breast feeding and teething

loz

Reaction score
harrison is cutting his back teeth at the moment, when he is feeding he is camping his gums on my nipple and pulling on it, it really really hurts. is anyone elses lo doing this or anyone know how i can stop him from doing it?
:shrug:

Hey, I've just replied to this thread and I think it covers your Q too x

https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/240109-biting-one-boob.html

Aisling's just cutting her first tooth too so it's something I've been looking into!

There's lots of things that work for different people. Some find that giving a yell of pain shows LO that they've hurt mummy and this makes them stop. Others find this makes LO laugh! :dohh: Some LOs are scared by this and end up with negative bfing associations and it can bring on a nursing strike. We've just come out the other side of a nursing strike so it's not something I'm willing to try (if I can stop myself from screaming that is!)

The other thing I've read which makes sense to me is to take baby off the boob when they bite and hand them to daddy or put them on the floor for a minute, then resume the feed. It's not a punishment, they're too young for that. But the idea is that they'll begin to associate biting with the feed coming to an end and therefore stop. Here's hoping it works!

Bonjela and teething powders stopped Theakston.

Saying 'no' or yelping doesn't work for us, he gets very upset and I don't want to risk another nursing strike. I've started taking him off when he bites, I'm trying to get him to see that if he bites, the milk (or comfort) stops. I also find that on his really bad days when he's in a lot of pain it helps to make sure he's had some Motrin or Tylenol before he nurses - less pain seems to mean less biting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->