BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Can't believe he was chewing the banana peel! :lol:

I've had some odd comments from family but my HV actually independently said that if I could continue bfing til 6 months and then start BLW that I'd be giving her the best start possible! :thumbup:

Funnily enough, my step MIL is one of the most critical about BLW and my DH saw her giving her 5 month old grandson cheese and onion crisps the other day! :shock: Now I'm just guessing that this level of salt would be bad for them...

Elliot has been mainly eating cardboard this week so the peel is an improvement... I was taking it away from him and he looked like he was going to cry!!!

Cheese and onion crisps??! Silly woman!!! x

https://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj170/elliecubed/baby led weaning/

ive finally got all my pics up of leyla BLW'ing

she looks sooo bloody cute!!!

x

I was just getting a bit wound up by reading things that I don't personally agree with and wanting to say how fantastic blw'ing but without saying what I don't agree with is wrong if that makes sense?!

I know that some babies need food earlier than others but reading some of the posts I feel that they're weaning their babies too early... just my opinion and that of the 'bible'.... see, can't help myself.... Don't want to be upsetting people again....

I've been absolutely fine with people around me. My hv didn't bat an eye lid - said it was unicef approved so it's fine! My mum was a bit oh right about it but prepared him a plate of food when we went for tea and loved watching him eat :D (she was surprised that he's a vegetarian though.. like I'm going to be giving him meat when I don't agree with it.... he can decide he wants to eat it later on when he's able to choose - I'm fine with that!).

I have questions for veggie BLW's! I am veggie but DH is not, I would like Freya to have the choice whether to eat meat or not but obv to do this she has to have some. I am not keen on giving it to her at all but want to do the best for her.

When do you plan to give your baby meat for the first time and what meat are you offering? I would only like to give her stuff that has nutritional benefits, not just meat for the sake of it.

If you will not give any meat, then what are the reasons?

I am soooo excited about doing BLW in a few months, also I'm stupidly excited about Christmas as Freya will be 7.5 months and joining in with the dinner! :happydance:

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Oh btw, you all sound like you're doing really well with it, sounds like loads of fun :)

Also, I think if they hurry up and change the labels on the jars to 6m+ then a lot more people will wait. I think they contradict themselves with their 4m/6m info and confuse some people which is why they end up weaning too early. Just my opinion!

:)

Kirsten I'm in a similar situation as you, the only meat I eat is chicken but DH eats it all. I figure that as long as it's decent meat e.g. steak etc then if DH would like her to have some he can donate some from his plate - it'll be interesting to see if he parts with his steak! :lol: Otherwise it's going to be veg and chicken for a while to come.

We are mostly veggie in our house. OH is, Im not but I am be default. Meadow had some roast chicken a couple of time when I cook it for lunch when OH isnt here. She probably will only have it every few weeks or so because I dont tend to buy it.

I have discovered she loves crumpets! I was trying to eat my breakfast whilst feeding her a bottle but she wasnt interested in her milk she wanted my crumpets! She loved them it was so funny.

I also agree labelling needs to be changed asap! People seem to assume that its ok because it says 4 months on the jars! :dohh:

the jars are confusing must admit, not everyone has access to the internet or even read a book, and even our hv in the last few weeks is saying 6 months and then she said well definetly not before 5 months :dohh: and then said there are some cases when even before 5 months is ok. so even hv's cant make their minds up.

everyones got an opinion and tbh what another person does doesnt interest me that much if they want to wean 6 weeks old thats their fault.

i've got no problem with jars i buy rhys the odd one for the cupboard he only like the organix ones in the plastic tubs or the hipp pasta veg ones, i just dip the spoon in and he licks it off. 9/10 times though he has what we have its alot easier probably save a jar of something nice for weekends when we eat alot later than him.

i tell you what though cant beat scrambled egg Rhys flaps his arm and squeals when he see's some of that coming :rofl:

Ive tried the loaded spoon thing with some yoghurt but she just used it as a drumstick on the tray! :rofl:

leyla refuses sloppy things aswell lol, it just goes everywhere, she bangs it on the tray then puts it to her mouth, then flegs cos theres no food on there :rofl:

i have been giving leyla meat since i started weaning her, i used to puree it but now just give her chunks of chicken or chunks of beef, she cant eat them obviously but just sucks on them, as far as i have heard all of the vitamins are in the juice anyway

x

ye adele they get all the nutrients out the meat by sucking on it..

