BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Thanks Kirsten, it's good to actually think about what I'm doing. If I thought that not giving Elliot meat would affect his health negatively then I'd give it to him. I'm still not sure about the more balanced choice seeing both sides of it having to involve giving meat.

Elliot will see both sides of it as dp will eat meat around him sometimes so he'll probably be interested in it and ask about what it is. I think that however hard we try we'll influence our children by not eating meat. I think it also says in the 'bible' about them watching us eat to check foods are safe and that they know when we're eating different things. I tend to taste everything Elliot eats (unless it's a rusk or breadstick or something) to check its temperature and that it's ok (like that fruit doesn't taste dodgy or yoghurt sour that sort of thing).

I'm questioning myself about all this too. I think whichever way we both go our babies are going to get everything they need and have much healthier diets than many babies do :)

x

What I have bought for BLW'ing

Tommee Tippee Magic Mat (99p homebargains)
Tommee Tippee plates (one plate and one with compartments) and a bowl (69p-99p homebargains)
Various bibs with arms in (from Tesco, Sainsbury's & Ikea), I like the plastic ones best as you can give them a rinse and let them dry instead of having to wash them every time and they don't stain!

For eating away from high chair -
A shower curtain (50p from Asda!!)
A Bumbo tray (£9.99 from Amazon)

Feeding spoons - I got 3 free from various things I'd signed up for, Hipp was one and we've just used them.

Cup - Doidy cup, dp's mum bought him one of those cups with a lid on and I wasn't going to give it to him but dp did and Elliot just tipped it up and ended up covered in water anyway!!! I really like the Doidy cup and although it's harder work now I think it will help him learn to use a 'normal' cup and glasses etc loads quicker.

All we had was the high chair, spoons and Doidy when we started. I'd advise something to put under the high chair if you've got carpet!!!

Ohhh, and a camera - it took a few days not to take a photo everytime he picked a bit of food up... :lol:

:)

Elm its perfectly fine the way you are going about meat your not dead against him eating meat if he chooses when he's oler and it may not be till he gets to school that he'll do it, i chose to be a veggie at 6 yrs old and my parents are chef's and did their hardest to sway me lol, i was having none of it lol then when i was 17/18 i started eating little bits,
i will only buy british and organic meat when i shop i watch out for the british flag no way will i eat anything that says denmark or EU as britain is more humane an the animals have more space to grow etc...we always had chickens and never ad to buy them but now we only buy free range organic eggs, if i'm out for a meal 9/10 i choose the veggie version if its nice.

for meal times i had a highchair, tomme tippee bowl mat and tommee tippee bowls although i mostly end up holding the bowl and he'll empty it onto his tray, he's very messy but will eat most of whats on his tray. spoons i bought 49p pack from home bargains, the tommee tippee ones went sticky for some reason, i dont bother with bibs i sit him in his nappy teatime is the messiest meals, so he goes straight in the bath afterwards, but when we'r eout i've found a new bib that boots have bought out and its plastic like the tommee tippee one but loads softer i can squidge it up in one hand and doesnt restrict his movement at all. oh and 6 flannels i wipe his face with a nice warm flannel after every meal he doesnt mind having his face wiped at all i wipe the highchair down with it too.

x

Thanks ladies! :D

Just been chatting to my HV who's very supportive of BLW and she said it would be fine to start letting Aisling play with finger food now - she's 5 months on Friday, just wondering if this seemed a bit early in case she actually starts swallowing stuff? I know it can take them a while to get the hang of it so I guess getting her started wouldn't be a bad idea - just not sure what to do for the best! :wacko:

I started with finger foods at 5 months and 3 weeks. It took 2 weeks for her to start swallowing stuff.

She just had roast veg lasagne for lunch she loved it and she did so well! Im so proud of her. She looks like an ompa loompa now tho.

https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/Picture1501.jpg
https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/Picture1496.jpg

I started with finger foods at 5 months and 3 weeks. It took 2 weeks for her to start swallowing stuff.

