BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Ruby is mostly like freya, sucks the juice off stuff like melon, and swallows mushy stuff, but spits lumps out. so i'm interested to know this too!

It was about a couple of weeks between Violet going mad sucking on things (I mean really mad lol) to actually "chewing" (that's what it looks like!)..

At first I think she just accidentally swallowed lumps as she'd gag quite a bit first but then the food would be gone, she wouldn't spit anything out. I think she must have realised that it's ok to swallow lol and now she "eats", she doesn't suck on most things, it's weird to try and explain.

She will still spit lumps out and she still gags now and then but it's a different kind of "eating" she does now - she purposely get lumps off and it's more chewing and chomping then just randomly sucking..

But to answer your question, it wasn't very long at all - I thought it would be a lot longer tbh. But she loves meal times, she gets so excited when she sees her highchair. She also has lunch and dinner and a snack if I have one in between (used to do a snack about 4ish quite often when we first started) so she got lots of practice.

I also bit the bullet and gave her "small" food (was sooo worried about doing this) which seems to have helped. She's learnt that she can't treat all food the same and she knows if she gags that she needs to handle that food differently. I was sticking to big bits of food that she couldn't really get bits off but once she had food she could get bits off, I started noticing less waste.

Sorry that's so long :blush:

With regards to the swallowing but no bits in the nappy conversation:-

I have noticed that Freya is definietly swallowing, but she will only swallow stuff if it is really squished, or runny anyway or the juice of something. Like she will suck for ages on things, melon, potato, toast, any veg, any fruit. She swallows the juice which comes off it but if a bit breaks off in her mouth she goes mad to spit it out! Loves yoghurt though, scoffs it down. So her poos stink, loads of swallowing, no bits yet!

So, when your babies were doing this, how long 'til they started to swallow lumps?

She has a cold so we had toast, ready brek and snot for breakfast today :sick:

I would say it has been the last 3 weeks that Olivia has been deliberately swallowing lumps rather than mush, she is also now taking deliberate bites and 'ripping' food with her gums rather than sucking the food to death lol.

She is eating more but she is also really distracted during a meal now and it can be hard to get her to focus on the food. I know you cant rush these things but it seems to go 1 step forward then 2 steps back.

Freya also gets distracted very easily. Faille, what 'small food' did you give her? :)

Rice, grapes cut in half, pasta, small bits of chicken, cereals, noodles, pre-cut lettuce, grated carrots, pre-sliced cabbage, chopped up banana and pear, things like that.

Before I was sticking to huge slices of things like banana, apple, cucumber etc - things at least 2inches long and big enough to get her fist round.

Olivia was so funny at tea time yesterday! I wish I'd got a video for you girls to watch because it was so hilarious. We have been sitting her in her highchair with a spoon while we eat because we don't intend to wean her until shes a few weeks older, but yesterday she was a bit fidgity so i took her out and sat her on my knee while I finished mine.

I tried to keep her away from my plate, but she grabbed one of my sweet potato wedges and took it straight to her mouth! OH made me take it off her so I did but then once I had finished, there were a few peas and sweetcorn left on my plate. She had been staring at me eating them, so I sat her a bit closer and she got both her hands on my plate and was properly banging them dowm so she squished the peas and swetcorn and giggling away to herself and looking at rick and smiling across the table!!

Anyway, on a serious note, should I stop putting her near to the food for a few weeks, or just let her do what she wants? Were we right to take the wedge off her? :shrug:

Personally I'd have left the wedge with her, she won't swallow anything until she's ready anyway, she'd probably just play with it :thumbup:

Faille, I haven't tried any food that small, I'll have to give it a go. Does she not pick up a fistful and then have difficulty getting it out? That's why I haven't given small stuff yet.

Babyshambelle, personally I'd just let her play with it.. As Lu28 said, nothing will be swallowed yet anyway. I'd just make sure she's sitting up if she does bring food close to her mouth in case she swallows accidentally. If she's upright then there's less risk of her choking.

Lu28, she's quite funny with food that small.. She kinda has a pincer grip but not quite - instead of using just the index finger and thumb, she uses all fingers and thumb but in the pincer grip way iygwim? Other times she will just grab a handful and then use both hands to put it in her mouth and keep it in lol (this is with things like rice but the rice usually has some kind of sauce (like curry) to help it stick together)

Cereal is given with yogurt on a spoon - I load the spoon but then she puts it in her mouth. She's great doing it like that.

Grapes she'll just grab and put in her mouth.

I think it's the way she picks things up - she doesn't have a great big fistfull, there's always a little bit of it sticking out no matter how small the food is. I think she's learned that she has to pick it up at one end and not in the middle. But she still picks things up at the wrong end, especially bananas - she tries eating the skin not the actual banana :lol:

And when she has toast, she'll try eating the bit she's holding, not the bit that's sticking out under her hand :lol:

It takes a while but she gets there :dohh:

Dylan has started to shovel small things into his mouth now, rather than holding onto something and biting bits off. He picks it up and shoves it in his mouth. Sometimes he puts too much in and has to spit some out, but if it's banana he tends to put his hand to his mouth so he doesn't lose even a tiny bit! I've started to give him his meat in bitesized pieces rather than holdable chunks, in hopes that he will actually manage to swallow some. Although he has loads of teeth, he can't quite bite things off yet. He's fine with mince based food, or stewed beef thats really soft though.
Do you ever get comments from people about how you feed your LO's? I always feel like people are looking down at me for letting him feed himself. Especially from older people, I've had quite a few glares and funny looks.