Sparks Rhys still does that i have to hold his arm or onto the spoon sometimes i found giving him a spoon to hold as well helped.

so whats everyone lo's had for tea.

Rhys had baked sweet potato into wedges and jerk spicy chicken cooked in foil and butter and cut into strips cucumber and a mango and apple rice yoghurt thing made by cow & gate

he ate half a banana and crumpet for lunch like Meadow he lurrrrves crumpets

Well we've started, 6 months on tuesday, so I'm guessing 2 days ealy wont hurt, besides I'm working tuesday and I know it's selfish but I wanted to be the one to start it. And if truth be known I was too excited, couldn't wait any longer. Here's a picture

https://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/clairey-louy/Picture023-2.jpg

He looks quite scared by the whole experience. I've also learnt a valuable experience......tomorrow he is doing it in the buff :rofl::rofl:

I was just getting a bit wound up by reading things that I don't personally agree with and wanting to say how fantastic blw'ing but without saying what I don't agree with is wrong if that makes sense?!

I know that some babies need food earlier than others but reading some of the posts I feel that they're weaning their babies too early... just my opinion and that of the 'bible'.... see, can't help myself.... Don't want to be upsetting people again....

I've been absolutely fine with people around me. My hv didn't bat an eye lid - said it was unicef approved so it's fine! My mum was a bit oh right about it but prepared him a plate of food when we went for tea and loved watching him eat :D (she was surprised that he's a vegetarian though.. like I'm going to be giving him meat when I don't agree with it.... he can decide he wants to eat it later on when he's able to choose - I'm fine with that!).

I have questions for veggie BLW's! I am veggie but DH is not, ONE - I would like Freya to have the choice whether to eat meat or not but obv to do this she has to have some. I am not keen on giving it to her at all TWO - but want to do the best for her.

When do you plan to give your baby meat for the first time and what meat are you offering? I would only like to give her stuff that has nutritional benefits, not just meat for the sake of it.

THREE - If you will not give any meat, then what are the reasons?

I am soooo excited about doing BLW in a few months, FOUR - also I'm stupidly excited about Christmas as Freya will be 7.5 months and joining in with the dinner! :happydance:

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Oh btw, you all sound like you're doing really well with it, sounds like loads of fun :)

1. Don't understand that! Why does she have to 'make the choice' now? I'm thinking that Elliot can't really make the decision whether or not to eat dead animals (know that's emotive but that's what it is) so I've got to make it for him the same as I do about his other foods.

2. I don't think that I'm harming Elliot in any way by not giving him meat. I'm sure he's already getting a better diet than most babies in this country. I think that because he's not having meat I'm going to be more aware of ensuring that he has proteins from elsewhere.

There are loads of negatives around eating meat - it's decaying flesh, hard to digest, can be full of antibiotics and hormones, mad cows and all that.... don't think I need to go on, just wanted to point out that eating meat isn't necessarily all that healthy and better than vegetarianism.

3. I don't believe that it's necessary to kill animals to eat them, if I really think about it I find the whole thing disgusting. It's not necessary to give it to Elliot, he doesn't need it so I won't give it to him. If, when he is able to understand what meat is he chooses to eat it then that's fine with me but I won't be buying it for him.

4. Me too!!! I'm already planning decorations and presents and thinking about wrapping his presents up :D

Hope that all makes sense, I want to pass on my morals and beliefs in a way that allows Elliot to decide things for himself when he can x

Sorry Helen -

Elliot had breadsticks and a banana for lunch when we were out and a bit of carrot before tea but when it came to tea time he was too tired and started crying, think it's probably after hardly sleeping last night!!! He just had milk anyway and fell fast asleep.

