BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Yeah they're a biscuit for babies. Word of warning though, one rusk has the same amount of sugar as a can of coke and can damage babies teeth before they even break through the gum according to the oral health advisor.

I thought that was old style rusks and the ones they sell now have had the sugar removed?

Lol, Violet has got a new talent..

On Sunday, she managed to eat a bit of bacon and leave the fat intact, very neatly.. And tonight, she ate a slice of apple and managed to 'peel' it as only the skin was hanging off half of the slice, again, done very neatly. It looked as though I'd been at it with a peeler!

wow, clever Violet!

Nah rusks are still full of sugar. You can get reduced sugar ones, I still wouldn't give them though, they're not very nutritious.

wow, clever Violet!

Nah rusks are still full of sugar. You can get reduced sugar ones, I still wouldn't give them though, they're not very nutritious.

:rofl:
Ok thanks.. I don't offer them anyway but all my family have told me that they don't have as much sugar anymore. Apparently my dad used to love them but not the ones you get now as they don't have sugar. God knows what he's been eating then :haha:

My MIL gave Aisling one (didn't know how to say no, I'm a total wuss!) and my god the mess! :shock: Even aside from the sugar I can't be dealing with cleaning up after that! :lol:

That was very clever of Violet, well done her! :thumbup:

Clever, V! :mrgreen:

What do you ladies say when ppl "encourage" you to do a MIX of BLW and purees? I just got told off for wishing my LO would sleep through because I am unwilling to give him cereal to fill him up. :( I said I am going to try pure BLW and won't be doing purees and will only start oatmeal (porridge) and the like for brekkie after 6 months. Then I got told off for being unwilling to do BOTH. :dohh:

I didn't know quite what to say to that. :haha: I can't explain properly why I don't want do both. :sigh:

Because BLW is about giving them the same food as you eat... So unless you and the people commenting are willing to eat puree too, then nope.

Because BLW is about giving them the same food as you eat... So unless you and the people commenting are willing to eat puree too, then nope.

:rofl:

Good point! :thumbup:

Of course, then I will just get looks like :huh: as they don't understand why I can't BLW for dinner then stuff him full of rice cereal so he sleeps longer!

I feel bad saying "Because I think that notion is ridiculous! I am not stuffing my child full of rice so I can sleep!" because one of the ladies has an 8 month of that she does "both" with and I don't want to sound like I dissapprove of her giving her LO purees and such. :dohh:

Lol I like how we can spend hours explaining the point of BLW and then people still ask why can't we do puree as well.. It's like, didn't you listen to one word I've said for the last hour??? It must go over some peoples heads.

A lot of people do puree and finger foods but that's not a mix... That's what eventually happens for all babies on puree. Why can't relatives and friends (who may mean well) just accept that BLW isn't just about the texture of food they eat, it's a lot more than that :dohh:

Just say to your friend that purees aren't for you and your LO. Not every weaning style works for everyone and BLW is what both you & LO enjoy, which is the most important thing as that is what will promote healthy relationships with food as your LO gets older, not whether he's sleeping through or not!

Honestly I've found that the only people who really understand the benefits of BLW and why we don't want to mix with purees are the other people doing it :dohh: I've tried explaining myself and it's as if it doesn't matter what I say, the response is going to be there's nothing wrong with purees... My FIL's GF (always having issues with her) was saying her grandson has had the same food as the rest of the family since 6 months, it's just mashed and fed on a spoon with baby's hand on the spoon too so he's basically doing BLW too?!?! Tried explaining it's about all of us eating at the table together at the same time as a family and nothing registered with her.

I'm used to people thinking I'm the mad Irish girl anyway! :D

Thing is, I don't want to offend anyone, but IMO mixing BLW and spoonfeeding purees is NOT BLW. That's traditional weaning? You give purees and also give finger foods. The whole point of BLW is that you don't do ANY spoonfeeding. 'Mixing' is also negating the idea of giving them control over the quantity they eat. It's like saying, 'you can try and eat, then I will 'top you up' with the extra food I think you need'.

I am not trying to criticize anyone who does spoonfeeding and finger foods, you've got to do what works for you and LO but it isn't, IMO at least, BLW.

I agree completely Claire, that's what I was trying to say :thumbup:

Changing the subject... I feel a complete idiot for my post the other day complaining that Violet wasn't eating. Because what has she done since then?? Eaten so much!

Today she was asleep when I would have liked to of done breakfast so she didn't get any of that.

And lunch was at 1pm which she was fine with today, no bottle beforehand. She had half a pitta bread, half a slice of cheese on toast and quarter of a necturine (I thought she'd eaten the whole half but found the other slice when clearing up :lol:). She managed to peel the necturine as well! I have no idea how she does it!

Just wanted to say as well that I hope you all have a very, very, merry christmas and I really hope that christmas dinner goes well for everyone x :flower:

haha! They love to make liars out of us don't they.... V basically decided: "You claim I don't eat?? hah! Well, I show you!" :rofl:

Thanks for the support re: "mixes." I agree, it isn't truly BLW. But that is hard to explain to someone who is not familiar with BLW, thinks you are a nutter, and thinks you are being preachy when you claim BLW is better for portion contol.

AAANNYWAY! Glad I have you guys! Everyone else can just continue to think I am a nutter! :haha:

Merry Christmas everyone! I can't wait to read about how all the First Christmas Dinners went! :dance:

I'm getting so excited about Christmas dinner! :blush: I've decided to give Aisling a tiny tiny bit of our chicken liver pate, just one toast soldier with a scraping of it. It's home made so I know it's well cooked etc and doesn't have any added salt. It'll be interesting to see what she thinks!

I have missed a few pages, but I agree about the "BLW plus purees" thing, I have been annoyed about people saying this for a while, but also didn't want to offend.

Freya is showing the inlaws how it's done, she's been scoffing spring onions for a few days now, and loves satsumas at the moment. I have had to fend off various well meaning cake feeding grannies though, one tried to feed her trifle tonight :rofl: I don't think so!

Happy Christmas everyone, hope all your lovely babies have fun with Christmas dinner :hugs:

are you counting giving porridge with a spoon (loaded spoon, not feeding) as not truly blw?

does anyone else find their lo will just drop food on the floor to show they are done. dex will just pick up each bit of food and drop it over the side.

Yeah, Aisling does this too. She'll start to squeeze it in her hand and then drop it over the side.

I was also wondering about the porridge thing and 'true' BLWing. Alot of us do porridge with a spoon although LO has control over it. But an argument from people using purees is that they still let LO have control over the spoon when they have it. Are we being hypocritical if we offer porridge?

dex has toast for breakfast but I was thinking of starting up with porridge again.

I actually wondered about that, too. And I go back and forth -- one day I think I will start with porridge for breakfast after 6 months, then the next day I think maybe I will do eggs, toast, fruit, and things of that nature. And put off anything with a spoon until closer to a year or so when he is better able to use it himself.

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->