Breast feeding in public? Your views?

I like seeing other Mum's nip. The be discreet comments are exactly why I never nip with KB, and exactly what makes me anxious about BF any future babies. Me, BF and discreet are just not words you will ever find in a sentence together :haha: I cant do it discreetly, I dunno why.

I mean seriously you don't see a difference in breasts and mouths? For one we don't walk around topless all day. I am a nursing mother and don't wanna see someone's boobs. I can only imagine how uncomfortable it might make say your teenage son, or some other teenager, some random man walking by, a pastor. Fact of the matter is breast are sexual. Maybe some people don't like that they are but I am proud that they are. My husband can't wait to have them back. Too bad he has gone and knocked me up before I even stopped BFing. You can't change the fact that over time breasts have become sexual to most everyone. IMO people should be mindful of this and not just whip out their boobs. I just don't understand why people think this is so wrong. Its so easy to nurse discretely. i hate she. People say, don't like it, don't look because that's just a poor attitude if you ask me. What if everyone had this attitude about things. The world would be a miserable place. I just think you should be mindful and courteous to those around you. Same as I wouldnt let my baby scream in a public place. It's natural, it's just a baby but it isn't polite. I mean imagine if I said, don't like it, don't listen.

Because it is easy for you, doesnt mean it is easy for everyone. We are all individuals and our babies are too. It is horrid having to hide away in a car as if what you are doing is some dirty secret purely because you know others will say you're flashing your breasts about, making a show of yourself or arent being discrete because try as you may you cant be.

I mean seriously you don't see a difference in breasts and mouths? For one we don't walk around topless all day. I am a nursing mother and don't wanna see someone's boobs. I can only imagine how uncomfortable it might make say your teenage son, or some other teenager, some random man walking by, a pastor. Fact of the matter is breast are sexual. Maybe some people don't like that they are but I am proud that they are. My husband can't wait to have them back. Too bad he has gone and knocked me up before I even stopped BFing. You can't change the fact that over time breasts have become sexual to most everyone. IMO people should be mindful of this and not just whip out their boobs. I just don't understand why people think this is so wrong. Its so easy to nurse discretely. i hate she. People say, don't like it, don't look because that's just a poor attitude if you ask me. What if everyone had this attitude about things. The world would be a miserable place. I just think you should be mindful and courteous to those around you. Same as I wouldnt let my baby scream in a public place. It's natural, it's just a baby but it isn't polite. I mean imagine if I said, don't like it, don't listen.

Breastfeeding in public can be extremely difficult for some women. I have seen some poor women look like they are breaking their back getting in some very uncomfortable positions just so they are discreet, and the poor baby has a hard time latching on. It isn’t fair for a breastfeeding woman to feel humiliated and shamed because of these moralistic rules. We are told that breastfeeding is best, BUT you need to do x y and z because there is a possibility you might offend someone. I think that is a pretty poor attitude.
I know I am generalising, but I highly doubt that women trying to be exhibitionists if they happen to flash someone while feeding their baby. Like I said, I am discreet about bfing, but that is because I feel more comfortable that way. I think women should be able to bf in whatever way works for them and their baby and not be judged for it.

Being told to do it discreetly implies there is something to be ashamed of.

A rare occasion that I agree with Dragonfly!

Some women just can't do it discretely, often because some babies don't stay latched on for the whole time (Maria would latch on and off a lot as she was a fussy feeder) but nobody should feel bad if they accidently flashed people. I don't care if someone pulls out their whole boob to feed with (and I have seen that, at a baby group) all I care is that the baby is being fed/comforted/getting what they need when they need it. I wouldn't care if women walked around topless either to be honest, its just boobs, if people did walk around topless everyone would soon get used to them.

I've never heard, or seen anything negative about breastfeeding.

Where I live, all of our cafes in our local villages advertise breastfeeding is welcome, and it's just the norm.

It's unfortunate prudes are making mothers uncomfortable with it. I for one, can't wait to try and breastfeed my first baby - my boobs are for feeding.

