breast feeding technique?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by MissPolley, Sep 30, 2008.

1. MissPolley

MissPolley Mum of one

im qurious, alot of people are saying that women are not informed on how to breast feed and that a baby might bot be latched on properly, is there a technique to feeding a baby then???

2. Samantha675

Samantha675 Maybe baby #3?!?

Yes. The nipple has to be positioned deep enough in the baby's mouth but not too deeply. The latch is the key to the whole thing! If it hurts, then something is not quite right. That is the thing to remember. If you the latch is totally correct then you won't ever have soreness. I got the latch wrong once at the beginning of my BFing days, and had a touch of soreness. Aside from that one time, I have never had any soreness or cracking caused by BFing.

Here is a great resource for latching:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/latch-resources.html

3. 1st_baby

1st_baby Guest

Intresting link :) Although what happens if your baby is tongue tied like mine , what do you do in that case ? since my Hospital will not operate on babies with tongue tie anymore

4. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

Depending on the severity of the tongue tie a baby can still breast feed, but it can be hard work. If you want to BF and your hospital says they won't help I'd go somewhere else and get the help you need.

5. MissPolley

MissPolley Mum of one

thanks thats very informative, :D