BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

It's best to go at her pace hon. She'll eat when she's ready and in the meantime, milk should be her main feed - for that reason, I'd let her drop a milk feed only when she's ready :hugs:

Thanks hun I was hoping that was the case, its nice to have someone else confirm it though :hugs:

This weaning thing is all a bit complicated isn't it! :wacko:

Lol! I was thinking how much more complicated it is going to be for us in a few weeks :dohh:.

Which meal did/are you going to start with? I was thinking afternoon/tea time? It is difficult, as I want us to eat together as a family, but OH doesn't get home 'til 6, and Freya usually goes to bed at 6.30pm, so she is pretty tired by then. I can pick him up from work, which means he gets home at 4.30, but I guess I would have had to made the food before I go get him, and it's a 50 minute round trip. Arrrrgh. I think it's going to have to be that, or at least a few times a week, as I was really keen on us eating together.

What do you all do?

kirsten we try and eat together and i eat with rhys when we have breakfast and lunch, my oh doesnt get home till 6:30 some nights and thats rhys's bathtime then bed anytime from 7pm and 7:30pm.
it hasnt affected rhys that he eats in the kitchen while i'm still busying around in there, he sometimes eats better because we're not distracting him.
just eat when you can we all live in the real world and get these hurdles try not to worry.
blw is loads easier than standing mushing and mashing food to freeze. easier when you go out because you can just take a few finger sanwiches a banana and chunks of cheese 'sorted' you soon get used to it :)
have fun girls

OH, LO and I eat lunch together. When LO starts having other meals, I'll eat breakfast with him. he'll eat dinner while I have a snack and I'll eat dinner with OH. Weekends we'll eat all together. I didn't eat dinner with my Dad till I was at least 8, he worked till he evening.

I know, Jake says his dad always ate dinner later than the rest of them. I guess I will aim to get him home a few times during the week and we will eat together at weekends. I like the idea of snacking with Freya at dinner time then eating dinner with Jake when he gets home late. :thumbup:

We've also got the problem of OH not getting in until 6pm so the earliest we can offer her any dinner is 6.15pm (if I cook it ready for when he gets in). She'll go to bed between 7.30 and 8pm so at least it's enough time before she's tired.. It just depends when she wants her milk feed!

I'm giving Violet something to eat everytime I eat (apart from breakfast as I still have cereal until I go shopping at the weekend) as long as she's awake and happy.

So far she's had bananna, cucumber, red yellow and orange peppers and toast. She actually sucked a bit of toast off yesterday and had a small bit in her mouth..... I started panicking haha but she soon spat it out.

Oh I also wondered when you girls are planning or did start giving your LO's small food like cereals, pasta or rice etc? We had bolognese last night but I didn't feel there was anything that I could offer..?

Do I need to wait until she has the pincer grip before giving small food?

Not necessarily I don't think, from what I read in the book some babies shovel it up! Be interested to see if any of the seasoned BLW mums offered foods like that early on :)

So far we've tried: toast, bread, homemade pizza, banana, pear, avocado, red and green peppers, lettuce, porridge, asparagus and brocolli. Did try rice but none got near his mouth! I'll try other smaller 'awkward' things as and when we eat them.

Anyone else have a baby who loves to put food in their mouth, then blow raspberries or spit it back out?

Best way to deal with this?

At the minute I'm just praising her when she eats properly, and ignoring her when she's naughty.

How did you offer the porridge Asacia? I was thinking of offering it on a pre loaded spoon as Ruby plays with spoon and always puts the 'right' bit in her mouth...

How did you offer the porridge Asacia? I was thinking of offering it on a pre loaded spoon as Ruby plays with spoon and always puts the 'right' bit in her mouth...

I put it in a bowl, and handed him the spoon. He managed to put the spoon in the bowl, then put the spoon in his mouth, but the porridge didn't quite go where he wanted! I did put some porridge on the spoon, and then he got bored with the spoon and used fingers! You can't make it out on the photo, but there is porridge on his face, porridge in his hair, on his hands, on the table, on me, on the floor, on my mum etc.

https://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w48/aaselove/3-2.jpg

We've not had raspberries with food, but often have it with milk and sick!

Anyone else have a baby who loves to put food in their mouth, then blow raspberries or spit it back out?

Best way to deal with this?

At the minute I'm just praising her when she eats properly, and ignoring her when she's naughty.

:rofl: thats so funny although i probably wouldnt laugh if it were rhys lol.

rhys has a habit of spitting food out putting it back in he thinks its funny, but not cottoned on to rasberry blowing
x

It is funny :rofl: I have to try so hard not to laugh though! She does it with ALL food now and it's driving me nuts! She must be looking for a reaction.

Aisling's started to do that with her porridge, sprays it up the walls! :lol:

I've been loading the spoon for Aisling and handing it to her, she makes it to her mouth eventually! She gets annoyed after a while though that the food isn't coming quickly enough so I've ended up taking turns so I'll feed her 3 spoons, then she'll do 3 spoons. I'd love her to do it all herself but don't want mealtimes to turn into an ordeal for her either. She won't use her hands to feed herself small things yet so if anyone has any advice on that front... Also if there's any advice on gettting them to feed themselves anything that isn't bread based - that's all she'll do!

Do any other babies shake their heads when they swallow? It seems to give LO the shivers.

Do any other babies shake their heads when they swallow? It seems to give LO the shivers.

ye rhys does that too, esp if i give him a yoghurt out the fridge, and fruit thats maybe not so sweet as it could be, and rasberrys, he pulls a face at those till he gets into them

i very often feed rhys his porridge and yoghurts the rest he will happily feed himself, i found squishing mash onto his spoon was a good start as he could wave it round to his hearts content and werent stopping him because he was losing it all to the kitchen floor or wall haha.

i place one or two foods at a time in front of him, the more is on his tray the more he wants to whack it and pummel it into a pulp lol.
sweet potato wedges are great i cut them into 4 slices they have a lvely smell and bright in colour to get their attention, and they are sweet tasting. i sprinkled a few peas on there and to my astonishment he pincer picked them up.

does anyone elses baby use their spare hand or arm to steady the hand into their mouths, very clever how they do it. must get a video of him doing it. the night he had his hand under his elbow to keep his hand in place, think he gets achey arms:dohh:

Aisling's started to do that with her porridge, sprays it up the walls! :lol:

I've been loading the spoon for Aisling and handing it to her, she makes it to her mouth eventually! She gets annoyed after a while though that the food isn't coming quickly enough so I've ended up taking turns so I'll feed her 3 spoons, then she'll do 3 spoons. I'd love her to do it all herself but don't want mealtimes to turn into an ordeal for her either. She won't use her hands to feed herself small things yet so if anyone has any advice on that front... Also if there's any advice on gettting them to feed themselves anything that isn't bread based - that's all she'll do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->