BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

That's a tricky one cos we don't know if they associate food with filling them up yet? If they knew that food filled them, we could stop offering milk feeds as often...

I've another question. How do you offer meat and/or fish to your LO? OH and I feel a bit apprehensive about offering meat because we worry about it being hard to digest, and being too hard for her to chew. Fish just seems to fall apart and not make a very good finger food, apart from fish fingers anyway.

I've just remember that I have a question..

Are there any stock cubes which are baby-friendly? All the ones I've seen when shopping have such a high level of salt that I've just completely avoided them all together, but I'd like to know if any of you have found some suitable ones.

TIA :flower:

Found some baby organic ones in boots. They're ok actually, I put some in soup the other day and I found it fine for my taste, and I tend to add salt to my food....

That's a tricky one cos we don't know if they associate food with filling them up yet? If they knew that food filled them, we could stop offering milk feeds as often...

I've another question. How do you offer meat and/or fish to your LO? OH and I feel a bit apprehensive about offering meat because we worry about it being hard to digest, and being too hard for her to chew. Fish just seems to fall apart and not make a very good finger food, apart from fish fingers anyway.

We've only given V chicken and beef mince, but only small amounts of both.

Chicken is always diced or sliced into very small biteable chunks and the mince she still can't pick up yet lol, but when given on a spoon she does ok with it.

As you know, she definately hasn't had any problems with digesting food... :sick:

Oh, and I always fry my chicken over a very low heat so I know it's cooked thoroughly.

Ok, so we had dinner tonight and Violet actually ate quite a bit.... So this whole eating thing is completely random.

She had a naughty dinner tonight but :shhh:

She had..
Almost half of a tomato (only a little bit of skin left)
Almost a quarter of an apple (only like a bite left)
A few chunks out of two thick slices of cucumber
A handful of lettuce leafs
An oven chip
A thin strip of beef burger (which she loved! Defs takes after daddy lol)

Doesn't sound a lot writing it down but comparing what was on her tray to start with to what was left, she done really well. Guess she had plenty of room after hardly eating at breakie or lunch!

She did still want her milk after though.

And re the age when they start associating food with hunger.. I don't have my bible to hand as MIL has got it, but for some reason I've got 8-9 months in my head for that stage? Can't check though so I'm really not sure if our LOs are close to getting there or not....

sorry i'm being lazy again and pasting from my journal again! seems silly to retype it when i wanna say the exact same thing in both places tho:

i was really shocked at Kian today...i gave him a little slice of apple (i'm going 4 offering him one thing each day since its still early...like i said b4 we'll progress to proper meals and offering things more often at 6 months.) and he actually ate some! well i'm assuming he did coz i saw it go in and it never came back out!! He started off sucking the thing then after a little while he was scraping the bit of apple across his top gum and little mushy bits (which were pre-sogged from the sucking!) were coming off! i was watching him like a hawk so iknow he didn't spit anything out! there was a fair bit of this apple chunk missing by the time he'd finished! i was surprised that he was able to do anything other than suck and squash food with his fist! this has now made me slightly worried abt him being younger than 6 months...i had previously not been too worried because i doubted he would actually eat anything?! not really sure what to think abt the whole thing now!

let him eat it.. that is what I would say. Otter is actually quite good at biting bits off and getting them down. I have found plenty of carrot and brocoli in his dipes! Yesterday he actually appeared to take a bite of a steamed carrot and chew it on purpose! I watched him bite the chunk off and said to him: That is a big bite! Don't choke! And then was :shock: as he preceeded to CHEW it. :shrug: It was the first time I saw him chew food on purpose.

We use the Boots baby stock cubes too, they're fine but obviously don't have as much flavour as normal ones, it's made a difference to some of the soups I make but not much choice!

We've giving Aisling meat and fish from about 7 months and she's got on really well with it. The fish is great because it falls apart and she's been fine with meat, sometimes just sucks it to death and tends to gag a bit on it but it goes down eventually! :lol:

So yesterday I was moaning because V didn't want to eat anything and today she's eaten loads!

Tried breakfast again at the same time as yesterday and the same food was offered.. And she sat there for ages eating it. She still didn't actually eat "much" (but definately more than yesterday) but showed so much interest.

Same at lunch... Offered it before the bottle again and where as yesterday she was non stop whimpering, she actually seemed to really enjoy it today. I think it's because I overdone the pitta bread a bit so it was nice and crunchy and chewy on her gums :lol:

And she only wanted 6oz for her breakfast and was quite happy having 6oz after lunch (milk breakfast at 8am, lunch at 2.30pm, so more than happy to go more than 4hrs without milk.. She only had the lunch one because I thought I'd better offer it to her. I don't know how long she would have gone without it though if I didn't!)

She's really funny with her food... She either shows no interest at all or loads of interest. So when she's showing no interest, it really makes me think I'm doing something wrong :blush: (which I "know" isn't true and we all have our off days but I can't help think it at the time lol).

Yeah Ruby sometimes shows no interest, and sometimes loads. She LOVED weetabix for breakfast this morning! Had half a one with a little milk and yoghurt, she wolfed it down, grabbing the spoon from me and going 'mmmm'. Lol!
She ate most of a slice of cheese on toast again at lunch, and 4 pieces of tinned pear!
For her tea I am doing some pasta with some homemade soup as a sauce. I don't expect her to eat much of it, she doesn't usually, I usually use tea as a time to give her more 'challenging' foods...

Do they manage to grab the tinned fruit okay? I would think it would be slippery and mushy! I can't even grab it well. :haha:

Do they manage to grab the tinned fruit okay? I would think it would be slippery and mushy! I can't even grab it well. :haha:

In a word, no. :haha:

I hand it to Ruby as she can't pick it up, and she has over a period of time, learned not to squeeze it too hard, and it usually makes it to the mouth. I must admit though, that a few times I've just held it out and she has moved her mouth onto it and eaten. :dohh: Depends how much patience she has at the particular time!

She ate pasta bows with butternut squash soup as sauce, she loved it and picked it up well. Not much got eaten I don't think though, the bows just looked like a mouse had been at them lol

:rofl: I can totally see her being impatient and diving at it with her mouth!

We tried tinned peach and he loved it. Had to hand it to him but I was surprise he held on to it!

had a not very successful day today, he ate a tiny bit of rusk which he usually wolfs down. But barely even touched everything else we offered! He's got such red cheeks think his teeth are bothering him and he's been a bit sicky today so I'm just hoping he's not coming down with something!

Claire I did your suggestion today of rolling the tinned fruit in baby rice and it worked brilliantly :thumbup: She wolfed her way through 6 or 7 pieces of a peach and pineapple mixture one and had a great time! :D

Umm these https://www.ulula.co.uk/shop/baby-food-item.php?ProductID=606&CatID=221

I suck at explaining lol

So are they like bits of bread or cracker?

Or cookie? (errm... bisquits to you UK peeps).

:)

Yeah they're a biscuit for babies. Word of warning though, one rusk has the same amount of sugar as a can of coke and can damage babies teeth before they even break through the gum according to the oral health advisor.

I always thought they were some sort of cereal! :haha: Glad I finally asked. :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->