Breakfast ideas for an almost 6 month old?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
This week I've been giving Thomas a bit of baby food after his lunch time bottle, next week I plan to give him some breakfast after his morning bottle and then food afte his lunch time bottle.

Anyone any ideas what sort of things I can give him? I tried him with baby porridge a couple of weeks ago and he just kept spitting it out.

My lo isn't keen on baby porridge either but you could try it with a bit of puree fruit mixed in. I've just started giving my lo yogurt which she likes. You could also try something like weetabix or if you're ok with blw you could try toast.

My lo isn't keen on baby porridge either but you could try it with a bit of puree fruit mixed in. I've just started giving my lo yogurt which she likes. You could also try something like weetabix or if you're ok with blw you could try toast.

I thought about wheetabix but would it be okay mixed with his formula milk? Or do I put it with normal milk? I didnt think babies were allowed dairy until 12 months so do they need special yoghurt? I'm going to try BLW in a few weeks. Sorry about all the questions, I don't have a clue lol

He also just may not be ready. Mia spit out purees when we first tried we waited 2 weeks and tried again and than she had no trouble with spitting them out. If I were you I would wait a week or two and than try again with a fruit or veg. I don't know many babies who like baby cereal.

Yoghurt, porridge even toast let him hold it and suck at it. Also banana x

Babies can have dairy from 6 months and you're pretty much there so I would go for it. The only thing you shouldn't do is replace breastmilk or formula with other milk until 12 months, so don't give it as a drink. You're fine to use your usual milk (go for full fat though) on cereal, in cooking etc. You can use formula if you want but there's no need.

If you want to do BLW, I wouldn't start off spoon feeding or using purées because LO can get used to a certain quantity of food right from the start, then if you switch to BLW they can get frustrated. Your LO is old enough to do proper BLW now.

Baby porridge is a bit yuk IMO so I'd just give normal porridge or something like Ready Brek. You can also give cereals like Weetabix, rice crispies, Cheerio-type cereals without honey... really just watch out for nuts and honey. All of that can be done with BLW, just give LO a spoon, perhaps use less milk than you would otherwise and leave LO to it!

ETA - I'd suggest reading the BLW book as it covers all the basics.

I would add formula to cereals so that you keep the amount of formula (or breast milk) lo is having up. As far as I'm aware normal milk is fine if it's cooked with but should be avoided otherwise until 12 months. I've just been giving my lo baby jars of yoghurt (special ones you find with the other jarred foods) because she doesn't like cold food and they can be served at room temperature.
We have just started blw at lunch time and because she still has her puree at breakfast and dinner she doesn't get frustrated. She never had puree at lunch so its all just something new to her now. I plan on introducing blw slowly rather than stopping her purees straight away so she shouldn't get frustrated.

I would add formula to cereals so that you keep the amount of formula (or breast milk) lo is having up. As far as I'm aware normal milk is fine if it's cooked with but should be avoided otherwise until 12 months. I've just been giving my lo baby jars of yoghurt (special ones you find with the other jarred foods) because she doesn't like cold food and they can be served at room temperature.
We have just started blw at lunch time and because she still has her puree at breakfast and dinner she doesn't get frustrated. She never had puree at lunch so its all just something new to her now. I plan on introducing blw slowly rather than stopping her purees straight away so she shouldn't get frustrated.

That's not introducing BLW, that's continuing with traditional weaning by adding in finger foods.

Great idea.. we haven't introduced lunch yet and I'd like to do your approach.. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->