She just had roast veg lasagne for lunch she loved it and she did so well! Im so proud of her. She looks like an ompa loompa now tho.

https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/Picture1501.jpg
https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/Picture1496.jpg

Ha ha love it xx

OMG those lasagne pics are so cute!!! She looks really happy :lol:

Lu someone said to me that when they're capable of putting it in their mouth, chew it and swallow then they're ready for it when I was worrying about Elliot starting too early!!

:hugs: xxx

So Sparks...........how did you get them stains out?!?!!! Meadow is gorgeous btw! x

Love Meadow's lasagne photos Sparks :D

xxx

I havent tackled the stains yet! I might regret going bibless when they dont come out. We have apron thingys that I usually use from tesco but they were in the wash.

Well we sat Aisling at the table with us and put some chopped up banana in front of her. She wasn't in any way interested in the banana but did shuffle down in her chair so she could gnaw on the side of the table instead! :lol:

:rofl: awww bless, she'll soon be picking it up,

i got rhys's stains out by soaking them in a bowl of milton over night works a treat

She's practising chewing!!!! Elliot still does that!!! x

love the pictures of meadow sparks she looks like she's really enjoyed it.

Jack has been sick bits of brocolli tonight which has got me strangely excited.

I tried to give Jack stuff on a plate but he threw it on the floor and the dog got to it before me, so i'm just putting stuff on his tray. bit worried the dog may have to go on a diet otherwise :rofl:

Yesterday morning i gave him porridge on his spoon and put the spoon on the tray. He couldn't get the porridge off the spoon in his mouth, so he used his other hand to scoop if off and push it into his mouth which totally amazed me. I didn't think he was that bright :blush:

That's so cute Claire-Lou!! :D

Tried Aisling with some apple today. We gave her a bit of a hand holding on to it but let her direct where it went. Once it started going near her mouth we let go and she shoved it in, took a small bite, chewed it for ages and eventually swallowed it! :shock::happydance: Can't believe it, didn't expect it to happen so fast!

Here's some pics of her doing the deed!

[IMG]https://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l393/nualamcanally/img_0984.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l393/nualamcanally/img_0987.jpg[/IMG]

Given that she's only 5 months tomorrow, should I just stick with plain fruit and veg for the moment before doing anything more exciting? Not too sure how to progress things and my Bible still hasn't arrived from Amazon :grr:

well, Niamh has been going to a childminder for almost 2 weeks now and the lady has asked for The Bible! :happydance: She's been so impressed with Niamh eating, and she's had so many interested comments from other Mums that she's decided to read up on it!

That is great news rafwife!!!

I need a bit of guidence on salt. I have no idea what is too much. The reason i ask is tomoorow we have an appointment around dinner time so while in the supermarket today i picked up some four cheese tortelloni and a tomato and mascarpone sauce as I thought itwould be quick and easy and manageable for Jack to pick up, but now I'm worried about the salt content and I've only given him things I've cooked so far such as veg, fruit, chicken and toast. Any help would be much appriacated. Thanks in advance

That's so cute Claire-Lou!! :D

Tried Aisling with some apple today. We gave her a bit of a hand holding on to it but let her direct where it went. Once it started going near her mouth we let go and she shoved it in, took a small bite, chewed it for ages and eventually swallowed it! :shock::happydance: Can't believe it, didn't expect it to happen so fast!

Here's some pics of her doing the deed!

[IMG]https://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l393/nualamcanally/img_0984.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l393/nualamcanally/img_0987.jpg[/IMG]

Given that she's only 5 months tomorrow, should I just stick with plain fruit and veg for the moment before doing anything more exciting? Not too sure how to progress things and my Bible still hasn't arrived from Amazon :grr:

Looks as though she is enjoying it hun!! I have given Olivia abit of apple a few times but she just sucks on them at the moment so well done Aisling xx

I am going to start Olivia with regular bits of fruit and veg on Monday so she can get used to handling the foods and hopefully start chewing before I start for real when she is 6 months xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->