Breast Feeding

Ah, see my house (cos its so old) is freezing in the summer! Its fab......people wonder why I'd rather stay in in the summer but its because its so cool....even without windows open!!

Whats quite funny is I'll get up in the Summer and get dressed not thinking its actually hot outside & go out to the shops with long pants & jumper on then end up nearly fainting wondering around town!:dohh:

xx

I make up 5 bottles with milk added and chuck in fridge for the day then take one at a time out and heat it up
My baby liked warm milk love her
bex

I don't agree with the making up of the milk and you should dispose of the un used in a bottled if not used in the hour.
It has been proven to cause stomach upset and listeria/bacteria can be found in the bottle/milk.

Im not doin it the "etheical" way but my bottled are sterilised have COLD steralised water poored in then and then put back in the fridge until feeding time, then add the powder.

Reccommending for the actual milk to be made up is not the right thing to do, make up the bottles as you need them, you can buy tubs to put in your changing bag that hold the right amount of milk scoops needed for feeds.

tommy tippe have them for there bottles and this is what i use.

xxx
Bethanie has never had an upset stomach and thats the way we've always done it. Plus I know a lot of people that have also done that and had absolutely no problem. We use ready made now though so I prefer it that way to be honest.

After feeding Bethanie we discard any left over milk (you should do they say if it's left for an hour).

sorry if im not clear, i make 6 bottles up from steriliser with boiled water from kettle.

kept on the side and milk only added when becky wants a feed, i keep my water no longer than 12 hours (ish) x

I take my bottles out an our before a feed isw due to make sure it is room temp ....

but to keep the water as sterile as poss i keep it in the fridge .... to warm a day and the water is warm if the room is hot = discusting gloopy milk that solidifies quick!! GROSS!!

xxx
Not judging your method, even though we don't agree on how to prepare the bots etc.. but I just read a Department of health information sheet that says if you don't add the powder to water 70 degrees or over, the bacteria in the milk isn't killed. Do you add it to room temp water then?? or do you heat the water first?

Room temp.

If thats the case then ALL hospitals are wrong as the ready made milk is all prepared and given to you out of a draw .... at room temp.

ALL fact sheets tell you not to pre-make milk now or leave it but make bottles as you go along.

xxx

I was told with emily to make the bottles up completely then fridge them for the days use

It has all changed now though and you should add the milk only when the bottle is needed
Eg take bottle of water out with you in changing bag etc.. then add milk. that way it is at air/room temp. I assume that is why they sell the dispenser which they didn't do when i had Em.

I bloomin hope there isn't bacteria in milk to be killed as it is meant to be packaged in a sterile enviroment.

Lil-BaBY_Boo, just go with your gut feeling as everyone does things differantly and you will get advice flung from every which way, as far as HV's and MW's are concerned take what they say with a pinch of salt about breast/bottle etc...

Charlie has C & G Comfort, and that can't be made with room temperature water or it doesn't mix.:hissy:

So, my friend (who's a qualified nurse and currently temping as a school nurse and hv in the holidays) suggested the following which I have stuck to:

Wash and sterilise the bottles and boil the kettle. Leave to cool for 30 mins. Put 6 oz water in each bottle and leave on worktop to cool. Then, when you need a bottle, reboil kettle. Make up to 8oz with boiling water and add powder. Perfect temperature and freshly made.

Oh, and if you have put boiling water into a sterilised bottle and sealed it, then strictly speaking it can be left at room temperature for months without any fear of it breeding any bacteria!

Room temp.

If thats the case then ALL hospitals are wrong as the ready made milk is all prepared and given to you out of a draw .... at room temp.

ALL fact sheets tell you not to pre-make milk now or leave it but make bottles as you go along.

xxx
Ready made is sterile I think.

Heres what I read: https://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandg...etopics/Maternalandinfantnutrition/DH_4123674

Went to Anti Natal class yesterday was quite looking forward to it as we were going to be discussing feeding & baby care (bathing/cleaning etc).

OH has been coming with me everyweek but I thought it was really important that he came yesterday as the one thing he is worried about is the feeding & changing!

So we get there yesterday at 1.30 and one of the other PG ladies is stood in the waiting room and she said to me 'phew, I'm glad you've turned up as there is nobody else here yet!'

We're sat there and a few other people turn up (not expecting everyone as a lot of people were due!).......Still no midwife!!

15 mins later a midwife we didn't know (we're ment to have the same one ev week) & student turns up and apoligies for being late and say that she'll be taking the class! Fair enough!!

