Book recommendations

DobbyForever

Done with One
Reaction score
Just curious, what books are you all reading to get ready for baby? I have the newest WTE, and it's fun to read about my pregnancy and what not but I feel like it does a lot of talking about symptoms. I'm wondering what books everyone is reading and what are they covering? My friend was talking about how her book covers stretching and parenting and all these things and I feel like I'm not informed enough now =\

I told myself that I'm not allowed to read any books this time around. Last time I got so obsessed and I was TOO knowledgeable about everything that when baby came along and he didn't 'fit' into the mould of what a baby 'should' be like, I freaked out thinking I was doing everything wrong lol..

This time I know every baby is different so I will just be taking my cues from baby and not what the book tells me to do or expect.

DISCLAIMER: This is ME personally, I'm not saying others shouldn't read books, I'm just saying that I take them too literally :haha:

Lol I'll probably be the same way. I guess I just freak out because I'm an elementary teacher and there is such a clear difference in my students by second grade that I don't want to mess anything up. Especially since I feel like I already effed my kid up being a single mom

Oh hun being a single mum will not eff up your child. Children only know what they know and they adapt so well. More than we give them credit for.

It's the whole nature vs nurture thing. I believe in nature more which is evidenced by the fact effed up parents can have unbelievably good kids and fantastic parents can have little terrors lol..

You will be great!

I've bought two books. One on hypnobirthing which is quite interesting/useful, if a little bit away with fairies at times for me. And I've bought one book on basic caring for a baby - First Time Parent by Lucy Atkins. I do like it, it doesn't tell you what you must do, rather is basic advice on caring for a baby from newborn - one. She never advocates one specific method and is keen to point out you will work out what is best!

I'm refusing to read anything about specific ways you should bring up your baby. My sister in law had all these preconceived ideas from books and got herself in a right flap when it didn't work for her baby! She used to get so upset about not being able to do things they way she planned from all her books! I'm taking the opposite approach, so long as I know the basics, I'll do whatever works for me and baby. Same with labour as well, I'm not going into labour refusing all drugs and thinking i'll be an Earth mother. If I need drugs, I'll take them. I'll just see how I feel at the time!

Sonny that is a very wise attitude to have. I was like your sister in law first time around. I'll be more like you this time around as I've been there done that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->