If someone has a problem with it, they can go eat the dinner in the toilet as I for one wont be moving, or changing what I am doing.

In our culture we don't walk around topless all day, in other cultures where breasts are no big deal and seen as something to feed babis with, women do walk around topless all day. Breasts are only sexual in our culture, not worldwide, I don't think that means 'most everyone' views them as sexual.

Of course, I'm not suggesting we change our culture completely and women begin walking around with their breasts out, but perhaps we should remember what breasts are ultimately for and that theonly reason they are attractive to men is because they are meant to feed babies and realise that using our breasts to feed a baby is nothing to be embarrassed about or ashamed of, it is normal and not something that needs to be hidden.

As for teenage boys... I know, shock horror, they might see breasts feeding a baby.... :wacko: I have a 16 year old and 12 year old son and a 15 year old step son. All of them have seen me breastfeed my baby and not one of them has gotten embarrassed about it. In fact, my 16 year old was shocked that there was any other way to feed a baby. (he obviously can't remember me FF his younger brothers)

I have a very large and unsightly burn scar on my leg. Some people find it repulsive to look at, they don't want to see it. Should I keep it covered at all times so as not to offend or upset anyone? Or is it acceptable to say 'don't like it, don't look' in the case of disfigurement, just not breasts?

Exactly! :thumbup:

As for the bit in bold, your husband has missed a trick, because breasts are dual purpose, they can feed a baby and be sexual too. My husband loves my breasts, I would go so far as to say he is a bit obsessed with them and he has enjoyed them fully in the 19 months I have been breastfeeding my daughter. Just not while I am actually feeding my daughter obviously, because he can seperate the two purposes and he doesn't find them sexual during breastfeeding.

That said, he doesn't 'get them back', they're mine....

As for the bit in bold, your husband has missed a trick, because breasts are dual purpose, they can feed a baby and be sexual too. My husband loves my breasts, I would go so far as to say he is a bit obsessed with them and he has enjoyed them fully in the 19 months I have been breastfeeding my daughter. Just not while I am actually feeding my daughter obviously, because he can seperate the two purposes and he doesn't find them sexual during breastfeeding.

This made me giggle.

I would never think someone is being disrespectful for feeding their baby.

I am planning to BF this baby, my own mum said to me why would you its "unnatural" I am sorry but isn't it what boobs are for?

She said she won't want me doing it in the same room as her, I said to her if the baby needs feeding she will be either putting up with it or leaving the room herself.

She also said she wont be going out with us if I plan to feed in public, I said she will miss out then.

She said the same when I said I wanted to BF DS! Unforutinaly that didn't work out and she seemed almost pleased.

ETA - I also think its sad that people have come to think of boobs as a sexual object and they can't be used for anything else!

This made me giggle.

I would never think someone is being disrespectful for feeding their baby.

I am planning to BF this baby, my own mum said to me why would you its "unnatural" I am sorry but isn't it what boobs are for?

She said she won't want me doing it in the same room as her, I said to her if the baby needs feeding she will be either putting up with it or leaving the room herself.

She also said she wont be going out with us if I plan to feed in public, I said she will miss out then.

She said the same when I said I wanted to BF DS! Unforutinaly that didn't work out and she seemed almost pleased.

ETA - I also think its sad that people have come to think of boobs as a sexual object and they can't be used for anything else!

I hope it works out for you this time.

I would love to know how breastfeeding can be unnatural! Some people have odd ideas.

I also agree with the dual purpose breast remark, I can't see my OH waiting a year to get access to my breasts again!

