Breast feeding in public? Your views?

I took "making a show of themselves" as a woman that makes it a bigger deal than it should be. Like they're just hoping someone even looks at them wrong so they can make a scene. An attention seeker in other words.

I took "making a show of themselves" as a woman that makes it a bigger deal than it should be. Like they're just hoping someone even looks at them wrong so they can make a scene. An attention seeker in other words.

So what exactly is it these women are doing that is making it a bigger deal than it should be? :wacko:

I don't care if it is done but just be discreet about it. If you don't have a cover, at least TRY to position in a way to keep things at least a little private.
Just as people should respect a bfing mom, bfing moms need to respect others as well.

I fail to see how you can feed in a 'disrespectful' way. I don't have a cover, nor do I want one. I don't eat with a sheet over my head I don't expect my baby to. I also don't specifically go sit in a corner, I'm not doing something private or shameful.

When I feed my son my entire nipple is in his mouth and most of my breast is obscured by his head. This is true of all babies being fed. My breasts are not sexual objects they are designed to feed my baby, I'm not 'getting them out' to excite anybody, there is nothing offensive about it.

So what exactly is it these women are doing that is making it a bigger deal than it should be? :wacko:

Like you mentioned you do, whipping out the whole boob. Now while there is nothing wrong with that for most BFing mommas who do it just to feed their LO, I'm sure there are moms out there who do it in hopes that it will get them attention. It's just some weird way for them to feel like they're 'special'. There's really no difference in what they do unless they're walking around with a boob hanging out and no baby attached or something :p
Like I said, just an attention seeker trying to make a big show out of nothing.
And before it's said, YES, that means whipping out the boob just to feed your child may be considered by the random person that notices that you're making a show of it. They don't know you, but that's just people being judgemental people.
Not sure how much better I can explain that.... :dohh:

Like you mentioned you do, whipping out the whole boob. Now while there is nothing wrong with that for most BFing mommas who do it just to feed their LO, I'm sure there are moms out there who do it in hopes that it will get them attention. It's just some weird way for them to feel like they're 'special'. There's really no difference in what they do unless they're walking around with a boob hanging out and no baby attached or something :p
Like I said, just an attention seeker trying to make a big show out of nothing.
And before it's said, YES, that means whipping out the boob just to feed your child may be considered by the random person that notices that you're making a show of it. They don't know you, but that's just people being judgemental people.
Not sure how much better I can explain that.... :dohh:

So it's just your perception that they're making a bigger deal out of it than they should then?

It's my perception that women who use covers are making more of a deal out of it than they should. I mean, why faff around with all that fabric and covering your baby up, having to take it everywhere with you, when you can just whip your boob out?! :haha:

Quite honestly, I am feeding my baby. I don't care less what a random person walking past thinks of me, which is probably why I have never once encoutered any negativity about BF in public.

As far as im concerned if the baby hasnt got a problem with me having dinner in public I havnt got a problem with them in having dinner in public.
I have seen one or two making a obvious thing about "iv got my boobs out and you cant stop me" and tbh making a little bir of a show of themself but thats a rare case.

What exactly is 'making a little bit of a show of themself'? :wacko:

Are women dancing around, waving their breasts shouting 'look at me, I'm breastfeeding?'

When I feed my baby, I am feeding my baby. Sometimes I lift my top up and not much is on show, other times I pull my top down which pretty much exposes my whole breast, the only thing you can't see is what is covered by the baby. I am a 36H, so not small breasted, so it's often pretty obvious to people that I am breastfeeding. I am not 'making a show of myself' I am feeding my baby in the easiest way possible.

Breasts are for feeding babies. It is only in our culture, where we have been conditioned to view breasts as primarily sexual that anyone would think that anyone feeding their baby could be making a 'show of themselves'. This is exactly one of the reasons women should nurse in public, to normalise it. To normalise breasts being used to feed children.

