Breast feeding in public? Your views?

:rofl: I'm not stopping BFing until I can afford to have another baby.

:haha:

I'm definitely not stopping so soon next time. Wish I could just boob Maria back to sleep now, she's refusing to sleep argh

I dont see why it doesnt have a place, the debate was about public breast feeding after all wasnt it and she was breastfeeding in public wasnt she?
She may well have been, and she might have had a burger and chips and she might have drank coffee. All those things are about as relevant to the fact she flashed a teenager deliberately. What she did, didn't really have anything to do with breastfeeding in public, it had to do with shocking a teenager.

I dont see why it doesnt have a place, the debate was about public breast feeding after all wasnt it and she was breastfeeding in public wasnt she?
She may well have been, and she might have had a burger and chips and she might have drank coffee. All those things are about as relevant to the fact she flashed a teenager deliberately. What she did, didn't really have anything to do with breastfeeding in public, it had to do with shocking a teenager.

Sorry still dont understand your reasoning.
She was still breastfeeding her baby and chose to flash for effect while doing it.
Yeah she was a idiot and a minority but how does that suddenly become irrelevant?

Sorry still dont understand your reasoning.
She was still breastfeeding her baby and chose to flash for effect while doing it.
Yeah she was a idiot and a minority but how does that suddenly become irrelevant?

She was a very extreme example of how women NIP behave and it's wrong to suggest anyone should adjust their behaviour on the basis of hers. It's like judging the behaviour of all Muslims on the actions of fundamentalists. It's wrong to suggest that Muslim women should never wear their veil or should wear one that makes everyone else more comfortable, because some fundamentalists have used it to shield them carrying out terrorist attacks,

Idiots are everywhere and to include them in an example of why the majority of people should adjust their behaviour, doesn't really make any sense.

As I asked in another post, some people find it really offensive to see babies spitting up after they eat. If a FF woman sits at a table and lets her baby spit up right next to, or on, someone else, would the suggestion be that everyone who FF their baby should go somewhere else and do it, or hide away, or do it under a cover? No, it would be accepted that most women wouldn't do that, its an extreme example and if anyone has a problem seeing a baby spit up, they can look away.

But what your failing to realise is not once through out this discussion have I mentioned anywhere that women need to adjust any behavour or critisised anyone breast feeding based on her behavour.
My original comment mentioned someone making a show of themselves and I was asked to elaborate what I ment by that so I did.
At no point did I say anyone had to cover up or do anything differant I never even said this woman should do anything about what she did.
There was no judgment at all in anything iv said, it was just a story of a one off woman that someone asked me to explain.
If you can find anywhere I have even hinted that others should be attached to her behavour or should be judged based on her actions then I will gladly appologise but the bottom line is it was just a story about a random person breastfeeding that has been read the wrong way.
Truth is this has happened more then once but thats why I made a joke about it must be me.
To hold breastfeeders to account for her actions is your assumption of my post when I never said or implyed that, to me thats like blaiming all drivers because one idiot was drunk and caused a accident.

I would love to see more people nip.I always felt like the odd one out whenever I did it.
I think more people should bf in public as the more people see it the more it will become accepted as the norm.

Ps,I have seen women hanging their boobs out all over the place while they talk or whatever with no baby attached,and I see no need for it other than to cause an argument if somebody complains.

I more regularly see women hanging their boobs out like this
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/18/article-0-0ED8B4C300000578-806_468x950.jpg

than while feeding their child.

That's great no one said everyone who nip is inappropriate. But some are and that's what is being discussed. Plenty of people have defended a
Woman's right to flash her boob around as much as she likes no matter who is around in this thread.

But what your failing to realise is not once through out this discussion have I mentioned anywhere that women need to adjust any behavour or critisised anyone breast feeding based on her behavour.
My original comment mentioned someone making a show of themselves and I was asked to elaborate what I ment by that so I did.
At no point did I say anyone had to cover up or do anything differant I never even said this woman should do anything about what she did.
There was no judgment at all in anything iv said, it was just a story of a one off woman that someone asked me to explain.
If you can find anywhere I have even hinted that others should be attached to her behavour or should be judged based on her actions then I will gladly appologise but the bottom line is it was just a story about a random person breastfeeding that has been read the wrong way.
Truth is this has happened more then once but thats why I made a joke about it must be me.
To hold breastfeeders to account for her actions is your assumption of my post when I never said or implyed that, to me thats like blaiming all drivers because one idiot was drunk and caused a accident.
I never said, you said those things, but others have used this example of why all women should be more discrete. Sure it's an example of how a very small minority can behave and I agree those women shouldn't be such idiots. But to extrapolate that in this debate to "all women should be discrete" doesn't make sense and that's what others have done.

