Breast feeding in front of family?

Fil and dad were uncomfortable for a while but they got used to it.
I basically said if they leave the room every time I feed they won't see us!
Just do it and they can like it or lump it and you never knowyou may find an aadvocate in the most unlikely person.
Xx

I have chosen to leave the room, the first week is difficult, I had severe after pains and it really hurt to latch so for that reason I wanted privacy. Once it is more settled and I can do it more discreetly it won't bother me.

The first time I BF at the hospital my mil and fil came over while I was doing it...I struggled to cover up but I was really barely covered at all. Mil was fine with it and even tried to help me cover up (which didn't work too well) but I think it made fil a bit embarrassed though he is all for bf'ing. Haven't bf in front of fil since.

While at the hospital I bf without a cover in front of dh, mom, sis, the nurses, the cafeteria lady :blush: just because I couldn't see anything when I used a cover.

However, since then I got better. I prefer to bf without a cover but the only two people I feel comfortable doing that in front of are dh and my mother. But I am able to use a cover for any other occasion. I have never left the room to bf but if I couldn't use a cover I probably would have.

I really don't give a toss anymore! I am confident feeding my baby as and when he wants :).

I do sometimes leave the room to go upstairs, but that is because he is now in the phase where he gets distracted and won't feed if there are things going on.

i normally try to latch him on when they go out the room as havent mastered being discrete. then i just use a muslin to cover up.

Also depends on LO mood if he fussy then il go out the room...otherwise everyone ends up seeing boob. lol

With DD1 I felt a little embarrassed. I hadnt perfected getting my boob out subtly so having family staring at me whilst feeding was a little awkward. With DD2 I literally dont give two hoots about feeding or even accidentally exposing myself!

I thought it was funny when ever William would make a cry every one would panic and start leaving, "omg hes hungry we better go". Some literally only just arrived and where saying that. Others decided to ask my other half on the phone when I had my second was I breastfeeding as they didnt want to see that :wacko: And my mum making apologies for me breastfeeding.

I have chosen to leave the room, the first week is difficult, I had severe after pains and it really hurt to latch so for that reason I wanted privacy. Once it is more settled and I can do it more discreetly it won't bother me.

Oh wow you've had your baby, huge congratulations Hun :flower: xx

I thought it was funny when ever William would make a cry every one would panic and start leaving, "omg hes hungry we better go". Some literally only just arrived and where saying that. Others decided to ask my other half on the phone when I had my second was I breastfeeding as they didnt want to see that :wacko: And my mum making apologies for me breastfeeding.

Omg that's awful Hun xx

Thanks for the replies ladies, I am really looking forward to breast feeding :D I think I'll just leave the room when inlaws are over as it'll only be for the first week and will give us a bit alone bonding time :)

Its not rude to leave the room every time however if its your house they should be the ones to leave the room :haha: IMO
I feed in front of my close female family e.g my mum,sister,aunt,nan,grandma etc but have not in front of the in laws or male family x

Thanks for the replies ladies, I am really looking forward to breast feeding :D I think I'll just leave the room when inlaws are over as it'll only be for the first week and will give us a bit alone bonding time :)

We've had family over all week, and tbh it's lovely being able to remove ourselves from a noisy room and just go upstairs for a bit of quiet. So long as you are doing what makes you comfortable.

I was embarrassed at first and went upstairs to feed when my dad was over and my mum had a moan at me for it. Now I feed wherever and if they want to leave that's their choice. I've not mattered the discreet bit yet so it's a juggle of cushions and muslins.

I was at my parents and they had family over. I went upstairs to feed with get some peace and quiet. The next thing I know my aunt is coming up the stairs for a chat. I wasn't impressed, sometimes it's nice to get away from the family.

The only person in my family I haven't fed in front of is my Grandad.
Dd feeds so often (still every hour or so) that I wouldn't see anyone if I left the room. My fil acts super awkward when I do it but you can't see anything as I layer my tops.

xx

I feed anywhere and in front of everyone. At first I would leave the room or even hide in public toilets but my dad actually told me to stop being silly, and that no one was staring at my boobs so not to worry.

As for my. MIL I wish she was a bit more shy. The other day as she was leaving when I was bf, she came and give DS a kiss while he was on the boob :haha: now that was uncomfortable for me but at least she wasn't bothered that he was feeding.

I am lucky that ALL my family bf and it is he norm to them.

My SIL used to leave the room but now she stays and won't look at me or she gets all giggly.

Just do what feels comfortable to you x

Definitely not rude! In the first week I had a breastfeeding 'spot' on my bed. My night stand had magazines, my phone, a water bottle, heating pad, lip balm, snacks, nipple cream, etc. It was actually inconvenient to nurse anywhere else lol

I've left the room but more because I've been fiddling with getting latch and my Mum thinks she is the expert on all things breast feeding (she isn't and she just gets nasty with it) so when they stayed I left the room and went to my bedroom. Not done it in front of the inlaws either yet as they don't approve of breastfeeding. However I'm fine feeding in front of my baby group friends :) I think as I get faster at the latch I will feed more though and time with DS is lovely :D

I just whip them out whenever she wants to eat, I couldn't care less who sees. My baby's having lunch, so what?!

I hadn't met my inlaws until just a few days ago when we travelled up there so little one could meet her grandparents. We'd been there literally only minutes before I had to feed her. I did have a bit of a gulp at the weirdness of the very polite "hello, so nice to meet you, etc etc" conversation being so quickly followed my naked boobs making an appearance! But I did it nonetheless and within a few hours ALL of the family had copped an eyeful and I stopped caring again. We had a good giggle at the absurdity of the situation later on!

When my daughter was new born I always fed her on my own somewhere although if it was just me and hubby at home and someone arrived once she was latched I didn't mind. I found it hard to latch discreetly in the begining. Now I feed her in front of anyone except my dad who's horribly embarrassed even though everything is covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->