The link pictures a woman breastfeeding in front of the President of Venezuela. I doubt anyone would refer to her as 'making a show of herself' or would you?

https://www.007b.com/public-breastfeeding-world.php

A few weeks ago at work I was taking the food over to a table where the mother was bf, I didnt even realise thats what she was doing as I normaly do the children section it happens so much you dont even notice.
However this time I was training a young lad and it was his first night out on the floor with me so he was standing next to me holding the rest of the plates.
This woman stood to put her baby back in the buggy and hovered over her baby fussing for about 10 seconds without putting her boob away so it was hanging out for all to see, the poor lad with me nearly shat himself and nearly droped the plate (he was only 16).
A few minutes later I walked past them again to check everything was ok to over hear her laughing with her mate that she did it on purpose because the reaction is funny and how no one can or would say a dam thing to her.

This I found very unfair to delibratly try to make a young lad uncomfertable for no other reason then she could knowing no one would dare tell her to put it away.

Granted these two girls where not exactly what id call your adverage respectable parent type (for want of a better word rather trashy and full of themselves).

About 4 years ago working in another resturant there was another woman bf and had been sitting there for about 10 minutes again I didnt even notice untill I was taking a elderly couple to a table nearby and the man didnt even look her way as he was chatting to me and im pretty certain he never even saw her but she still felt the need to suddenly shout out at the top of her lungs " yeah im breastfeeding so what, try looking the other way perv" the poor couple mortified just left as they didnt know what to say.

Thats what I mean by making a show of themselves, like I said before its a very rare incident and im pretty sure your adverage mother is nothing like this what so ever but the odd one does exsist.

There is nothing wrong with it, if anything some places to need to be much more accommodating, I think stores over a certain size should provide proper seating areas. It's down to the mother's discretion what she feels comfortable with, everybody else has to deal with it reasonably, the opinion of strangers should play no part in how women are treated, we certainly wouldn't see mums thrown out of places because of "offended" customers if it was the case.

As far as im concerned if the baby hasnt got a problem with me having dinner in public I havnt got a problem with them in having dinner in public.
I have seen one or two making a obvious thing about "iv got my boobs out and you cant stop me" and tbh making a little bir of a show of themself but thats a rare case.

Are women dancing around, waving their breasts shouting 'look at me, I'm breastfeeding?'

When I feed my baby, I am feeding my baby. Sometimes I lift my top up and not much is on show, other times I pull my top down which pretty much exposes my whole breast, the only thing you can't see is what is covered by the baby. I am a 36H, so not small breasted, so it's often pretty obvious to people that I am breastfeeding. I am not 'making a show of myself' I am feeding my baby in the easiest way possible.

Breasts are for feeding babies. It is only in our culture, where we have been conditioned to view breasts as primarily sexual that anyone would think that anyone feeding their baby could be making a 'show of themselves'. This is exactly one of the reasons women should nurse in public, to normalise it. To normalise breasts being used to feed children.

The link pictures a woman breastfeeding in front of the President of Venezuela. I doubt anyone would refer to her as 'making a show of herself' or would you?

A few weeks ago at work I was taking the food over to a table where the mother was bf, I didnt even realise thats what she was doing as I normaly do the children section it happens so much you dont even notice.
However this time I was training a young lad and it was his first night out on the floor with me so he was standing next to me holding the rest of the plates.
This woman stood to put her baby back in the buggy and hovered over her baby fussing for about 10 seconds without putting her boob away so it was hanging out for all to see, the poor lad with me nearly shat himself and nearly droped the plate (he was only 16).
A few minutes later I walked past them again to check everything was ok to over hear her laughing with her mate that she did it on purpose because the reaction is funny and how no one can or would say a dam thing to her.

This I found very unfair to delibratly try to make a young lad uncomfertable for no other reason then she could knowing no one would dare tell her to put it away.

Granted these two girls where not exactly what id call your adverage respectable parent type (for want of a better word rather trashy and full of themselves).