Love the photo Clare-Lou :D
x

[/QUOTE]

1. Don't understand that! Why does she have to 'make the choice' now? I'm thinking that Elliot can't really make the decision whether or not to eat dead animals (know that's emotive but that's what it is) so I've got to make it for him the same as I do about his other foods.
I didn't mean she had to make a choice now, I meant in a few years she would make a choice which would maybe be more balanced if she had seen both sides of it. However, I was brought up vegetarian, had a go at eating meat in my teenage years and went back to being veggie pretty quickly. I believe that when I was growing up I thought of my mums reasons for being veggie as my own, so just wanted to provide an even more balanced choice than she did. Although I think I am completely right in being veggie, and would think the world a better place if everyone was, I want to let Freya make her own decisions COMPLETELY, not influenced by me at all. Also, I read in the 'bible' that babies know what they need nutritionally, so would eat meat if they needed the protein, which would be choosing to eat it. But as you said below, there are other forms of protein. :)

2. I don't think that I'm harming Elliot in any way by not giving him meat. I'm sure he's already getting a better diet than most babies in this country. I think that because he's not having meat I'm going to be more aware of ensuring that he has proteins from elsewhere. Yes, I agree that protein is found in many places, I am allergic to eggs and dairy, and DH to wheat and citrus things, so I'm sure we will be looking for interesting alternatives anyway! I am always on the lookout for protein filled foods and if I could provide Freya with enough protein without eggs (for a while) and meat then I would be happy not giving it to her. Her health is more important than my beliefs! Bring on the lentils! :rofl:

There are loads of negatives around eating meat - it's decaying flesh, hard to digest, can be full of antibiotics and hormones, mad cows and all that.... don't think I need to go on, just wanted to point out that eating meat isn't necessarily all that healthy and better than vegetarianism. I have never really thought much about these sort of negatives, I don't eat meat because I think it is awful to kill animals on such a large scale/hate the contitions they are kept and transported in/hate it that young and baby animals are killed/hate the mass production of it all. I think if I were to provide meat for Freya for the first few years of her life, I would be able to find meat somewhere that wasn't full of rubbish and had had a happy life and killed humanely.

3. I don't believe that it's necessary to kill animals to eat them, if I really think about it I find the whole thing disgusting. It's not necessary to give it to Elliot, he doesn't need it so I won't give it to him. If, when he is able to understand what meat is he chooses to eat it then that's fine with me but I won't be buying it for him. I totally see your point here. It's hard when DH thinks she def should have meat and I am so undecided. I need to do some proper thinking and work out what I will be doing!

4. Me too!!! I'm already planning decorations and presents and thinking about wrapping his presents up :D

Hope that all makes sense, I want to pass on my morals and beliefs in a way that allows Elliot to decide things for himself when he can x

Thanks for questioning me, people don't do it enough on here for fear of starting an argument! I will have a think about all this and practise making really healthy balanced veggie food. (I am lazy and pretty much live of vegetables!):thumbup:

x
[/QUOTE]

Hi ladies! I was just wondering if there's anything that I need to buy in preparation of starting BLW?? There's so many lists of things to buy for weaning but they all focus on purees etc, not BLW :wacko: Do I need baby friendly bowls and plates etc? What about cups, there seems to be lots of arguments about which ones are best... And any advice on types of bibs or should I just strip her down to her nappy?! :lol:

Thanks! :hugs:

Hi ladies! I was just wondering if there's anything that I need to buy in preparation of starting BLW?? There's so many lists of things to buy for weaning but they all focus on purees etc, not BLW :wacko: Do I need baby friendly bowls and plates etc? What about cups, there seems to be lots of arguments about which ones are best... And any advice on types of bibs or should I just strip her down to her nappy?! :lol:

Thanks! :hugs:

I was wondering this too actually xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"