BLW help needed I can't get the book

m_t_rose

Mommy of Jacob and Julia
Reaction score
I have tried to order the book 3 times from 3 different places and each time my delivery date keeps getting pushed back. LO is 6 months on Friday and I really wanted to start BLW this weekend. Could someone advise me on how to start (hopefully I will get the book in the beginning of March)

What is a good first food?

What size should I cut it?

How long do I stick to one food for?

I was so excited to get the book and now I just have to keep waiting :nope:

You can give anything that isn't too salty or sugary - but some easy first foods are:
Sticks of roasted vegetables, such as potato, sweet potato, squash, courgette/zucchini, carrot.
Sticks of cheese
Pieces of soft fruit, such as pear
Toast
Pasta bows/twists, without sauce or with sauce

At first you'll need to make sure the food isn't too small, as they don't work out how to open their fists to get at the food inside for a few weeks usually. Sticks of veg about 7cm long worked well for us at the start.

You don't have to stick to one food at all.

Hope your book arrives soon!

Adam's first food was lightly steamed broccoli (not overcooked or it collapses), cut into quite big "trees" with long chunky stems. He could grab the stem easily and shoved the soft dark green bits in. :)

You can buy my book from me if you like. I no longer need it and it is almost like new. I can post it first class tomorrow.

You can buy my book from me if you like. I no longer need it and it is almost like new. I can post it first class tomorrow.

I live in Canada so it would take ages to get here. But if my book doesn't get here by the beginning of March I will take you up on that offer.

We tried steamed broccoli tonight to see what he would do with it and he bit off a big chunk and gagged and gagged over and over. He also kept shuddering and made the weirdest faces. . Is this ok?

That sounds normal to me! Gagging is totally normal. Their gag reflex is quite far forward and helps to prevent them from choking. Not nice to watch, but they don't seem that bothered. Alice does lots of face pulling with new foods, but once she's familiar with them she seems to stop doing it as much. Just make sure that he's always sitting upright when he's eating (not in a bouncy chair or similar) and it's worth checking his mouth afterwards in case he's tucked any food to one side before you let him lie down. Good luck with it! We'v only just started and it's great fun for all of us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->