Breast feeding 6 months+

Helen

ICSI Twins + miracle BFP
Reaction score
So, I've got a bit of dilemma buzzing in my brain at the moment. I'd always had in my mind that if I could BF two babies that probably the longest I'd manage would be 6 months. Well double-trouble are 4 months :)shock: I know!) and BF still going ok.

I've been looking into weaning information and naively it's suddenly dawned on me that they can't have cows milk until they are 12 months. God knows what I thought they would have between 6 and 12 months but now I'm contemplating carrying on.

My brain is just confusing me at the moment tho:
1. It's more convenient breast-feeding two because you can feed two at once.
2. But fitting two on my cushion is already getting a bit tricky as they get bigger and wrigglier and it's only going to get harder.
3. Who's to say you can't bottle feed two at once?
4. When can they feed themselves?
5. I'd quite like to get back into running properly again and (despite strapping everything down) it's a bit of a no-no.
6. I'd quite like to wear sexy underwear again that doesn't undo at the top and matches. :rofl:
7. I'd like not to have to wear a bra at night because everything gets so full and leaky otherwise.
8. I'd like some freedom back. It'd be nice for them to go stay overnight somewhere or so I don't have to rush home if I go out. I'm not sure I could find the time or the milk to express enough for them to stay over somewhere. What if I didn't do enough?:wacko:
9. Is it selfish of me to think about giving up if I don't have to for the sake of a few more months?
10. Is it a bit odd to see children that old still being BF? Why do I think that might be the case?
11. Obviously it's better for them, but does that really matter after 6 months?
12. Do you have to sterilise bottles after 6 months? Do they still have bottles after 6 months or do they have cups?
13. Can I be arsed sterilising and faffing if you do?
14. Will I miss feeding them and wish I hadn't stopped?
15. Is it going to hurt so bad to stop that it's better to ease off naturally?
16. It would be nice for my weight/eating habits to be a bit more normal. (For the benefit of those who read my weight loss thread I put back on 5lbs :happydance: and then lost most of it again! :dohh:I'm now 9 stone. Could do with another half a stone really)

Help! Thoughts please! :wacko:

Not sure what to suggest Helen, Kayleigh is still fully bf, but is now having 3 meals a day and taking less milk. I will shortly have to top her up during day with formula 'cos I can't express enough @ lunch now only 4oz as supply dropped as been @ work for two months +. So soon she will just be BF morning and night. When she isn't keen on been woken for ealy morning feed that one will be dropped too. I want to keep up as long as I can but I think that is partly 'cos i'm back at work. Its certainly easier bf upto 12 months as no bottles to be sterilized ( need to sterilise upto 12 months), and can drink cows milk.

If you decide to stop I would try gradually by substituting one feed at a time over a few weeks and your supply will compensate.

Your not being selfish hun, you've done incredibly well to get this far.

Good luck with what you decide.

:hugs: This thread made me smile...:lol:

Sorry I have no advice to give. Good luck hun with what ever you decide to do...Im sure Double Trouble will love what ever you decide to do....:hugs:

I don't think it's unusual to BF past 6 months. My sister still feeds her 8 month old, my cousin still gives her 18 month old a night time feed, and my mum BF all of us until we were able to undo her buttons lol. Go with what is right for you and the babies.

Hi Helen

Just going to reply to some of your thoughts, in no particular order (!):
Children benefit nutritionally from breastmilk up until the age of 2 so if you do want to continue then that's good to know.
Around 5 months I was able to stop wearing breastpads at night and at about 6 months I stopped wearing them at all, that felt so liberating!
I don't think it looks odd to bfeed an "older" baby at all, I stopped when Olivia was 18 months old and didn't feel like she was too big to feed (but from 1 yr she pretty much only fed morning and night unless we were in the house together when she would comfort feed more).
You're not selfish to want to be able to go out and not worry about expressing etc!

Personally I did miss the bfeeding once I had stopped and was glad I was able to get to 18 months, I look back with fond memories (except the first 9 wks!). That's not to say though that the lovely cosy cuddles we have now in place of the feeds aren't lovely too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->