This is the only comment I feel the need to quote because I'm obviously not Ashamed of BFing. I'm so proud I have done it for al long and guess what I've never made anyone uncomfortable. Im 11 weeks pregnant btw and still bfing because bfing is very important to me. I guess I'm just a considerate person. I. Dont think flashing your boobs around makes BFing normal to people, it puts them off. not everyone understands BFing. we live in a world with a lot of different people. Imo those people seeing someone feeding their child in a way with no regard to anyone else, just makes it look bad. I mean serioisly if you want to normalize somethjng you dont go anout it in a way that offends a bunch of people. maybe one day if lots of people nip without making a huge spectacle of themselves, it will be completely jormal and then it wont matter if you flash a boob. fact is it does offend people and it has done more harm than good. Much like nurse ins, I think they bring negative attention to BFing. It's treating BFing like it is some radical thing. but thats just my opinion and i dont expect ANY of you to listen tk it or respect it. I obviously was speaking in terms of our own countries, the comment about countries where they walk around topless has confused me.

My husband could care less if they are being used for another purpose it's me. The last thing I want at the end of the day is someone else pawing at my boobs. I am not an idiot I realize you can still use your boobs however you want.

There is nothing wrong with feeding your baby in the most natural way, anywhere, anytime.

I think I've come up with a scenario to explain what I mean. Ok I am obviously not comparing these two apples to apples because they are very different. But it's just a comparison to normalizing something not a comparison of how natural something is. So don't go twisting this everyone.

Take being gay for instance. There are areas of the world where being gay is no big deal. No one bats an eye at two men or two women making out. No big deal. However, there are areas of the world that people are treated badly or looked down upon for being gay. IMO wrongly so. So what do you think would be more effective? Having a gay pride parade there and having gay men go out and make out with each other everywhere or have gay men and women go about it like it is normal and be with each other in public and hold hands and maybe kiss each other on the check and things. Now I'm not saying that will even be received greatly because some people will still have a problem with whatever you do but it makes something more normal to me because you aren't shocking people.

Similar to how feeding a baby discretely, you don't even have to use a cover to be discrete, would make something more accepted and normal to me than people flashing their boobs everywhere.

Now let me see how long it takes this to be completely misinterpreted.

DK1234 some people cant be discrete. Like I said I really tried and I just couldnt.

Do you know if someone said BF is easy, well it was for me so it must be for everyone else, some people would get annoyed at it cos its not true for them at all. Same goes here (except I am not annoyed just trying to explain), nursing discretely was easy for you doesnt mean it is for everyone. You know all BF journeys are different, so how is it this is one part that is assumed everyone can do?

I gues a because I don't understand. If your baby doesn't like to be covered you could always put a blanket beside them to block people's view. Or go to a more secluded area or turn your body. I have no problem with nursing in public I a finally love to see it. And honestly I'm not talking about the odd nip slip because chances are no one will see that. I'm talking a out people with no discretion.

No problem with it at all. Some of my friends have made the odd comment, but I just put it down to them not being parents and not fully knowing better yet. The 2 situations described by Smokey are maybe exceptions, but I guess really that's down to the individual not the act, they would probably be idiots regardless!

I agree with Dk1234, in the sense that the mass feed-ins etc. are a bit ott, they make bf seem unfriendly and radical instead of just normal.

I don't care whether people cover up or not, yes due to today's society some people are bound to feel embarrassed, but going through that and pushing passed the embarrassment is the only way to challenge that view. I also don't really see a big deal with nudity in general though, I don't like being naked haha but if someone wants to be then why not? It's all just natural, we all have boobs, bums etc what is the big deal?

We ff although not through choice and I was actually embarrassed to do this in public, used to hide away to bottle feed...so I guess both points of feeding have similar issues...I wish there was less emphasis on how anyone feeds and where and we could all just get on with it without stressing or worrying what people are thinking. We see nipples anywhere they are selling magazines...so why do we care if we see one while someone is feeding? it's ridiculous.

I think I get what DK means. She doesn't mean being discrete as in hiding in a car to feed, she just means that perhaps it shouldn't be flaunted... Like you WANT people to see your boob. There is a difference between sitting and feeding your baby with no cover and putting your boob away when done, and feeding your baby then diddling around putting your baby in a stroller, playing with him and ten minutes later putting your boob away. If you forget that is different lol, but there are some women who seem to want to draw attention to the fact that they are breast feeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->