Breast feeding in front of family?

It´s definitely not rude at all, you have to do what makes you feel most comfortable. You and baby are number one so you must make sure you make it work for you and no-one should come inbetween. I went into another room until I got more confident. I´ve now been bf for 4 months and have gradually built up the confidence to be able to feed in public and in other peoples company. Once you get a little more confident you can practise at home and take it from there xx

I fed no matter who was in the room. No way was I moving. FIL was in a care home and when I went to feed LO, MIL asked me to leave his room as he would be uncomfortable with it. He was barely able to talk but made it perfectly clear I should stay where I was, bless him.

My ten year old nephew was a wee bit awkward about it but I told him he could stay and ask questions if he wanted and he happily plonked himself beside me. I have gay BILs who were absolutely fine about it, I fed in front of friends, of family, of whoever. It was actually quite good as it got me used to doing it in front of folk so when I first ventured out in pubic I was quite well practiced.

I didn't read all the replies. I'm not comfortable BFing in front of most people. My mom, sister and MIL not a problem. I also had no problem with lactation consultants, the nurses at the NICU and now my BFing group. Honestly, not everyone can cover up or be discrete so that is very personal and I always got upset when people would say that to me because it would make me feel like I was failing at being a mom in some way. There are a lot of reasons that covering up is not an option and some people don't understand how difficult it can be with not only latching problems but if you have to rely on the aid of a nipple shield or something. My daughter will SCREAM and then not latch if I try to cover her head and my breasts are large so there is no way to partially cover up without covering her head.

Although, I do suggest openly BFing in front of those who you do feel comfortable with and continue to try to open up to more people. My BFing support group was awkward the first time but already is starting to feel more natural after the second week. I say this only because as baby gets older you will want to be out and about more often so you aren't always going to be able to find somewhere to feed your baby that isn't at least somewhat out in the open (like in a car). I refuse to feed my baby in a restroom so that's not an option for me. Public restrooms are dirty.

I don't know why, but i was always comfortable feeding in front of complete strangers because I didn't give a crap about what they thought and if I was making them uneasy etc.

I felt far more uncomfortable doing it in front of friends and family I had known for years. :shrug:

I didn't read all the replies. I'm not comfortable BFing in front of most people. My mom, sister and MIL not a problem. I also had no problem with lactation consultants, the nurses at the NICU and now my BFing group. Honestly, not everyone can cover up or be discrete so that is very personal and I always got upset when people would say that to me because it would make me feel like I was failing at being a mom in some way. There are a lot of reasons that covering up is not an option and some people don't understand how difficult it can be with not only latching problems but if you have to rely on the aid of a nipple shield or something. My daughter will SCREAM and then not latch if I try to cover her head and my breasts are large so there is no way to partially cover up without covering her head.

Although, I do suggest openly BFing in front of those who you do feel comfortable with and continue to try to open up to more people. My BFing support group was awkward the first time but already is starting to feel more natural after the second week. I say this only because as baby gets older you will want to be out and about more often so you aren't always going to be able to find somewhere to feed your baby that isn't at least somewhat out in the open (like in a car). I refuse to feed my baby in a restroom so that's not an option for me. Public restrooms are dirty.

Don't let anyone make you feel you should cover up. Ever!
Bet you don't go round trying to cover up mens butt cracks, teenage girls arse cheeks, women's cleavage!
I don't understand how people who wouldn't say something to any old person suddenly thinks they should have a say in your life just because you happen to have a baby and feeding them the natural way.

Personally I worried about this myself before baby came. My very first go at breastfeeding in the hospital and MIL walked in so I got over that pretty quickly. I dont mind feeding infront of my mum or female friends as long as there isnt many around. I normally go to another room where it's quiet to feed if there are any men around but I'll leave the door open - I guess I also feel comfortable with certain people more than others because I have a female friend who I don't feed in front of because I can feel it makes her uncomfortable.

The only time I BF without any cover is with DH around. Otherwise I wear my Hooter cover, which is actually really comfortable!

This post got me thinking, though. I never leave the room when I have to BF with the cover, nor do I ask or consider if anyone is uncomfortable (should I? lol). When LO gets hungry I just put on the cover and start BF. She does make gulping sounds, which can get awkward if the room's quiet :haha:

The only time I BF without any cover is with DH around. Otherwise I wear my Hooter cover, which is actually really comfortable!

This post got me thinking, though. I never leave the room when I have to BF with the cover, nor do I ask or consider if anyone is uncomfortable (should I? lol). When LO gets hungry I just put on the cover and start BF. She does make gulping sounds, which can get awkward if the room's quiet :haha:

Haha! The gulping sounds are awkward, as are the moans and grunts when DS is really hungry.

I'm so glad i read this!! im due march 19 so 10 more weeks and im done.. but i have never thought of bf at this point... i mean i never thought about doing it infront of anyone or leaving the room... i find it interesting and im blushing thinking about my inlaws looking at me while bf i could do it around my Sil and Mil But A big NO NO infront of my Bil's (we think the one thats older than my dh like me lol) or fil (i hate him to death)

I'm so glad i read this!! im due march 19 so 10 more weeks and im done.. but i have never thought of bf at this point... i mean i never thought about doing it infront of anyone or leaving the room... i find it interesting and im blushing thinking about my inlaws looking at me while bf i could do it around my Sil and Mil But A big NO NO infront of my Bil's (we think the one thats older than my dh like me lol) or fil (i hate him to death)

Hi Michelle,
I just wanted to comment that you can get the confidence over time and with practise, so don´t worry! I wasn´t confident for the first few months and was dreading how I was going to cope at my aunts house on Christmas day with a house full of uncles, cousins and everyone else around and nowhere to escape to! I practised for a few weeks before I was due to go home for the holidays and by then had the trick to bf in public discreetly well underway. I use a vest under my top so I put my hand under my top, unclip my nursing bra and pull my boob out without lifting the outer top, put baby in nursing position then lift outer top. I also use a light cotton scarf alot around my neck which is great at covering any bits you don´t want people around you to see or if baby unlatches you can use the scarf to cover. There are videos on youtube too which you can look at. BF can be done without people even noticing you´re doing it (...I went from being scared at the thoughts, to bf on packed trains, coffee shops, restaurants.....). Good luck mama, you can do it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->