bored/lazy eater

Naimi

Reaction score
Hi girls, Lately Matthew seems to be either very lazy or getting bored with his eating. For quite a while he was taking a steady 5oz every 3 hours and 4 oz for his last feed at 10.30pm. However for the last week he's only take 4 every 3 hours and thats if I'm lucky, sometimes it'll only be 3.5oz. He's always hungry every 3 hours and if I'm not quick enough with the bottle he'll throw a paddy, but after 3oz he just seems to get bored. He gums the teat and won't take any more than another half if I push him too. I thought by now I could get him to go 4 hours but while he's only taking 3.5oz i don't stand a chance.

Any idea's why this is or do your babies do it to?

thanks x

Wouldn't go to teat 3 if your on teat 2 - we tried this

If teat 1 I'd move to teat 2

Saying that my experience is with Tommee ctn! What bottles you use?

Regardless although teat 2 has helped Caitlin is exactly the same. Sometimes takes 6-7! She'll have between 4-7 at a push at night sleep through and in the morning often take 3-4 and go back for nap. She also appear a lazy sucker and get bored/fedup.

I've used every bottle on the market I think LOL, but since about 8 weeks (now 13) I've been using Tommee Tippee with size 2 teats. The milk he does take he seems to take okay, doesn't dribble or choke so I know they aren't too fast, but also doesn't fall asleep so I don't think they are too slow either. I remember reading your post Wobbles about moving Caitlin to no3's but them being too fast, so I have held off trying that, I don't want to waste the money, spent enough on bottles already :)

maybe be is just lazy, or a typical man and loses intrest very quickly ! LOL

Wouldn't be a waste as such as you'll need them in the end but they are mega fast for her at 4 months.

I bought MAM bottles to try but they are so different I left it after one try. May use them when she holds her own rather than now.

I'm going to speak to HV about it as I'm unsure if to try the baby rice now but I'd like a bit of advice as I'm a bit confused about it @ the moment.

you're not alone with weaning confusion, this is my third baby and i'm still unsure what to do and when to start.

Matthew has had the signs for the last couple weeks, chewing fists constantly, not going the usual time between feeds, not taking all of feeds and losing intrest. But, i know 3 months is way too early. For you i'd say its about the right time, sounds like she's ready to me.

I had thought about changing bottles again, but could be a waste, and i'm not sure if theres any left i haven't tried :)

Doesn't sound like a bottle problem to me esspecially as you've tried a couple. Tommee are quite fast flow (stage 2).

Talk to your HV I'm sure if you think so you know best and baby rice is ok for a 3mnth old but obviously don't know for sure just stuff I've pickedup from others and other peoples advice.

I think you're right Wobs, pretty sure it isn't the bottles cause up till now he's been fine with Tomee Tipee.

I was wondering whether it was because of teething or more specifically pain in his gums. He's had a temperature and red cheeks for the last week or so and that would explain the fists in mouth too. I thought maybe the bottle on his gums was hurting, or felt good so rather than eating was just gumming the bottle cause it felt nice.

Andrew got back from tesco about 10 mins before Matthews 4.30 feed with the teething gel I sent him out for, so to test my theory I put some on his gums then gave him his bottle a couple of minutes later. Not only did he take all 5oz and drain the bottle dry, I think he would have taken more if it had been in there. He didn't fidget or even stop for breathe, took all 5oz in one go. It may be coincidence, but i'll try it again on his next feed.

Could Caitlin be doing it for the same reason you think ? might be worth a try.

sounds like that is doing the trick hun with the teeth gel hun

Did you buy bonjela?

What I do with bottles is if she takes up to 5 (in yoru case) I make 6oz bottles up! When she goes past 5oz even if its 5half go to 7oz until your at the full 9oz

x

Yeah i got Bonjela, well Andrew did :)

I thought I had it sussed, but he only took 3.5oz of his evening bottle, the usual 3oz of this night time bottle and only 3.5oz of every bottle since.

Maybe he's under the weather or the teething is stressing him out. Thing is, its not like he's upset and won't feed, he really does seem to just get bored. He's always happy, smiling and guming at the teat, but not upset or in pain.

I bought the no3 teats today Wobs for the tomee tipee so I'll give it a try, but I think it'll probably be like Caitlin and they'll be too fast.

Thanks for your input xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"