BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Love the photos! :thumbup:

haha! It is funny now we learn! I had to trash a shirt that was dark blue as it had banana stains EVERYwhere that I couldn't get out! Never would have thought banana would stain so badly! :dohh:

Brilliant photos!!

I was surprised about how banana stains too, turns things black! :shock:

I only got the expensive bib so that she could use it every day for the forseeable future! :lol: She doesn't mind normal bibs although when she's bored she'll pull at the back of them :shrug:

hehe, dex plays peekaboo with the muslins that we use as bibs. you can tell when he is bored of eating when he starts doing that.

Aww loving the photo's :cloud9:

Glad to hear that things are going well for so many :thumbup:

had a nightmare day!!! poridge this mornin just didnt happen as she was so so tired (daddy looked after her while i had a lie in! and her morning was a bit messed up bless him!
we had to skip lunch as we were driving and didnt get in intime and didnt wanna push it !
and dinner was an absolute nightmare - she is starting to refuse to pick stuff up now, will only take things that she is handed, she screams till i hand her something then she is sweetness and light:shrug: do i ignore her or give in and keep it happy ???

oh and i totally agree about the hidden devil that is Banana! totally uined a t shirt:hissy:

sara

xxxxxx

had a nightmare day!!! poridge this mornin just didnt happen as she was so so tired (daddy looked after her while i had a lie in! and her morning was a bit messed up bless him!
we had to skip lunch as we were driving and didnt get in intime and didnt wanna push it !
and dinner was an absolute nightmare - she is starting to refuse to pick stuff up now, will only take things that she is handed, she screams till i hand her something then she is sweetness and light:shrug: do i ignore her or give in and keep it happy ???

oh and i totally agree about the hidden devil that is Banana! totally uined a t shirt:hissy:

sara

xxxxxx

Arg -- that sounds awful. Does she even refuse to pick up her favorites? Or just new things?

everything full stop at the moment !! just screams blue murder till we hand her something, then she digs in and loves it :shrug: :cry:

Wow, that is odd. Obviously, I am too early on starting this to have much experience with troubleshooting... but I would think... Maybe hand her something to start with, before she starts screaming. Then see if she will pick up her next piece on her own. Basically, try to wean her off needing to be handed things. I would think if she is throwing that big of a fit, trying to wait her out would be nigh impossible and hard on your ears!

Oh, and based on this current behavior, I would say she currently deserves the "naughty" tag from your siggie! :haha:

;)

she definately does need the naughty tag....maybe if i explain about santa and the naughty or nice list she might be a good little lady !!!!

yeah i think im just gonna have to try giving her some and trying to wean her off being given food.....i thibnk its my fault in the end any hoo - she has had porridge for brekkie alot recently (she loves it!) and i load the spoon then give it to her to munch i think she has just grown to expect me to hand it to her......couldn't just let her scream it out....i tried lettin her have a cry for a little bit today but she just got so so upset about it all and tired herself out.............i cant bear to hear that little pitiful cry :cry:

I think it might just be a phase hon, I've had this with Aisling too. Now if she looks like she's having trouble, I pick it up to hand it to her. She gives me a dirty look, knocks it out of my hand and tries to pick it up herself again! :lol: Hopefully it'll pass in a few days :hugs:

Maybe switch to fruit or something for breakfast and avoid anything that needs spoon loading until you get her weaned off being handed stuff. :thumbup:

yeah i'm banning porridge for a few days :blush: i really hope it ill pass - i am trying so so hard to be upbeat and relaxed about things and i think its making me more stressed :dohh: i will NOT fail my baby with this one, i have messed up so many things i will get this right :D

:hugs::hugs: Aww hon, you're not failing her at all and I don't believe for a second that you've failed her in any other way, you're a great mum :hugs::hugs:

I wouldn't worry about handing her stuff actually. It's only in the last 2 weeks or so since we had the new high chair that Ruby has even been able to pick stuff up. Now I still sometimes hand her stuff, but there has to be stuff on the table for her to try to pick up or she'll throw a fit!

I wouldn't worry too much about handing her stuff Sara, we've all done it when we see LO struggling to pick things up.

Is she going through a growth spurt or anything at the moment that would make her a bit more cranky? Is she usually good at picking things up? If she struggles to pick a lot of things up I could understand why she'd want you handing her things but if she's usually good at it then it does seem strange.

I had a similar problem with Violet the other week, she used to take the spoon off me but she started wanting me to do it for her (I don't even know where she got that from as i've never spoon fed her!). Turns out that it was way too soon after her milk so she wasn't interested. Timed it better and she was back to grabbing the spoon and shoving it in her mouth herself lol.

So after all that rambling, what I'm trying to say is there might be an underlying reason why she's suddenly started doing this. Has anything changed recently...? Nap times / feed times etc?

thanks girls, think things are just getting to me at the moment! :hugs: i was thinking if there was something underlying Faille and i really cant think of anything, apparently they get cranky etc when they reach milestones and she is sitting up unaided now so maybe this could be something to do with it?:shrug: she is very capable of picking things up and does every day but i do think we hand her things quite often - toys etc etc so thats probably not helping things.......Daddy gave her brekkie thismornin while i slept :cloud9::sleep: and apparently she was ok and picked up a few slices of toast :shrug: i just gotta keep telling myself that we have only been soing this for 2 weeks and we are both still learning skills !

thanks for all the lovely replies ladies.. :hugs:

Sara, Freya is the same, last night was the first night it really happened, we were having dinner, she had roast squash, roast potato (her fav) and roast carrot. We had eaten all of ours and she hadn't even picked any up, just mushed it into the table, swept it onto the floor etc. So I decided she wasn't bothered and was about to go bath her, when I picked up a bit and gave it to her and she started eating it :dohh: So then she ate loads and we were sat there over an hour.

I think I am going to have to do as Lu says, I will pass her bits and bobs and hope it is a phase, I would rather she practised her chewing and swallowing (which have got very good recently I think!!) than just sat there and didn't eat. Technically she is still feeding herself, and it is our food, she just isn't picking it up. So that's fine with me. Hopefully it won't last long!

We also banned porridge about a week ago, we now do rice cakes and fruit for brekkie, although when she is 8 months I think we'll do the odd bit of toast too.

It still takes a lot for Freya to take the spoon off me and put it in her mouth herself, she tends to whine a lot before she does it, I resorted to spooning a bit in yesterday as her poo was mega hard and making her bleed. So I stewed some plums and got loads of fruit in her.

I have another problem though, I don't think Freya has ever actually finished eating by the time we leave the table, she never shows finished signs, we sit there for ages and ages, her food gets all cold and manky, I seriously think she would keep going forever (this is just at dinner by the way, she shows she is done at other meals). When we went to the chinese buffet the other day she was eating for over 2 hours, but there is no way I could sit at the table at home that long?! Does anyone else have this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->