BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Freya has been chewing on anything and everything, she is teething pretty bad again. This morning I gave her some raw carrot sticks as I knew she wouldn't eat them, but thought they were nice and cold.

She was really good with them! Obv they were too hard to bite but she was great at getting them in her mouth and chewed and sucked for ages. :)

Attachments

• DSC01864.jpg
    DSC01864.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
Aww cute pic xx

Well Olivia has just learnt how to manipulate the food in her hands so she can take better bites if she picks the food up at an odd angle. I cant believe how much she has progressed in a few weeks! xx

Wow...go freya! Countingdown...Olivia sounds like shes doing fab too! xxx

I really didn't (and don't) want to give her any food 'til she is 6 months in 2 weeks time. However it is getting increasingly difficult, and I sort of feel like I am waiting for my benefit now, not hers. I mean my benefit cos I wanted to wait til 6 months as I know that is right, but I really think she is getting ready and may not hold out another 2 weeks!

She sits with us at mealtimes and is no longer content with playing with a spoon/cup/toy, she doesn't 'want' our food, as I know she has no idea what it is, she just seems ready for something new, like she has reached all her milestones etc and is sooo bored with life now!

I spend all day entertaining her and playing with her, and I think she is ready for the next step, does that make any sense?

She either needs to crawl or put something that has a taste in her mouth!!! And I am preventing her doing the second one just out of stubborness at wanting to reach 6 months.

Is it ok to let her play with food now?:blush:

I'd say go for it hun! I know 6 months is the target, but I think it is only a very few babies who actually start swallowing for a few days/weeks anyway from what I have read. If you are woried, maybe keep going with things like the raw carrots if you have some cooked ones on your plate?? Or let her sit on your knee while you are eating just to see what she does? Obviously I'm no expert yet :rofl: so don't take what I have said as gospel! xx

Awww, look at Freya :)

So this morning Sofia decided at breakfast to take some bread from Daddy, and then she decided that all the talk in the book about how babies won't actually eat the food at first is just nonsense, she munched it down! Her Daddy cried, ha ha, might have a BLW convert!

At lunchtime we put bread in front of her again, and also dipped her spoon in the soup we were eating. Well, she's got very good control of the spoon, so far it's been going in her mouth first time and she approved of Mummy's vegetable soup... I think that's what her shouting and attempt to eat the spoon meant anyway!

Kirsten, as you know we've let Sofia play with food and have tastes of things before now, today was the day she decided to go for it.
I gave her some apple sticks this afternoon whilst I was eating on, but she just threw those on the floor!

Thanks, I think I will let her have a go now then. It isn't quite the momentous event I was hoping for, but nothing ever works like that does it!! Plus I picked my one and only apple today so she can eat that! :happydance: Right now she is trying to eat the laptop :dohh:

Maybe...

Well done Sofia on the bread!! Aw, does Miguel like the idea now then? :rofl: Sounds like she will be scoffing away in no time!

Ruby's not eating yet but I'm not sure what to offer her for breakfast. I was thinking of weetabix moistened with a little bit of milk but on inspection of the label, it contains added sugar and added salt :( Any breakfast ideas? She doesn't seem to find toast very appealing, but I guess it's very early days!

Fruit? Crumpets or something like that? I think shredded wheat has nothing added to it, not sure what it's like though for a baby! I think we will be trying porridge of some sort when the time comes, will prob buy a normal one with nothing added rather than a baby version. Hm, can't think of other stuff right now!

We do porridge and toast. I did try Weetabix but Aisling didn't like it, I'll try it again though. My HV suggested Weetabix as a breakfast and I know a good few ladies on here do Weetabix.

Hi BLWers... need some advice. Noah has started on purees at advice of HV butb once he's 6m I'm keen to mix it with BLW. However....

Yesterday my 15 month old niece stuck some broccoli in his face and he promptly gummed a bit off! My first reaction was OMG GET IT OUT! But I then thought hang on let's see what happens since I wanted to BLW anyway. But when I looked in his mouth there was a huge bit in there and so I took it out and broke it up a bit. Well he swallowed it but I suppose I defeated the object by breaking it up. I've read up on stuff and know about the gagging and keeping calm so I was shocked at my own reaction.

I suppose what I want to know is, is it ok if they do bite a big lump off? Will the gag reflex be enough with a big chunk. I'm still going to wait another couple of weeks but should I just stand back and let it happen once I do? Even if he's got a big mouthful of whatever?

We've tried porridge this morning! Made it really thick and kind of showed her a pre loaded spoon. She grabbed it and put it into her mouth, she swallowed a little bit and kept smiling, so assume she liked her.

Also it seems that her cue for 'I've had enough of this!' is banging on the tray.

Hi BLWers... need some advice. Noah has started on purees at advice of HV butb once he's 6m I'm keen to mix it with BLW. However....

Yesterday my 15 month old niece stuck some broccoli in his face and he promptly gummed a bit off! My first reaction was OMG GET IT OUT! But I then thought hang on let's see what happens since I wanted to BLW anyway. But when I looked in his mouth there was a huge bit in there and so I took it out and broke it up a bit. Well he swallowed it but I suppose I defeated the object by breaking it up. I've read up on stuff and know about the gagging and keeping calm so I was shocked at my own reaction.

I suppose what I want to know is, is it ok if they do bite a big lump off? Will the gag reflex be enough with a big chunk. I'm still going to wait another couple of weeks but should I just stand back and let it happen once I do? Even if he's got a big mouthful of whatever?

Yeah if he bites a big lump off, just try to let him deal with it, he will either spit it out or gag and then spit it out. When they have gagged on stuff a few times they learn not to put such bit pieces in their mouths. The gag reflex is there to deal with big chunks and lumps that are too far back.

I know I will find it hard to stand back and watch Freya gag on something, I don't know how I will find it. But I know it's going to happen, which somehow makes it worse! :hugs:

We've tried porridge this morning! Made it really thick and kind of showed her a pre loaded spoon. She grabbed it and put it into her mouth, she swallowed a little bit and kept smiling, so assume she liked her.

Also it seems that her cue for 'I've had enough of this!' is banging on the tray.

Which porridge do you buy? :)

I was eating some toast a couple of weeks ago and ern was watching it intently, so i gave him a piece and he was licking at the butter and proceeded to mangle it up in his hands,then cry for some more!:haha: so i gave him another piece and he was sucking at it like mad.

on saturday we had pizza and ern was watching us eat,so i sat him in his highchair and gave hima piece of the tomato flatbread-he was sucking like crazy at it-he loved it!!!

Yesterday we had a roast so i thought ill try him again so sat him in his highchair and put a few bits on his tray, piece of chicken, potato,carrot and yorkshire pudding. The chicken was a bit slippery he couldnt hold it, the carrot he liked, the potato was really soft inside and he sucked all the middle out and he loved the yorkshire pudding!! He seems to enjoy sitting up at the table with us although hubby was less than impressed at the mess:haha:

here are a few pics of ern with his 'dinner'

with his banana!
https://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o132/daftpics/Ernie006.jpg

with his roast dinner

https://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o132/daftpics/Ernie009-2.jpg

https://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o132/daftpics/Ernie014-2.jpg

Which porridge do you buy? :)

Quaker. It has nothing added to it... It's the one I eat myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->