BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

suze, how much is she losing? I only ask because Aisling was hardly gaining and lost one week from 3 months old. I ended up weaning onto purees at 5 months 1 week after advice from the GP but this was after weeks / months of talking things over with the HV. She still didn't gain anything out of the ordinary for the first 3 weeks of weaning so I'm not convinced it made a difference. She didn't cut back on her milk either. I ended up drinking aloe vera which resulted in a 7oz weight gain in 2 weeks after her only gaining 5oz in the previous 9 weeks! I think it may have had an effect on my milk or something. Then in the last 3 weeks she's gained 21 oz. Having said all that, she's just as happy and healthy now gaining the extra weight as she was when she wasn't gaining, the slow gain was bothering me, not her :D

I suppose in my long winded way I'm saying as long as she's still happy and healthy, having the usual wet and dirty nappies etc, then don't wean early unless you want to. BLW certainly wouldn't help with weight gain as they don't eat to start off with anyway.

:hugs:

So proud of Aisling today! We were at FIL's house at her lunchtime so I'd brought a banana. FIL's gf can't understand why we're doing BLW, all her babies were puree fed and they're fine etc etc. Aisling wasn't interested in the banana at first, she's been off solids and milk today for some reason so she immediately said we should mush it up and spoon feed it for her, it wasn't fair for her to go hungry because she wasn't able to eat it whole etc etc. A few minutes later, Aisling decided she was hungry and ate the entire thing without it even being cut into finger food sized bits! :D That kept her quiet! :lol:

Yay go Aisling! Bet that showed her! I can't wait for the day Freya does that infront of some of my family :D

:( Freya just got fruity stuff in her eye! I mashed up a load of raspberries and stuff and put it in with some yoghurt and she was dipping rice cakes in it and it went right in her eye. It's all red now and she's not impressed.

What do people do when eating out? We had lunch in Sainsburys today and Freya just had bits of salad and a chip :blush: but a lot of it went on the floor, infact I don't think any went in her mouth. We spent most of the time we were there picking stuff up so it didn't get trodden on and making it look like this was meant to happen! :lol: We had three tables of people watching us, it was so offputting! This is the third time this has happened now, I'm sure it will be great when she actually starts eating, bit embarrassing at the moment though!

What do you all do?

I cheat a little bit if we're out and help her sometimes. Like with the banana, we held it for her and she gnawed her way through it :lol: I get worried about the mess if we're not at home.

i went out to eat today and just made sure id cut some fruit up and put it in a pot. dex is obsessed with a smoothie that i drink so i poured a tiny bit onto one of the spoons and he happily licked it for ages, I did that three times.

he threw every bit of fruit on the floor but I don't care about him making a mess.

I'm not bothered about the mess so much, but when we were in Ikea Freya chucked a bit of cucumber on the floor and a woman trod on it and slipped, she nearly ended up on her bum! Was funny afterwards but at the time I was scared I was going to get a whack!

suze, how much is she losing?

I suppose in my long winded way I'm saying as long as she's still happy and healthy, having the usual wet and dirty nappies etc, then don't wean early unless you want to. BLW certainly wouldn't help with weight gain as they don't eat to start off with anyway.

:hugs:

To be honest she only lost ONE ounce and if I'd not gone the week before this weeks weigh-in would have translated as 6oz ON, as she'd gained 7oz the week before!
Yes she is happy and healthy and has plenty of wet/dirty nappies so although I'm going to get her weighed each week just to monitor I'm stuffing cotton wool in my ears and going to go "la la la la" at the HV's and their weaning/baby rice rubbish!!!

hey girls, dex has gastric flu, poop. Although he is pretty much his usual self but last night was quite scary when he was vomiting. Gonna leave BLW again today except for right now he is eating rice cakes. :)

:hugs: Really hope he's feeling better soon, poor mite :(

Get well soon Dex! :hugs:

On a positive note, Violet is definately eating/swallowing now :happydance:
I've been keeping an eye on the "waste" once shes finished, and it's slowly getting less and less.

She had a bit of bacon, lettuce, bagette and breadstick for lunch today.. Hardly anything left! I'm so proud of her :cloud9:

Get well soon Dex, so sorry he's poorly :(
Ruby has pasted herself in hoummous this afternoon, spat bits of rice cakes at me, and ate (I think!) a few bits of falafel!
Violet sounds like she's picking it up so quickly, well done her (and you!)

aww i hope Dex is feeling better soon :hugs:

way to go Ruby!!:thumbup:

we had a roast today and ern had a piece of pork,couple of carrots,couple of potatoes , parsnips and yorkshire pudding. He gummed the pork a bit,liked the potato and threw them over the side:haha: hd a go at the carrot and that suffered the same fate as the spud...but he loved the parsnip-he ended up having 4 pieces and by the time he had finished with it if there was enough left to make up 1 piece would stretch it!! he absolutley devoured it!!:happydance:

Aw get well soon Dex! Everyone sounds like they're doing great! We had homemade pasties today for lunch so Freya had some of the filling - loads of veggie bits. And a rice cake. And some toast for breakfast. Think she is def swallowing little bits now! She still gags a fair bit when she gets large pieces in there, but not as much. :D

Hello all!:flower:
Not sure if I'm following BLW - I just feed Dylan the best way I can.
He eats more or less all his food himself - I spoon feed very rarely and if I do it's a yoghurt or shepherd's pie or something similar. I'm encouraging him to spoon feed himself now which is fun!
He usually has what we have for his main meal, and for dinner its usually whatever I have or a sandwich with fruit and other bits and pieces.
Now what I want to know is, is this all BLW is all about? People are usually shocked when I say he feeds himself, it would be nice to tell them there is actually a name and a reason for it, other than he enjoys himself and it's easier than fussing with making him eat off a spoon. Is there more to it than this? It seems very simple.
Sorry for the hijack if it's not guys x

Hey all we have started BLW with Izzy, she snatched a marmite sandwich from DH 3 weeks ago and it has gone from there, I was gobsmacked and managed to get a piccy

Attachments

• marmite.JPG
    marmite.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 13
With regards to the swallowing but no bits in the nappy conversation:-

I have noticed that Freya is definietly swallowing, but she will only swallow stuff if it is really squished, or runny anyway or the juice of something. Like she will suck for ages on things, melon, potato, toast, any veg, any fruit. She swallows the juice which comes off it but if a bit breaks off in her mouth she goes mad to spit it out! Loves yoghurt though, scoffs it down. So her poos stink, loads of swallowing, no bits yet!

So, when your babies were doing this, how long 'til they started to swallow lumps?

She has a cold so we had toast, ready brek and snot for breakfast today :sick:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"