BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Wow, he looks like hes really getting the hang of it!! Hes so adorable! xx

Awww Ern looks soooo cute!!

Claire, I bought Sofia semolina. Sofia's not so keen on porridge, she tastes it but doesn't eat much but this morning she ate a lot of semolina with stewed prunes in.

At lunch she munched on broccoli :happydance: then she was tired and wanted to go to bed. My parents are here with us and you could tell my Mum was a little bit dubious (she was a nursery nurse) but she's now really impressed with Sofia's cooridnation. My Dad's been reading the BLW book and been quoting bits of it over the dinner table "food is play at first" :rofl:

aww ern looks very cute!

i have a couple of question 4 u BLWers...how du know ur LOs r ready to start BLW? i'm not suggesting i'm gonna start yet but Kian has started waking up at night recently and people keep telling me stuff like 'maybe he's ready 4 babyrice' (i don't agree at 3 months!!! plus i don't really like the idea of mushy rice ever!?) but anyway it dawned on me that i don't really know much abt BLW or how to spot when Kians ready. Also i was wondering if anyone else had issues with their LO waking up 4 extra feeds at night b4 they were ready to b weaned and how did they avoid all the early weaning pressure? and last but not least...any good websites/books u guys know of on the subject of BLW?

cheers dearies x

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-W...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256598172&sr=8-1-spell

That book is the one BLWers swear by, it is great and has all the info you need.

Freya has been waking during the night for 6 weeks now, I just feed her more milk. Starting solids generally does not help babies to sleep through anyway.

Babies have to be developmentally ready to start weaning - sitting unaided, grabbing things and putting them in their mouths etc.

I have just started Freya off playing with food, but not everyday. She really loves doing it but I don't want her to start eating properly just yet.

That book is brill though, also if you google it there is alot of good info. :D

Yup I echo what Kirsten has said. Babies are ready at around 6 months...Ruby is actually still totally satisfied on milk at almost 26 weeks so I'm certainly not rushing her to eat solids, which makes BLW ideal because she won't eat much for a while.
Loads of people mistake 3 / 4 month growth spurts and night waking for their LO being ready to wean.
You don't have to give baby rice ever btw...

I most certainly shall not be giving rice, purely because I don't see the point. I don't eat it?! Freya will be eating what I am eating, which is what makes it so easy, you don't need to stress over mealtimes, just give them bits of yours and that's it. :D

I most certainly shall not be giving rice, purely because I don't see the point. I don't eat it?! Freya will be eating what I am eating, which is what makes it so easy, you don't need to stress over mealtimes, just give them bits of yours and that's it. :D

Yeah, I agree with what she said :lol:

lol jolly good...i find mushed up rice a pretty gross thought...whats with that eh? i wouldn't wanna eat it!

from looking round the weaning section it seems as tho a lot of mums r told by HV (along with various 'older' relatives) to wean during this growth spurt...that seems a shame and is exactly the reason i avoid my HV! :p

Good attitude Purple Socks. Do your own research!

Actually my HV had never heard of BLW and I had to explain it to her!

I am going to my HV today to get Freya weighed, I have never even mentioned weaning to her as I haven't been for a few months. Not really looking forward to it as I don't really like her anyway. Will see what she has to say about BLW!

I gave Freya some porridge this morning, lol, it never says in the book how messy mummy gets!!!

She didn't eat any, which I expected anyway, but the mess was HORRENDOUS!! Not only on her and the table, it was all over the floor, the bookcase behind her (!!), the cat who happened to walk past at the wrong moment and me. And it was so bad to clean! It sort of separated into a million sticky pieces and went all skanky. And she threw the bowl on the floor and broke it :dohh:.

Lol I have a pic, I will put it up later!

Claire, how was Ruby with the porridge? You said she ate some?! Freya just gags everytime something goes into her mouth and spits it out! Doesn't matter right now as I know she will pick it up in a few weeks, just amazed that anyone manages to actually eat that porridge!

I handed her the spoon and she licked / sucked it off...yes it is very messy! The bumbo tray was encrusted with the stuff, porridge is a nightmare to wash off dishes anyway :)

My HV seemed ok with the idea of BLW but was rather concerned about how I was going to get her to eat red meat...then kept suggesting that I mushed things up, I obv didn't explain myself properly!

but this morning she ate a lot of semolina with stewed prunes in.

no nappy problems there then:haha:

She hadn't been for a poo for 7 days (and before that it had been 8 days and she only went because I gave her a supository) let's just say the prunes did their job!!

Ewwww, I wanna go back to breast milk poo, I am NOT a fan of this thicker poo. Plus, is it normal to have so many bits of food in? Does it mean it's not digested?

So, turns out it's true baby's really do know when they're not having the same as you... tried to fob Sofia off with a baby Zwieback earlier (think this is called French toast in UK) and she was not impressed as I was eating malt loaf, so I gave her some and she loved it! I know they're not meant to have raisens but think it's a bit different. Anyway, looked like a slug by the time she'd finished sucking on it.

She also had a slice of pumpkin at lunch, I left the skin on to make it easier to hold, she approved.

Kirsten Sofia doesn't seem keen on porridge yet either. She had some this morning as I was having it, it had banana in and some went in but she wasn't going mad for it like the semolina yesterday. Yes, it is messy, my Dad was quite shocked! I put hers in a small tuberware box and blutacked it to the table, she's very good at getting the spoon to her mouth but obviously doesn't quite make it all the time and so I had to clean her nose out afterwards.

(left the flash on for the pumpkin shot so not so great)

Attachments

• IMG_2488.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 11
:thumbup:glad the prunes worked a treat!! Sofia looks like she is enjoying that pumpkin!!

Hubby and i are having a take out later so we sat Ern in his high chair while the older kids had their tea-they had pizza and garlic bread, so i gave Ern some toast, he had one slice with dairylea on and one slice with vegemite! He couldnt suck the vegemite of fast enough he loved it:thumbup: hubby isnt impressed tho as he HATES vege/marmite!:haha:

my blw weaning book from amazon arrived today only paid £6.80 with free p&p so was quite pleased! Making very interesting reading :)

Hmm, I was wondering what to put on toast, wasn't sure if vegemite was too salty? I love it! Just worried that otherwise she's having too much sweet stuff. Was planning on putting mashed banana on toast but so far she doesn't like banana.

Anyone got ideas what to take for a packed lunch? Ok, I know she's not going to eat much but still want to include her :)

i went for vegemite rather than marmite as it isnt quite as salty i dont think! And he only had a smearing anyway!!

I ended up doing marmite on toast, also because I don't want her to always have something sweet. I didn't put much on and it went down well. Figured it would be ok because I saw it in a baby weaning book :shrug:

As for the porridge, Aisling loves it! I load the spoon for her and she tends to jab herself in the forehead first and then drag it down her face until it ends up in her mouth! :lol: Her's isn't too runny though so it sticks to the spoon and I tend to keep my hand near the spoon so I can catch it before it goes on the floor. That way it's usually just her face that gets caked :D

all this talk of porridge has got me fancying it now!!Lol

Lol, I just gave her a bowl full of porridge and the spoon and left her to it! She really seems to enjoy just squishing stuff in her fists, we had lunch at Ikea today and I got her a salad bowl, there was A LOT of squished up salad on the floor, I felt quite bad for the cleaning lady who came round, although she did say Freya was a clever little boy :grr:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->