Breast feeding in public? Your views?

I think the issues are getting confused.

I'm 100% for breastfeeding wherever you are, whenever your baby wants to eat. I don't think twice about feeding my baby and I don't take other peoples feelings into consideration.

I don't think that to feed your baby in public you have to make a show though. Just get on with it haha.

I dunno, maybe a little song and dance routine will make people like it more...

When Oliver was tiny I was feeding him in a restaurant and a little girl said, Mummy what is that baby doing? Her mum genuinely looked horrified when she realised lol and said "he's just sleeping stop looking" I'm not sure if she was worried because I wouldn't want her looking or because she didn't want her daughter looking. He was covered though. I found it quite strange tbh

It seems most of it comes down to people taking offence at seeing a breast in public. I think the eminent Stephen Fry sums it up perfectly.

‘It’s now very common to hear people say, “I’m rather offended by that”, as if that gives them certain rights. It’s no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. “I’m offended by that.” Well, so f%&king what?’

I think a lot of people just don't know how they are supposed to react, should they look? should they avoid looking? and I think thats because its just not seen enough.

my friend shared this on facebook the other day, i thought it was appropriate for this debate :)

Attachments

• 385364_474427749282579_1799729684_n.jpg
    385364_474427749282579_1799729684_n.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10
The problem with saying people should NIP discreetly is that for some members of the general public any NIP is not discreet enough. So whose idea of discreet do we go with? My mums colleague didn't like to see anyone NIP at all.

Also the ladies calling for discretion, have you ever seen a woman flopping her boob out with reckless abandon?

The comment about cavemwn is interesting because its a basic human male urge to be interested in breast and large hips because evolution has provided these instints to be interested in a potential mate.
Large hips means they can bare children easier and breast to feed the young.
So essentialy breasts are sexual first and have been since the begining so I dont see how that will ever changed as its ingrained in us for species survival.

Not sure I explained that very well though.

I just don't know how I would manage to nip with discretion, my baby is huge nearly 14 pounds but only 7 weeks old so he needs the support of a 7 week old. I have to get my boob out whilst holding him with one arm, then he has to latch on, that can be hard and he shakes his head and throws himself backwards shouting. my right boob (called in this hous nemasis boob) causes the most trouble and i have to pinch the nipple to get my baby to latch. Also my baby feeds better when he touches my bare skin with his hands.

I don't think that just because it causes a bit of a fuss i should not breastfeed my son or not go out because someone might be offended by seeing my nipple.

The comment about cavemwn is interesting because its a basic human male urge to be interested in breast and large hips because evolution has provided these instints to be interested in a potential mate.
So essentialy breasts are sexual first and have been since the begining so I dont see how that will ever changed as its ingrained in us for species survival.

I get what you mean, but which came first? It's a bit like the chicken or the egg question.

x

But its your opinion that being discrete will change things, that doesnt make it true. Just as the opinion that not being discrete will change things might not be right. We dont know.

What we do know though is that forcing the issue has worked for other things in the past (such as gay pride, women being able to vote, women and trousers etc). Have you any examples of where being discrete/following social norm's have changed things?

But that's not true. Those issues did change overnight when people started doing shocking behavior. Take gay pride for instance, it's a process. Once upon a time men denied being gay, then they became a little more public about it, then you started seeing more of it, then it started being more accepted. Same with civil rights. It took a hundred years from the time slaves were freed until radical displays started taking place. There is a time and place for being radical it isn't right out if the gate because then you just look radical, but those issues aren't the same as nip with no discretion. People genuinely hated black people, people genuinely hated gays. That's not the issue here

I get what you mean, but which came first? It's a bit like the chicken or the egg question.

x

Thats a easy one, the egg because it evolved into a chicken from a lizard but still always layed eggs before it evolved :)
Sorry ill shut up now :)

Thank you! That's all I'm saying the shock factor just doesn't do anything good for nip!
And as has been said numerous times, that there is a massive difference between someone purposely showing someone their breast and someone's breast being able to be seen whilst they are in the process of feeding. And these instances are rare and often the stuff of urban legend rather than actual representation. The problem is, your insistence that "accidental" flashing is somehow OK, as long as you are trying hard not to and "intentional" flashing is totally wrong makes absolutely no sense as the observer cannot possibly differentiate between the two. Given the latter sort of flashing will apparently only harm the cause of normalising breastfeeding, it is fair to assume the "accidental" type will do the same and therefore its probably better just to feed totally in private. That is basically what your argument extrapolates to.

I don't think choosing not to show your whole breast is secretive. If you wanna see my boob that bad then that isn't you being offended that's you being odd.
So it all comes down to whether or not you think I should or would actually be offended? And if the things that offend me don't fit in with what you think is offensive, then I would be odd and there is no reason for you to accommodate them?

