a bottle?? I would just keep offering small amounts during the day - Bun has slowly upped his water consumption this way. I offer when we are out too - just sips from my water bottle every once and a while.

My LO doesn't eat yoghurt (dairy intolerance) but he eats porridge every morning with his hands. He just scoops it into his mouth lol. I make it thick so it is easier for him though. He will take a pre-loaded spoon toward the end of the meal when he is less hungry and more willing to experiment. Also I give him runny foods with a dipper (like toast fingers, rice cakes, fruit slices, or veggies) - maybe he would eat fruit dipped in yoghurt? It did take a while before Bun ate with the spoon instead of playing with it!!! xx

I'm offering him water as often as possible, he drank from a open cup really well he just wont touch it now for some reason. I'm still offering a sippy cup too, i just don't want him to get him used to drinking anything but milk out of bottle, perseverance i think!. He doesn't seem to like fruit but I'm going to keep trying. good idea about the porridge i'll try that in the morning:thumbup: thank you:thumbup:

I feel like a failure :cry:

I've bought 3 jars of food. Max just still isn't interested. He puts things in his mouth all the time but when it comes to food he's just not bothered. He eats about a quarter of a rice cake at breakfast and pretty much just sucks things we give him once before dropping them. No changes in his nappy because he's just not eating

Please convince me to continue BLW :cry:

Chele, he is still really young, most babies are not eating anything BLW style by his age as they would have only be weaning for a couple of weeks. Oh and you can't fail at BLW, your little boy is telling you he isn't ready for food, how clever is that (certainly not failure) and when he is ready he will start to eat it. As long as you keep offering him a range of foods to try, one day soon he will suprise you by tucking in. Please take his cues, if he is telling you that he isn't ready for food, then in my humble opinion giving him jarred food on a spoon is not going to help! He will still be getting EVERYTHING he needs from milk. I know it is hard but you have to trust him to lead you through the weanign process - it is all in the name Baby led Weaning :hugs:

Thank you. I just need a kick up the preverbial.
I persevered with tea time and he enjoyed some of his crackers and new flavour rice cakes. I'll keep on plodding on

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->