BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Okay now I've got some problems!

Alex loves to drop everything on the floor. The miracle of gravity is fascinating. This has been going on 2 weeks and the vet complained our dog is getting fat. Any tips? Wait for him to outgrow it?? He's not eating much at all. Kind of annoying TBH. He has 4 top teeth and 2 bottom teeth, wish he could use them!!!!

My tip would be to lock the dog out whilst LO eats, and put a mat on the floor so you can pick up any food tossed over board and give it back to him. If after several attempts he still chucks it over again then take it he isn't hungry and get him down :thumbup: As long as he is still getting his milk he will ok, those teeth are a bugger!

We're having the same problem only LO is purposely giving the dog food, enticing him over and giggling when I say no. I would lock dog out but there is literally no where for him to go. Tonight, LO held his creme fraise-d hand out for max to lick, which he dutifully did, much to C's delight. Luckily it was the end of the meal and pre-bath :dohh:

Our boon bowl also arrived, which did its job and did NOT move from the tray. Only C then got frustrated that he couldn't move it and proceeded to scoop the food out with his hands over the side :dohh:# 2! Hopefully he'llget used to it :)

Let me guess -- the babies chucking everything on the floor are somewhere around 8-10 months???

It seems to be a phase most go through right around then. Otter did... and when I asked about it I got the same answer... all 8-10 months olds (give or take a bit) do it for quite awhile. :dohh:

Otter eventually outgrew it. But the dog now weighs over twice what she should! :rofl:

Oh, I should add... I would give him 2 chucks. The third time he chucked something on the floor he didn't get it back. As he got older, I decreased that. Now, if something goes over on purpose, he doesn't get it back at all. If it goes over on accident, he gets it back once.

And about the yogurt, use a pre-loaded spoon and give it time. Otter had a terrible time learning to eat things like that. But now yogurt is his absolute favorite. :thumbup: And it is normal for them to not eat much for the first couple of months. :D

My wee dude is 14 months - he really should know better! He does eat a lot but he also chucks a lot. Its only mess so I don't mind, but I still wish he'd stop ;)

oh should add, when he chucks, I don't give back. I can't! I wash our floor everyday but I still wouldn't eat anything off it because of the dog :/

:rofl: Mine turned 8 months.... yesterday. How accurate :rofl: Thanks for the tips

Otter was still chucking at 14 months, too. :wacko: Especially if he was done or didn't want it.

Harry always throws whatever he doesn't want- he gets it back once, then we take it away. Sometimes he chucks his cutlery too! Thankgod he doesn't have a knife to throw!!!

Okay now I've got some problems!

Alex loves to drop everything on the floor. The miracle of gravity is fascinating. This has been going on 2 weeks and the vet complained our dog is getting fat. Any tips? Wait for him to outgrow it?? He's not eating much at all. Kind of annoying TBH. He has 4 top teeth and 2 bottom teeth, wish he could use them!!!!

Evie still does this sometimes :dohh:

Ruby has stopped throwing....apart from apple. She enjoys throwing apple, seeing it fall to the floor and saying 'oh dear! Floor!'

oh EJ enjoys throwing food on the floor, the wall , the table, his brother lol all fun and exploring we give it back once maybe twice then its gone for good and when he runs out then its time to get down lol hes learnt not to do it if he wants food

Evening all :flower: Having a real crisis of confidence with BLW.... I know they are just learning and exploring, but I am struggling to get him to do that now :dohh:

We started around 23 weeks because he was snatching food and going for it himself really. He was doing well, really interested, happy to try anything and enjoying himself at the table with us at mealtimes. He was even getting some down him, his nappies were interesting :gross:

He got a bit of bronchiolitis and as we were struggling so much to even get fluids into him, and having to feed little and often, solids obviously went by the wayside a bit, especially as he is not that old yet anyway.

He is 28 weeks now btw. Now he just doesn't want to be in the highchair at the table for more than a few minutes before he kicks off...... I'm not enjoying mealtimes myself now as I feel on edge, thinking as soon as I put him in the high chair he is going to start flapping and kicking off to come out.....