So when you set out "not to offend anyone" you are doing so based on your own set of values. I think you'll find this is pretty much human nature and what the majority of people do. This is exactly what I, and others choose to do also. It doesn't make us selfish or self centred, it makes us human. You absolutely cannot avoid offending everyone. There will be people out there who don't want to be anywhere near your children when they are eating. Who find children in restaurants abhorrent, especially when they are eating. Let's face it, it can be rather unpleasant to watch a weaning baby gum a potato wedge. Then they puke. Not the sort of thing a non parent wants to see. But I'm guessing you wouldn't avoid taking your baby or toddler to a restaurant. Life is about making the choice you feel comfortable with, and that is always grounded in your own code of conduct.

Can you not see how that would come off as kind of self centered or selfish to someone?
It comes off as self centred or selfish to you. It didn't seem to come off that way to others. It's all subjective. Either way, it's an offensive thing to say, but as I said, clearly your need not to offend people doesn't extend to those who disagree with your own moral code.

I was usually concentrating on ensuring the latch was ok, how to get comfortable without getting cramp, how to make sure my daughter was comfortable and watching for signs she needed winding or was ready to switch, being careful not to squirt her in the eye and sometimes just gazing at the beauty that is a breastfeeding child. In short, I was getting on with my own life, minding my own business. I wasn't going to worry about others who were ignoring their own companions/children/meals and were getting in my business and feeling offended. Someone has to be making the choice to look over in my direction, look again and look pretty hard, before they decide they are offended. Those sorts of people probably spend their entire life being offended by pretty much everything and I'm not about to waste my time working out which part of my life I need to adjust to accommodate them. As I said before, the majority of people I came across whilst NIP either didn't notice or didn't care. "Mr Angry from Bognor" isn't worth getting upset about. I don't think it is selfish not to want to spend my entire life being sure I upset nobody, which would be an impossible task.

Alright ladies I think I'm just beating a dead horse here I really have nothing left to say. Whew it's hard to respond to all these comments aimed at me. Foo I have really tried not to be offensive in this conversation. Sorry if I haven't succeeded. I have been called names and have really tried to keep my cool so I'm sorry if you have been offended. We all have the same goal I think. We want BFing to be normal and sadly right now it isn't. The only thing I ever hear about BFing is negative. I'd just like that to change and I'm sure you guys would to. Lets just part ways on this one.

Breastfeeding will never be completely normalised for as long as breasts are seen as sexual and bordering on obscene before being seen for their intended purpose.

Breastfeeding will never be completely normalised for as long as breasts are seen as sexual and bordering on obscene before being seen for their intended purpose.

Well wouldn't you know I'd find something else to say ha ha ha. I am the first woman in my whole family to bf. even my mom, a dr found it a bit odd that I was going to. I've never shown any of them my breasts but I've nursed in front of all of them discretely and I assure they knew I was nursing and they are all so comfortable about it now. It started with awkward jokes to ease the mood, I was likened to a cow a few times ha ha but they have really come around and are so supportive. My older brother happily sits and has a conversation with me while I nurse while at the hospital he ran to the other end of the floor. I think BFing has become completely normal to them and they have never seen my breasts (aside from my mo who is my biggest champion now) and guarantee they all still see breasts as sexual.

Well wouldn't you know I'd find something else to say ha ha ha. I am the first woman in my whole family to bf. even my mom, a dr found it a bit odd that I was going to. I've never shown any of them my breasts but I've nursed in front of all of them discretely and I assure they knew I was nursing and they are all so comfortable about it now. It started with awkward jokes to ease the mood, I was likened to a cow a few times ha ha but they have really come around and are so supportive. My older brother happily sits and has a conversation with me while I nurse while at the hospital he ran to the other end of the floor. I think BFing has become completely normal to them and they have never seen my breasts (aside from my mo who is my biggest champion now) and guarantee they all still see breasts as sexual.

I'm really glad that your example normalised it for them :)

I hadn't felt the need to reply back to the poster that "doubts" I'm happy with my decision until now...

I think that is a pretty "insightful" assumption given the fact that you never met me nor do you know my story. I am DAMN proud for having breastfeed both of mine for six weeks. That might not be such a milestone to you all but given the fact that I had severe depression and a feeling of imprisonment with my daughter (again I am sure I will be judged and questioned but whatever) and plus being readmitted to the hospital AFTER my daughter was born due to pre eclampsia, I am surprised that I held out that long. With me my guilt was in breastfeeding. I was a totally different person when I put my daughter on formula. Sometimes it HAS to be about the mom.

I also can't imagine trying to find time to pump every 2/3 hours at my job when some days I barely have ten minutes for lunch. So thank you very much I am very happy.

I am very pro bf'ing and pro nip BUT I'm not naive enough to think that every one must do it or that it is able to be done by everyone. I'd get up from dinner tables and leave my son (yes my guilt was in neglecting my son again...those that have successfully done it, I certainly don't expect you to understand it.) with his dad to go nurse my daughter. I am far too modest to do it in front of everyone and I am one of those "strange" people that think it is something so special that only my daughter and I should witness. Again, that is just me.

Kudos to those that can.

overcomer i again feel the same way! i really believe it is a special bonding time betwren baby any me. i really do t want to share that with strangers:)

nip will never become normalized if you shove it down people throats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->