I never said, you said those things, but others have used this example of why all women should be more discrete. Sure it's an example of how a very small minority can behave and I agree those women shouldn't be such idiots. But to extrapolate that in this debate to "all women should be discrete" doesn't make sense and that's what others have done.

But if that's the example of what not being discrete is than what's the issue? Intentionally showing your whole breast with no attempt to cover up. That's pretty much the only thing anyone has said and everyone has argued against this

Does anyone else get fed up of this debate?
I say debate but its not because, no single woman, on here, will say BF is unacceptable in public.
Its not, of course its not.
We all know its a battle to normalise it, especially in younger generations.
It seems ridiculous, fighting over it when essentially, everyones opinion is the same.

But thats not my fault is it, if others choose to use my story for their own means and agenda how can I be held for that.
You have stated my story was irrelevant because others chose to mention it as a reason to cover up, how is that fair on me to say my contribution had nothing to do with breast feeding? Isnt that holding me accountable for others actions, the same thing your stating my story was twisted into doing?

I very much doubt every single person on this forum things NIP is OK tbh

Probably not but I hope at least most of them do. Mothers should support each other :(

But if that's the example of what not being discrete is than what's the issue? Intentionally showing your whole breast with no attempt to cover up. That's pretty much the only thing anyone has said and everyone has argued against this
I don't think it is an example of not being discrete. It's an example of being an idiot. What people are saying is, it is quite possible to bare more than you and others might think is acceptable, that "discrete" is a personal judgement. By constantly using this woman as an example of what not to do, the women who might have done it, just in the process of feeding are being made to feel they shouldn't go out and NIP because they are judged by others if it happens.

But thats not my fault is it, if others choose to use my story for their own means and agenda how can I be held for that.
You have stated my story was irrelevant because others chose to mention it as a reason to cover up, how is that fair on me to say my contribution had nothing to do with breast feeding? Isnt that holding me accountable for others actions, the same thing your stating my story was twisted into doing?
Jeez, oh!

Who said it was your fault? I'm not holding you accountable for anything. You can bring anything you want into the conversation, I'm really not that bothered. In terms of widening the debate it was a useful story to hear.

It's the fact that 70 pages on, it is the one example people are using again and again to back up their stance on why all women should be discrete and spend a lot of time considering others around them. To add so much weight to that one story skews original debate. In that way I'd consider it irrelevant.

It is a good example of how a very small number of people behave and is also a good example of the argument many people (not necessarily on here) give for women not NIP at all. And I'd agree that the actions she apparently took are not at all helping the cause of breastfeeding.

Basically what I was trying to say was, can we stop banging on about this bloody woman and her boob, she's clearly a loon.

I more regularly see women hanging their boobs out like this
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/18/article-0-0ED8B4C300000578-806_468x950.jpg

than while feeding their child.
I was talking whole boob and nipple.And not while feeding but afterwards,choosing to leave it hanging out while they chat to their mates hahaha

Wahey! Totally late to the debate but I am sure I can stir up some complaints!

I don't know how to link the image in this link but it is worth a look!

https://bluemilk.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/a-word-about-breastfeeding-nazis/

That picture says it all about how acceptable I think NIP should be. I personally never bother with a cover, and I have nursed everywhere from restaurants to art galleries. If someone gets a glance of nipple when baby latches on or off, so be it. If someone has to explain to their kid what is going on, so be it. That said, NIP is very accepted where I live and I have never had anyone comment nor even a dark look.

I agree with the writer of that piece that any attempt to restrict or shame or hide breastfeeding is an attempt to de-normalise it and restrict mothers from full participation in society.

Being able to just pop a baby on the breast when out and about without embarrassment makes a massive difference to how easy my life is as a mother. No faffing with bottles or wrestling with covers and a sweaty, annoyed baby, no retreating from the public sphere to a bathroom so that (God forbid) nobody might be offended by the sight of me doing something that mothers have done for literally millions of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->