About 4 years ago working in another resturant there was another woman bf and had been sitting there for about 10 minutes again I didnt even notice untill I was taking a elderly couple to a table nearby and the man didnt even look her way as he was chatting to me and im pretty certain he never even saw her but she still felt the need to suddenly shout out at the top of her lungs " yeah im breastfeeding so what, try looking the other way perv" the poor couple mortified just left as they didnt know what to say.

Thats what I mean by making a show of themselves, like I said before its a very rare incident and im pretty sure your adverage mother is nothing like this what so ever but the odd one does exsist.

Fair enough, the second woman sounds an idiot, although in the first example maybe she just forgot and she was laughing about that? It is really easy when you are breastfeeding to forget to put your boob away, I have almost answered the door to a postman with my boob still out before and have stood up/almost stood up loads of times when feeding in public without putting my boob away. :blush:

Fair enough, the second woman sounds an idiot, although in the first example maybe she just forgot and she was laughing about that? It is really easy when you are breastfeeding to forget to put your boob away, I have almost answered the door to a postman with my boob still out before and have stood up/almost stood up loads of times when feeding in public without putting my boob away. :blush:

I completly get the whole feeding and forgetting what your doing, iv done it myself where I answered the door to the boiler repair man and only realised at the last split second I was still hanging out when lo was a few days old but this woman was specificaly laughing and said outright how she did it on purpose.

Iv never actualy fed in public but purely because our bf venture never lasted long enough to get to that point and tbh it was a huge fear of mine because of a personal experiance thats a differant story.
Like iv said before I honestly have no problem with bf in public, I have seen it quite alot because of my job its common to have a mother feeding her baby even if it was to just keep them happy while others ate (especialy seen as my section is normaly the childrens section) its just the whole making a show of themselves thing, still doesnt make me think the act is wrong just rather the attitude of the person is a bit off if that makes sense.

Yes, it makes sense and I agree. Being an idiot and breastfeeding aren't mutually exclusive and behaving like an idiot isn't really a breastfeeding in public issue. :haha:

Nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public and I love it when I see a woman doing it. I don't care if they use covers or not either. I never used a cover, Maria wouldn't have liked it and yeah she would pull off my breast sometimes and expose me to everyone but no one ever gave me a dirty look (if they even noticed) and I wouldn't have cared if they did anyway.

Nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public and I love it when I see a woman doing it. I don't care if they use covers or not either. I never used a cover, Maria wouldn't have liked it and yeah she would pull off my breast sometimes and expose me to everyone but no one ever gave me a dirty look (if they even noticed) and I wouldn't have cared if they did anyway.

I always wonder when bf ladies say that people stare,they're thinking Someones judging them.I'm one of those people stare because I love seeing babies feeding... I'm not perving or judging, I just like to see babies feeding!

I never had any negative comments but I didn't do it that often in the short time I breast fed.

I always wonder when bf ladies say that people stare,they're thinking Someones judging them.I'm one of those people stare because I love seeing babies feeding... I'm not perving or judging, I just like to see babies feeding!

I never had any negative comments but I didn't do it that often in the short time I breast fed.

I find myself staring sometimes too. I stop myself when I realise but a baby breastfeeding is just so adorable to see!

I feed anywhere I myself would eat.

Babies have the same rights as us and its really easy not to be offended by breastfeeding....don't look.

I'm happy to show as much boob as I need to feed comfortable but as little nipple as possible.

There was a lady at the family centre who fed her baby finished put her baby down and then put the boob away. To me that was a bit unnecessary but it didn't offend me. It's just a boob.