We get in to the room and she askes us what she should be talking about?? So we tell her feeding & baby care?! (who's teaching who!)
She then pulls a few things out of her bag.....doll, terry nappy a tin of mustard (for the poo talk)!

The first thing she say's is 'who's going to breastfeed then?' and went around the circle to ask....I'm the only one that says I'm going to bottle feed!
So off she goes talking about the best ways to breast feed.....sore nipples etc, then asks us to split in to 2 groups to discuss the pro's & DIFFICULTIES (not con's) our difficulties list was bigger than the cons!

So after an hour of explaining breast feeding I thought great she's going to talk about Bottle feeding, how to make up feeds etc (I know how to do it but wanted Chris to be told by an expert!) she just looks at me and goes 'if your bottle feeding you do blah, blah, blah!' and that was it.....less than a minuite!

She then went on to talk about bathing & cleaning which ok was interesting but she just seemed to bluff the whole class and kept saying to the student 'is there anything else I've forgotten?'

At the end she was handing out leaflets on breast feeding and walked past me and just went 'oh, you don't want one!' Which made me feel like I was doing something wrong for not wanting to breast feed!

The thing is my own midwife has just given up on the Breast feeding talk with me, I had someone come to the house a few months ago to talk about it (or to try & make me change my mind & breast feed!) Then I had this midwife yesterday make me feel like a bad person because I'd rather bottle feed!

What would happen if I didn't have a clue about babies & feeding......what would I do then!? Its a bloody good job I do as I'm able to show Chis but we'd be F*cked if I knew nothing as midwifes will only talk about breast feeding!

I did consider Breast Feeding at first & read in to it so its not like I'm just saying NO!
I've been made to feel like a bad person because I'd prefer to Bottle feed!

Does this mean I'm going to get "attacked" in the Hospital when I ask for a bottle to feed my baby!?

Grrrr!

yes you probably will be judged in hospital once you have had your baby. I bottle feed all 3 of my children, With my first I developed a lump in my left breast and my Gyno wanted to check it out as soon as my milk went away. Second and third time around I found it easier, Hubby could help with feeding, and be involved and he totally enjoyed coming home and giving them their evening bottle.
When I asked for a bottle in hospital, I got the whole " Breast is best" routine, but told them " No I want to bottle feed". I found that they would leave me with my son crying for a bottle longer than they should have and when they did come with a bottle, I would get comments like " If you breast feed this little man wouldn't have to wait".
Well second time around, I packed my Avent electric sterilizer, Avent bottles and formula and I did it myself. Be darned if I was going to let me feel guilty for bottle feeding.

There is a saying... " Breast milk is ONLY as good as the mothers diet". So if a mother smokes and doesn't eat well, then the baby doesn't eat well either.

Good luck and don't feel bad, it your choice

There is a saying... " Breast milk is ONLY as good as the mothers diet". So if a mother smokes and doesn't eat well, then the baby doesn't eat well either.

Obviously if you are very malnourished then there can be an effecton your milk supply but generally the composition of your milk really does not vary much with your diet. It has been found that mthers in famine conditions can produce milk that is nutritionally perfect for their babies. However, one thing I found out was that like in pregnany, your body continues to put your baby first, and will put any nutrients baby's way first. Therefore your health may suffer if too many of your own reserves are used to provide milk, I struggled to eat for a while after the birth and felt llike poo but Seren did great.

As for smoking, I found this

According to the LLLI THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, if the mother smokes fewer than twenty cigarettes a day, the risks to her baby from the nicotine in her milk are small. When a breastfeeding mother smokes more than twenty to thirty cigarettes a day, the risks increase. Heavy smoking can reduce a mother's milk supply and on rare occasions has caused symptoms in the breastfeeding baby such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea. (Vorherr 1974). By keeping smoking to a minimum, a mother can decrease the risk. When a mother smokes a cigarette, the nicotine levels in her blood and milk first increase and then decrease over time. The half-life of nicotine (the amount of time it takes for half the nicotine to be eliminated from the body) is ninety-five minutes. For this reason, a mother should avoid smoking just before and certainly during a feeding.

Compared to a bottlefeeding mother who is smoking the same amount there are actually more benefts with breastfeeding then bottlefeeding as baby still gets all the goodness from the breastmilk, and both mothers will have the residual effects of the smoke on their clothing breath etc.

I did find I had some resistance in the hopital but that was because I really wanted to breastfeed and they (rightly) said that any formula could affect my milk. However they still provided the formula, and my midwives afterwards never said anything negative. There was another mum on the ward who was bottle feeding and she never got any issues with asking for a bottle. It is your choice and if you are 100% happy with your choice then no-one can make you feel bad Just remember why you made this choice and the reasons for it, thats what I always did when people questioned my choices.