I've just had loads of comments from the grandparent generation who think I'm being mean for making her feed herself :haha: She enjoys it so I don't care!

I tried meatballs with bolognaise sauce and pasta quills today. She loved the taste of it but had a really really hard time actually getting anything into her mouth. She couldn't pick up the smaller stuff, squashed the meatballs into tiny bits so there was nothing to get in her mouth and couldn't suck the pasta in because of the hole in the middle so ended up whistling with it! I gave her a hand in the end by holding it for her and letting her take it off my hand because she obviously liked it and was hungry but physically couldn't get it in her mouth. If I didn't give her a hand, it almost seemed like I was punishing her by not letting her eat just because she doesn't have all the skills yet. I know it's technically breaking the BLW rules :blush: I did leave her to her own devizes while I was eating and gave her a hand when I was finished.

Lasagne tomorrow, hopefully that'll be easier for her.

Aw, I don't think it matters to break the 'rules' every so often. I would do the same :hugs:

Freya has started to do this thing today, I have been either passing her stuff or handing it to her, when I hand it to her she has been putting her arms behind her back and opening her mouth! Considering she won't be spoon fed I find it very odd! And the other day there was something on the table infront of her, she just put her face down there and licked it on the table! :dohh: Lazy baby?!! :rofl:

Freya has started to do this thing today, I have been either passing her stuff or handing it to her, when I hand it to her she has been putting her arms behind her back and opening her mouth! Considering she won't be spoon fed I find it very odd! And the other day there was something on the table infront of her, she just put her face down there and licked it on the table! :dohh: Lazy baby?!! :rofl:

That made me chuckle, Olivia tends to do that when she cant get a good grip of the food x

Aw, I don't think it matters to break the 'rules' every so often. I would do the same :hugs:

Lol!
Have you got any pets she's copying haha

I've just had loads of comments from the grandparent generation who think I'm being mean for making her feed herself :haha: She enjoys it so I don't care!

I tried meatballs with bolognaise sauce and pasta quills today. She loved the taste of it but had a really really hard time actually getting anything into her mouth. She couldn't pick up the smaller stuff, squashed the meatballs into tiny bits so there was nothing to get in her mouth and couldn't suck the pasta in because of the hole in the middle so ended up whistling with it! I gave her a hand in the end by holding it for her and letting her take it off my hand because she obviously liked it and was hungry but physically couldn't get it in her mouth. If I didn't give her a hand, it almost seemed like I was punishing her by not letting her eat just because she doesn't have all the skills yet. I know it's technically breaking the BLW rules :blush: I did leave her to her own devizes while I was eating and gave her a hand when I was finished.

Lasagne tomorrow, hopefully that'll be easier for her.

I haven't tried pasta quills but the twisty pasta is quite good. What I find easiest is to kinda brush off the excess sauce so the pasta still has the taste but isn't completely coated in sauce so it's not too slippery (and also wait until it's cold so it becomes sticky).. Then put the mince in a seperate pile and let her get handfulls of that seperately.

We've done lasagne too and that works well because the cheese holds it together lol.. She just sucked the sauce and mince off the pasta sheet and left that but scoffed the topping down lol

I don't think you broke the rules :winkwink:
She still put it in her mouth, you were just acting as the plate!

:haha: Aisling does something similar, she'll put both arms up like she's being held up by a gun and open her mouth!! Usually after she's been going at it for a while and can't be bothered anymore :blush:

Faille, I hadn't thought of myself acting as the plate but you're right. I really am her minion now - change my nappy, carry me around, be my plate! :lol:

we had spag bol tonight but i didnt feel ready to let ern go at it with his hands just yet:wacko: so i put his sauce in one bowl and his pasta in another and put a few bits of pasta and some grated cheese on his tray and put a bit of sauce on his spoon and he was grabbing it and putting it in his mouth........still made a mess but not quite as bad as if hed had a bowl full of it!!

and he had lots of bits of onion and tomato in his nappy tonight so he has been swallowing :thumbup:

https://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o132/daftpics/ernie012-3.jpg

Ern may be the most adorable baby I have ever seen. I am a sucker for redheads. My OH's hair was that red when he was little and people where forever touching it and saying he should be on tv. Do people do that to Ern. I am very sad that Dex didn't get the red hair although it defo has a red twinge in the sunlight. I was hoping his hair would be like this.

https://www.football-pictures.net/data/media/353/Brown_face.jpg

I really am her minion now - change my nappy, carry me around, be my plate! :lol:

Lmao! :rofl:

Got Violet weighed today, she's 19lbs something now (so heavy because she's so damn long!!).. 4oz's a week she's putting on apparently.:thumbup:

I asked about whether she's having too much milk (re the thread I made the other day) and HV said no, she's doing great and not putting on too much weight.. I was worried I'm overfeeding her but HV is very happy with her weight so I'll stop worrying lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->