BLW help with next step

carbafe

Reaction score
Hi All

I tried BLW with DS1 but he didnt take to it that well and I was a nervous FTM so he had bits and bobs of finger foods but that was all.

DS2 on the other hand loves it. So far I have given him lots of different fruits and veg and he goes nuts for them. I am also doing some spoon feeding which he doesn't mind but definitely prefers feeding himself.

What I don't know is how I should move on from fruit and veg. I gave him some pasta last week and he had a good chew on it and tried rice last night but that all just ended up on the floor :D

Do you just launch straight into giving them chicken, beef etc ? Should I give him bolognese on his pasta next time ???

What can I make that would be easy for him to feed himself ?

Is there anything that would be to much for him just now ? I read someone said they gave strips of steak - would you do this with a 6/7 month old ??

small babies struggle to chew mince so i wouldnt offer that just yet and same with pork. Chicken and salmon are good options to start with maybe make salmon fishcakes or homemade chicken nuggets.

BLW is just giving normal family foods minus a few things like salt, honey, whole/big pieces of nuts etc, so yes, if you're eating it just give it!

My youngest's first meal was spag bol (veggie mince) and she got stuck in and loved it. I gave her exactly the same as her sister who was 2.5 at the time, so as you have a 3 year old I would give them both the same. Maybe put down an old shower curtain under the high chair but apart from that no special prep is necessary. Some people choose to cut everything into stick shapes at first but we didn't, just normal food as you'd give it to a 3 year old - some cut up, some not.

I usually use veggie mince and that was always fine and we don't eat pork, but you can give any meat you'd eat. If LO struggles, they'll probably just chuck it on the floor or chew it for a while and spit it out - they still get nourishment from that so it's fine. I'd definitely give steak, chicken breast etc.

I just give a bit of whatever we are eating as long as it's not a choking hazard :)

I just give a bit of whatever we are eating as long as it's not a choking hazard :)

Out of intrest What do you consider a chocking hazard ?? He has gagged on a few things so far but is good at spitting them out.

Stuff like beans I will mash, no raw carrots, no nuts...just anything trachea shaped I guess :)

Gagging is totally normal, it is scary though!

I'd do exactly what you're already doing and then add in whatever you're eating, no matter the form. Pasta is great, as is rice. You'll definitely find a lot goes on the floor at first, but that's okay. He's exploring and learning and eventually (probably in a few months time! it's not a fast process), it will be a lot easier for him to eat. Bolognese sauce or meatballs in sauce are great. We gave strips of chicken and beef from 6 months. I can't say she ate much of it at the time, but my friend's 6 month old ate 4 huge pieces of chicken quite confidently the first time she tried it. They really can handle just about everything. We found that roasted home-made chips (made at home in the oven, not like from the chippie), roasted veg, toast with hummus/avocado/mashed banana/cream cheese, and scrambled egg were early favourites. You can also try wetter foods like yogurt, porridge, soups, and let him dip his hands in.

I found this website was great for getting ideas for things to make if I wasn't going to feed exactly what we're eating (for the night's we eat junk or something too spicy that I can't make separately for her): https://littlegrazers.com/

I make the spinach and feta muffins quite often. The carrot and coriander quinoa balls are also really tasty.

My LO had her first spag bol at about 7months and loved it. I disagree that mince is hard to chew - it's kinda pre-chewed:winkwink: but I think an expensive cut of steak might be a waste of money as so much will end up on the floor!
My LO's favourites at that age were:
Veg stew
Cottage pie
Mashed potatoes
Spag bol
Salmon
Fish fingers
Butter beans
Baked potato with cheese
Porridge
Tuna sanwiches

Thanks for all the ideas. I gave him a bit of salmon last night and he did well.

Out of intrest What do you consider a chocking hazard ?? He has gagged on a few things so far but is good at spitting them out.

I think the only thing I remember being told was a no-no was whole nuts, that grapes should be cut up and fruits with small stones should be stoned before being given i.e cherries, dates etc.

My LO is just under 7 months, and aside from the few allergic restrictions suggested, we just offer her bits and pieces of everything else. To me, I never thought of just starting on fruits or veggies, we just offered bits and pieces of different foods here and there.

She has tried potato, carrots, peas, banana, mandarin orange, blueberries, shredded chicken, marble cheddar, plain full fat greek yogurt with mushed fruit or no-sugar added fruit/veggie puree cups, spinach, avocado, mini pancake pieces with unsalted butter, rice, stir-fry veggies w/o sauce, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->