There was a bit of an outcry here in the news recently, where a mother was at the pool with her children, and bfed her baby at the poolside. She was asked to leave. Then a Morning TV host came out and said that women need to be 'classy and respectful' when bfing in public which obviously caused a bit of upset amoungst mothers.
My view, is that society has completely lost touch with the purpose of a womans breasts. By saying you need to be respectful implies that there is something disrespectful. And I hate that there are apparently 'rules' for how you should feed your child if you are in public, like using a cover (which to me make it way more obvious you are bfing), turning your chair so you aren't facing people etc.
Feed your child how you see fit, it isn't really anyone elses business. I did put a muslin over Alexia when she was a newborn, but that is because I felt more comfortable, certainly not about the possibility offending complete strangers by daring to feed my hungry child. I have only had one negative reaction, most people don't realise, or just smile in an awww way if they do :flower:

I have no problem with nip at all, covers of not. I always used a cover in public but I am a very shy person. I do think sometimes (rarely) people choose locations to nip when there is an option to bf in a more comfortable location for them. If you wouldn't bottle feed there, don't bf there if that makes sense.

I find it unnecessary to flash your boob all around. I bf and have been for 7 months. It's easy to be discrete and I think people should be respectful of others because its just common courtesy. Personally I love to see people bf but I don't want to see their boob.

And yes I say respectful because I wouldn't appreciate any other woman flashing a boob in my face. It isn't necessary to show your boob when you nip.

I would not have a problem with bf in public and like pps love to see other mamas feeding their babies. I very much doubt if I was feeding my baby anyone would even notice, unless it's one of those times baby tilts their head back from the boob to take a big breath and leaves nipple exposed with milk spraying everywhere lol for someone who doesn't like seeing public bf that would be shocking I can imagine haha!!!

There was a bit of an outcry here in the news recently, where a mother was at the pool with her children, and bfed her baby at the poolside. She was asked to leave. Then a Morning TV host came out and said that women need to be 'classy and respectful' when bfing in public which obviously caused a bit of upset amoungst mothers.
My view, is that society has completely lost touch with the purpose of a womans breasts. By saying you need to be respectful implies that there is something disrespectful. And I hate that there are apparently 'rules' for how you should feed your child if you are in public, like using a cover (which to me make it way more obvious you are bfing), turning your chair so you aren't facing people etc.
Feed your child how you see fit, it isn't really anyone elses business. I did put a muslin over Alexia when she was a newborn, but that is because I felt more comfortable, certainly not about the possibility offending complete strangers by daring to feed my hungry child. I have only had one negative reaction, most people don't realise, or just smile in an awww way if they do :flower:

Excellent post!

I find it unnecessary to flash your boob all around. I bf and have been for 7 months. It's easy to be discrete and I think people should be respectful of others because its just common courtesy. Personally I love to see people bf but I don't want to see their boob.

And yes I say respectful because I wouldn't appreciate any other woman flashing a boob in my face. It isn't necessary to show your boob when you nip.

See, I think it's common courtesy not to stare at other people's breasts when they are just trying to feed their baby...

If you don't want to see a boob, don't look. They are just boobs.

I feel so sad that breasts have been sexualised so much by our culture and breastfeeding rates are so low that people can't differentiate betweent he dual purposes of breasts. Many of us use our mouths for sexual acts, obviously we don't really want to see them when they are doing that (!) and yet no one suggests we cover out mouths when we speak in order to show courtesy to others.... what's the difference between breasts and mouths?

I mean seriously you don't see a difference in breasts and mouths? For one we don't walk around topless all day. I am a nursing mother and don't wanna see someone's boobs. I can only imagine how uncomfortable it might make say your teenage son, or some other teenager, some random man walking by, a pastor. Fact of the matter is breast are sexual. Maybe some people don't like that they are but I am proud that they are. My husband can't wait to have them back. Too bad he has gone and knocked me up before I even stopped BFing. You can't change the fact that over time breasts have become sexual to most everyone. IMO people should be mindful of this and not just whip out their boobs. I just don't understand why people think this is so wrong. Its so easy to nurse discretely. i hate she. People say, don't like it, don't look because that's just a poor attitude if you ask me. What if everyone had this attitude about things. The world would be a miserable place. I just think you should be mindful and courteous to those around you. Same as I wouldnt let my baby scream in a public place. It's natural, it's just a baby but it isn't polite. I mean imagine if I said, don't like it, don't listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->