Melies bottles are currently sitting in a row of 6 in the fridge all made up and ready to put into the bottle warmer,I have also switched her onto Hipp Organic milk and that is a git to mix up. Do what you think is best coz we all do it different.

I coudl be here all day ranting about the mums today who had there babies in town with no cardi/blankie and it was cold..........*shivers* Now that is bloody stupid.
Bex

Obviously if you are very malnourished then there can be an effecton your milk supply but generally the composition of your milk really does not vary much with your diet. It has been found that mthers in famine conditions can produce milk that is nutritionally perfect for their babies. However, one thing I found out was that like in pregnany, your body continues to put your baby first, and will put any nutrients baby's way first. Therefore your health may suffer if too many of your own reserves are used to provide milk, I struggled to eat for a while after the birth and felt llike poo but Seren did great.

As for smoking, I found this

Compared to a bottlefeeding mother who is smoking the same amount there are actually more benefts with breastfeeding then bottlefeeding as baby still gets all the goodness from the breastmilk, and both mothers will have the residual effects of the smoke on their clothing breath etc.

I did find I had some resistance in the hopital but that was because I really wanted to breastfeed and they (rightly) said that any formula could affect my milk. However they still provided the formula, and my midwives afterwards never said anything negative. There was another mum on the ward who was bottle feeding and she never got any issues with asking for a bottle. It is your choice and if you are 100% happy with your choice then no-one can make you feel bad Just remember why you made this choice and the reasons for it, thats what I always did when people questioned my choices.

I have a friend who ate junk food non stop, KFC ( fried chicken), Pizza, packets of crisps, chocolate, just rubbish really and her milk was so watery it had no texture and she ended up having to give her daughter a bottle. Second time around she ate really well ( reluctantly) and her milk was great.
So I guess it isn't the quantity, but the Quality that matters.

It's great that her milk was 'better' 2nd time round, but maybe she just wasn't confident with her breastfeeding ability first time? I know there was nothing wrong with my milk when I had my DD, but she fed a lot longer than DS.
I was eating rubbish for the first 4 months of DS's life, then went on Weight Watchers and I haven't noticed a difference in my milk.

It's great that her milk was 'better' 2nd time round, but maybe she just wasn't confident with her breastfeeding ability first time? I know there was nothing wrong with my milk when I had my DD, but she fed a lot longer than DS.
I was eating rubbish for the first 4 months of DS's life, then went on Weight Watchers and I haven't noticed a difference in my milk.

No she was VERY confident and enjoyed it. I guess EVERYBODIES body works differently.

What does DD and DS mean ??????????????????? everybody uses so many abbreviations on here, I don't understand what I am reading most of the time, LOL. It toook me ages to figure out what BFN and BFP meant. I am only new here.

Lingo https://www.babyandbump.com/showthread.php?t=730

No she was VERY confident and enjoyed it. I guess EVERYBODIES body works differently.
Woah, take a chill pill love. Sorry I offended you! It's just I'd never heard of anyone being unable to breastfeed because they ate too much kentucky :dohh:

Woah, take a chill pill love. Sorry I offended you! It's just I'd never heard of anyone being unable to breastfeed because they ate too much kentucky :dohh:

I don't think I need a chill pill as you say and I wasn't offended until now. I was just saying what her MW told her. She could breastfeed and was breastbreeding, it was the quality of her milk that was the problem. She had plenty of it, it just had no texture to it and it wasn't filling her daughter. All I am saying is that what has worked for you and others may not be the case for someone else ( maybe I didn't word it correctly). Everybodies body processes and breaks things down differently. Thats wonderful you ate rubbish for 4mths and your milk was great, good for you thats something to be proud of I guess, but that wasn't the case for my friend.
Like I said, everybody is different and all I did was express what happened with a friend of mine and you jump down my throat because that isn't what happened to you.What works for one doesn't always work for another. I don't appreciate the slap on the forehead smilie, I am not some young idiot that doesn't know anything, I have been there, I do have 3 children already.
All I ask is if you are going to reply to my comments can you please do it in an adult manner without the sarcasm.
Thankyou

I'm not joining in hun, but capital letters in posts and emails are deemed to be shouting, so I can sorta understand why Kina replied with what she did.

I know neither of you meant anything harsh by your posts, just don't want to see a new member either disappear, or argue with a long-standing member.:hugs::hugs::hugs: We all know that things can be taken completely out of context on here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->