......and I am struggling so much to get the timing right in terms of him not being tired/not being too hungry/too full of milk etc, because he is a boob monster and has always fed pretty often.

Any reassurance/advice/slap around the head lol? :haha: I know it is really early days but I feel we've gone a bit backwards from his over-enthusiastic start and finding it hard with unsupportive family members/friends/HV...... (DH is v supportive of it though at least) and don't know how to move forward if he won't go in the chair / only tries something briefly then wants to get out. I don't really want to go to puree as I don't think that would be any 'easier'. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

pinkandfluffy - For the first few months, I was really casual about when and if I even offered Ronan food. I sat him down when he wasn't tired or too hungry and in a good mood. If it just didn't work out for the day, then we just didn't do meals and he nursed more frequently.

I made mealtimes casual and laid back because they can sense your stress. If he doesn't want to sit in his high chair, maybe try sitting him on your lap, or having a picnic on the floor. Make it fun and keep it easy for both of you. :) He's still so young that there's plenty of time for him to catch on! :thumbup:

pinkandfluffy - For the first few months, I was really casual about when and if I even offered Ronan food. I sat him down when he wasn't tired or too hungry and in a good mood. If it just didn't work out for the day, then we just didn't do meals and he nursed more frequently.

I made mealtimes casual and laid back because they can sense your stress. If he doesn't want to sit in his high chair, maybe try sitting him on your lap, or having a picnic on the floor. Make it fun and keep it easy for both of you. :) He's still so young that there's plenty of time for him to catch on! :thumbup:

Thank you - just had him in his bumbo in the lounge with me this morning and he fed himself a LOT of porridge!

All my friends are baby-ricing at 4 months saying their milk isn't enough (I know :dohh:) so I think I was feeling self conscious going the "hippy" route as hubby calls it lol.

Will try to chill out more, love the picnic on the floor idea :flower:

That's great! It's funny how as soon as you post about something worrying you, your LO decides to make you look silly by getting over it.

lol @ hippy route. My mum said that too :haha:

I think we're 'weaned', if thats possible?? This past while, LO has had his own full plate, own spoon and fork and tucks in - in a way that he never did before. He used to fight and want my plate but now that he has his own little plate he is so content :)

Boon bowl didn't work. When he realised that he couldn't tip the bowl, he just scooped the contents out with his hands. But with little plastic Ikea plates, he gets it. I hope I'm not premature in thinking this :)

Evening all :flower: Having a real crisis of confidence with BLW.... I know they are just learning and exploring, but I am struggling to get him to do that now :dohh:

We started around 23 weeks because he was snatching food and going for it himself really. He was doing well, really interested, happy to try anything and enjoying himself at the table with us at mealtimes. He was even getting some down him, his nappies were interesting :gross:

He got a bit of bronchiolitis and as we were struggling so much to even get fluids into him, and having to feed little and often, solids obviously went by the wayside a bit, especially as he is not that old yet anyway.

He is 28 weeks now btw. Now he just doesn't want to be in the highchair at the table for more than a few minutes before he kicks off...... I'm not enjoying mealtimes myself now as I feel on edge, thinking as soon as I put him in the high chair he is going to start flapping and kicking off to come out.....

......and I am struggling so much to get the timing right in terms of him not being tired/not being too hungry/too full of milk etc, because he is a boob monster and has always fed pretty often.

Any reassurance/advice/slap around the head lol? :haha: I know it is really early days but I feel we've gone a bit backwards from his over-enthusiastic start and finding it hard with unsupportive family members/friends/HV...... (DH is v supportive of it though at least) and don't know how to move forward if he won't go in the chair / only tries something briefly then wants to get out. I don't really want to go to puree as I don't think that would be any 'easier'. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Hi just wanted to say we are going through exact same thing at the moment and like you family members being unsupportive etc. I even started giving him purees but he hated that. So I have switched back to BLW and going to stick at it and not get myself stressed out about it.
Sam is also a boob monster and feeds quite often and I never seem too catch it at the right time but I am just offering him food when Toby has his.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->