BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Aww shame he hated them ...but try them again in a week or so and he might change his mind. Brocoli is Joshua's fave!

We had roasted sweet potato tonight and he mushed it up between his fingers, then threw the rest on the floor to the dog! Whoops! So that wasn't a success either ... think he was a bit tired. I gave him some pudding though (a puree jar) loaded the spoon and he couldn't get enough and he hardly got it around his face! He must have loved it lol

I think Halen was a bit tired as well tbh, will try again soon. The cats sit underneath his high chair just waiting for food...but they don't realise it's mostly veg lol
We had beef casserole last night and he loved it, kept sucking the beef and had this whole dumpling in his hand sucking and chomping away he looked so cute!!

Yay Ruby!!! It's difficult when they're tired, I think Aisling was a bit tired tonight so didn't eat too much. I bought some of those peach pieces in juice which are great, they stay fresh for a week in the fridge and she's loving them :thumbup:

I find lunch time most successful, tea time we have at 4:30 - 5 and he's generally tired so doesn't go well!

Mm I love peach ...I think I have a tin in my cupbard

I don't really eat lunch, bad I know but I'm on the go so often I forget it. I need to make sure that I do so I can eat it with Halen. We have our dinner about 5.30pm and then he has booby, bath, booby, story, bed. But he had been up since about 3.50pm so he was defiantly ready for bed.

What do you give your LO's for breakfast? I've been giving him toast/bread fingers but don't want to give him too much bread and would like some variety

Yeah, my dog has decided that BLW is the best thing ever! :rofl:

J, good for you for not making him eat! :thumbup: It sounds like he is already going to be a "meat and potato" kind of guy! :haha: My DH would totally love that in his LO as that is all he will eat. :dohh:

We don't do breakfast yet, but I suspect when we start I will do mostly fruit, some yogurt, maybe some oatmeal (porridge over there) made up with EBM.

Well done for taking a back seat JayleighAnn! It can be so tempting to try and encourage them to eat a little more but it's really for the best to just let them get on with it.

We had lasagne and salad for dinner tonight and it went down a treat. Violet had the salad first as the lasagne was taking forever to cool down and she demolished the lettuce. She had a big leaf of it and loved it (before, she's only had shredded lettuce). She also picked up the grated carrot really well although I don't think she actually managed to eat any of that!
As soon as I picked her bowl up and started putting the lasagne on her tray, she dropped everything instantly and went straight for the pasta sheet :rofl: She definately knows her lasagne!

**nervously tip toes in****

hi everyone! im a newbie BLW-er hehe

im a bit early... ruby is 23 weeks.. but HUNGRYYYYYY and so eager to feed herself!

i kind of started last week. she had steamed carrot twice, and on sunday morning she sooked the life out of some gluten free toast fingers with apricot puree on..she knew what to do for sure, and i saw i difference in some nappies... so im pretty sure she got something from it...

the thing is... i think im scared .. she did so well the first few attempts but now ive not done anything since then and shes getting all frustrated again... she was really bad tonight when we were eating and i knew she just wanted to eat.. i couldnt share as it was takeaway... so i gave her puree.... i dont know why, but i did. she wolfed it down tho, and was instantly happier..
should i really just throw myself into it for real? is she really not too young still?
ive read GR and when im reading im thinking 'yeah this is defo the way for us...' and feeling confident, but when it comes to it i chicken out..... i think im afraid of her choking, even tho i know its very unlikely...
is it normal to feel like this at the start?? lol
i think im in denial that my wee baby is really at this stage!!!

Otter is even younger than your LO! I have started cooking dinners everynight with a side that he can share. Still simple stuff. I am going to hold him off on super complex stuff for a bit longer.

I read GR, too, and just kept thinking that the point was letting baby lead. My baby has led me to the fact that he is ready early. No way around that. I tried for weeks to put him off every way I can think of.

Most moms on here do regular dinners, pasta, breads, etc. I'm not doing those yet. Just fruits and veg mostly. I MIGHT consider a bit of easy meat soon, but haven't decided yet. Otter is doing ace! Hardly ever gags, tucks right in, and it comes out in his dipes, so I know some is getting down him. Not to mention how happy he is now that his food envy issues have been solved.

