Blw vs tw

One of the positives we've found with BLW is it has improved our own diets dramatically. I've noticed a couple of the TW mums say they are worried about feeding their LOs healthy meals and we were too but we've really benefitted from that worry. I never used to get my five a day but I'm much better at it now and obviously we consume far less salt.

^^ yes, completely. BLW transformed our diets, and we've never eaten better! Tonight we had completely home made courgette lasagne, we eat more veg, more variety of meats and fish. It's been a wonderful side effect of making our food suitable for DS. We still have take aways and eat out, but our home cooked evening meals are all salt free and home made :thumbup:

I did tw with my son, at 19 weeks with porridge. He still had a very apparent tongue thrust so left it a week and so on. I never pushed food into his mouth, but he pretty much spat everything out till 6.5 months. He was having a lot of finger foods by then with all ended up on the floor. I went the tw route because my first son who's 13 is such a fab eater, has always chosen healthy over junk and I just wanted to replicate that.. My worst fear was having a picky eater after seeing so many friends kids have issues (I had a very smug face many a time when their kids were scoffing sweets and mine would ask for a banana!).. Unfortunaly down to the nature of my LO he's an awful eater. It's soul destroying watching everything end up in the bin most days and I'm not sure if I'd gone down the blw it would have made any difference.
I was very sceptical at first reading about blw when I first heard about it, it does make complete sense as a whole but I still understand the fears some mums have about choking issues.

There are benefits to messy play for babies anyway. It's good for them to be given the chance to handle textures and different objects. BLW for me sort of killed 2 birds with one stone, as he had to learn how to eat, and it gave him an opportunity to get messy. I'll see if I can find some 'benefits of mess' info...

This one is quite a sweet post
https://www.babylondon.co.uk/articles/parenting/family-life/item/577-a-little-mess-conversation

Basically it's important for children to be allowed to 'explore' their world, and there is no finer messy play IMO than spaghetti bolognaise or yogurt!! :)

Totally agree with you, Patch. I don't want insecurities passed on to my wee man.

I have no problem with messy play at all, I just don't want it in my dining room! In the same way that I wouldn't give DS an ice cream to eat on our cream sofa, I don't want him throwing spaghetti bolognese around in my dining room!

It has zero to do with insecurities, it's purely because I spend money on putting nice things in my house and where possible I want them to stay nice!
Messy play is fine outside/in the kitchen (no carpets)/at playgroups etc - I don't have a problem with mess as a whole, only when it's in my house. Obviously I'm realistic and a house with a baby and a toddler in it is always going to be messy at times - I'm not obsessive about it, I just don't want to add to the mess. He can get food all over the place if we are eating in the garden, that's no problem.

As I've said, I'm not totally against BLW by any means and I definitely see many advantages in it. DD had an entirely "BLW style" dinner last night - but nothing that came in sauce!

i have to say i love being able to eat outside where i can hose things down! i think if i was still living in my little london flat i would still be doing blw but i would be thinking more carefully about meal choices...

When we moved out of our old flat we hired a rug doctor to clean the carpets. The colour of the water that came out of the living room rug was hideous! I'm much happier now we eat over laminate and it can all be mopped!

My DD is not very messy when she eats. She doesn't throw her food and I avoid sauces.

TW. That is what I and everyone else who cares for her is most comfortable with.

As for finger foods, I fear of her choking so she won't have those for a while yet. I don't remember when we gave finger foods to my son. I think when he had teeth.

Exactly this. And even now I have to cut things up for him as I'm scared of him chocking. Oh and he's so lazy that he wants me to feed him sometimes but do you know what? I honestly don't mind. :happydance:

There are benefits to messy play for babies anyway. It's good for them to be given the chance to handle textures and different objects. BLW for me sort of killed 2 birds with one stone, as he had to learn how to eat, and it gave him an opportunity to get messy. I'll see if I can find some 'benefits of mess' info...

This one is quite a sweet post
https://www.babylondon.co.uk/articles/parenting/family-life/item/577-a-little-mess-conversation

Basically it's important for children to be allowed to 'explore' their world, and there is no finer messy play IMO than spaghetti bolognaise or yogurt!! :)

Totally agree with you, Patch. I don't want insecurities passed on to my wee man.

I have no problem with messy play at all, I just don't want it in my dining room! In the same way that I wouldn't give DS an ice cream to eat on our cream sofa, I don't want him throwing spaghetti bolognese around in my dining room!

It has zero to do with insecurities, it's purely because I spend money on putting nice things in my house and where possible I want them to stay nice!
Messy play is fine outside/in the kitchen (no carpets)/at playgroups etc - I don't have a problem with mess as a whole, only when it's in my house. Obviously I'm realistic and a house with a baby and a toddler in it is always going to be messy at times - I'm not obsessive about it, I just don't want to add to the mess. He can get food all over the place if we are eating in the garden, that's no problem.

As I've said, I'm not totally against BLW by any means and I definitely see many advantages in it. DD had an entirely "BLW style" dinner last night - but nothing that came in sauce!

Oh and this reason too, the mess aspect. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->