We also only do once per day instead of all 3 meals. He's happy with that for now, I am good with waiting to add other meals for a while. :thumbup:

aw well done Jayleigh :) i'm sure he will love them soon:)

welcome NI i'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you and i totally felt/feel the same at the moment, but it is getting easier......:hugs:

well today has been interesting....lol

Daddy did brekkie again and apparently she did ok ......:shrug:

Lunch we were out and i hadnt got a clue where to go or what to get so me and daddy had a pepperoni and Mozzarela Panini with side salad and chips....she had a little go at the Panini(i took the Pepperoni out incase it was too salty and it was quiute hot) seemed to like that and totally swiped the salad off my plate and had a try but couldnt quite manage it bless her!LOL

and Dinner she had melon and Yoghurt - OMG that was so so so funny - i helped her a little and she was picking up the melon slices but i think they were a little under ripe and was only getting chunks but the yoghurt went everywhere and she loved it!!! obv i had to load the spoon for her and i handed it to her but i tried putting it back in her bowl and she tried to pick it up but it was the wrong way :dohh: poor thing!LOL

i got her full fat yoghurt with live pre/pro (i cant remember which) biotics - is this ok??

sara

xxxxxxx

**nervously tip toes in****

hi everyone! im a newbie BLW-er hehe

im a bit early... ruby is 23 weeks.. but HUNGRYYYYYY and so eager to feed herself!

i kind of started last week. she had steamed carrot twice, and on sunday morning she sooked the life out of some gluten free toast fingers with apricot puree on..she knew what to do for sure, and i saw i difference in some nappies... so im pretty sure she got something from it...

the thing is... i think im scared .. she did so well the first few attempts but now ive not done anything since then and shes getting all frustrated again... she was really bad tonight when we were eating and i knew she just wanted to eat.. i couldnt share as it was takeaway... so i gave her puree.... i dont know why, but i did. she wolfed it down tho, and was instantly happier..
should i really just throw myself into it for real? is she really not too young still?
ive read GR and when im reading im thinking 'yeah this is defo the way for us...' and feeling confident, but when it comes to it i chicken out..... i think im afraid of her choking, even tho i know its very unlikely...
is it normal to feel like this at the start?? lol
i think im in denial that my wee baby is really at this stage!!!

:hi:
We started at 5.5months and I just gave her bits of food at only one meal per day. Started off offering only 3 things max at a time (eg. bit of banana, apple and cucumber - nothing with anything nasty in).

You don't need to worry about choking just yet as it's very unlikely she'll be able to actually get bits of food off, and if she does, her gag reflex will take care of it. Gagging is good and choking is very rare. We've only had one incident where Violet's choked and she managed to clear it herself by time I'd even got her out of the chair. Scary as hell but she wasn't phased at all!

As long as your LO can sit up (whether it's on your lap, highchair, couch whatever) then I'd be tempted to offer very simple food as well. They don't swallow for a while so digesting the food isn't going to be a problem, but they will get nutrients from just sucking so you may want to stick with just fruit and things like cucumber and stay away from things like tomatoes and veg that can cause gas.

The better she can sit up, the less risk of choking and the easier it is for her to clear the food herself.

Hi NI, welcome! :D No reason not to start now, as Faille says, just simple things to start with. Bet you'll be going in no time. It's always easier to feel confident reading the book than in real life but you'll get there :hugs:

I love our LOs forgetting about salad as soon as lasagne and panini are on offer! :lol:

Hi ladies
I've been interested in BLW and after today decided to do it properly.

Matilda is six months on Friday and we're on day six of weaning. For the first few days I gave her purees just to see what she would think of food. She seemed to like the taste but not much went down and she kept trying to grab the spoon which made for a very messy baby. And she got quite angry when I wouldn't give her the spoon.

Today we sat her at the table in her highchair with us and to keep her quiet I gave her a piece of steamed carrot, a piece of peeled cucumber and piece of steamed apple. She loved it! I put them on the tray and left her to it. At one point she had a big piece of carrot hanging out of her mouth while trying to shove cucumber in. And she had endless fun chasing slippery bits around the tray.

Tomorrow I'm off for a Christmas lunch with other mummy friends and I'm looking forward to asking for a highchair for the first time and keeping her occupied with a few steamed vegetables.

All I need now is a mat to stop soggy veg going down between the floorboards!!

:yipee: for Matilda having so much fun!

You can get a cheapie table cloth (vinyl to wipe clean, cloth to wash) rather than a splash mat. That should save your floorboards! :mrgreen:

Asda do really cheap splash mats two for £2, mothercare want £10 for one!

ripping a bit of melon off (dipped in yog)

DSC01684.jpg

and - how dare you take a pic of me looking like this dad!

DSC01689.jpg

:cloud9::happydance::cloud9::happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"