Breast or bottle?

Careful I didnt say formula can kill anyone. I read it on a bbc report a while ago to. Babies need the anti bodies and some that are born maybe iller than others could have done with the breastmilk.

I don't see anything wrong with this statement ^^.

Some babies are born ill, and babies with any illnesses or immunity weaknesses could definitely do with the breastmilk. DH and I were just discussing this, as he was a bit shocked at someone breastfeeding their almost 2-year old, but I firmly told him, "If this baby is born with any sort of health problem or immunity issue, I will definitely breastfeed him until at least two." He asked why, so I explained it to him. He's always just accepted my breastfeeding our babies without really asking why it's done, and due to working full time, I never made it past 8 months or so with either one of them.

I was only arguing against the conclusion that is jumped to to then say "not being breastfed kills some babies". There's a big leap taken there that misses a lot that's in between.

The babies died from conditions that are rare in breastfed babies. Of course there is no way to prove that a particular baby wouldn't have died if they had been breastfed, which is why scientific studies look at trends over large sample sizes and try to control for any other factors. And no, I don't believe that breastfeeding makes people more intelligent and healthier either. They are just normal, because breastmilk is the normal food for human babies.

The babies died from conditions that are rare in breastfed babies. Of course there is no way to prove that a particular baby wouldn't have died if they had been breastfed, which is why scientific studies look at trends over large sample sizes and try to control for any other factors. And no, I don't believe that breastfeeding makes people more intelligent and healthier either. They are just normal, because breastmilk is the normal food for human babies.

I believe that (the bolded statement), and agree with your comment about 'normal', rather than implying that breastfeeding somehow makes babies into superhumans (I'm NOT saying you or anyone on this discussion so far has implied that.)

Argh... the more I read, the more I'm torn. I swear I'm not attacking anyone who has mentioned the Journal of Pediatrics study, here. I'm attacking the conclusion drawn from the study. And the numerous blog articles written about it that are making HUGE faulty leaps.
Again... I believe VERY MUCH in the health benefits of breastfeeding. I also believe VERY MUCH that too many women are too easily told, "Oh it's ok... formula's just as good." and so they easily give up on breastfeeding. There is a serious lack of information out there...lack of support...lack of alot of things.

BUT... this drives me crazy!! This study is being quoted all over the internet as a way to say that 'not breastfeeding can lead to death'.
Look at this quote from the study itself (NOT someone's blog...)
“Nearly all, 95 percent of these deaths, are attributed to three causes: sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS); necrotizing enterocolitis, seen primarily in preterm babies and in which the lining of the intestinal wall dies; and lower respiratory infections such as pneumonia. Breastfeeding has been shown to reduce the risk of all of these and seven other illnesses studied by the study authors.”

SIDS?? Yes, we know that breastfeeding can help reduce the risk of SIDS. So can sleeping on their back, making sure they're not overheated or too cold, keeping their airflow around their bed free, cosleeping, and whole host of other suggestions. Yet... if babies who are NOT breastfed die of SIDS, we can blame it on not breastfeeding?? We don't know what triggers SIDS. We only know through lots of observation, and a bit of educated guessing, what can possible help lower the risks.

Another in there was pneumonia. Again.... what??? My breastfed baby was hospitalized with pneumonia. If a breastfed baby died of pneumonia, that wouldn't have a bearing on this study, but if a formula-fed baby dies of pneumonia, we can point to lack of breastfeeding?

Again... I do not argue that breastmilk is designed for us, is a purposeful and perfect food for human infants and does have many, many health benefits that formula can't quite match up to.

But the conclusions drawn from this study aren't driving anyone else a little nuts??

Argh... the more I read, the more I'm torn. I swear I'm not attacking anyone who has mentioned the Journal of Pediatrics study, here. I'm attacking the conclusion drawn from the study. And the numerous blog articles written about it that are making HUGE faulty leaps.
Again... I believe VERY MUCH in the health benefits of breastfeeding. I also believe VERY MUCH that too many women are too easily told, "Oh it's ok... formula's just as good." and so they easily give up on breastfeeding. There is a serious lack of information out there...lack of support...lack of alot of things.

BUT... this drives me crazy!! This study is being quoted all over the internet as a way to say that 'not breastfeeding can lead to death'.
Look at this quote from the study itself (NOT someone's blog...)
“Nearly all, 95 percent of these deaths, are attributed to three causes: sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS); necrotizing enterocolitis, seen primarily in preterm babies and in which the lining of the intestinal wall dies; and lower respiratory infections such as pneumonia. Breastfeeding has been shown to reduce the risk of all of these and seven other illnesses studied by the study authors.”

SIDS?? Yes, we know that breastfeeding can help reduce the risk of SIDS. So can sleeping on their back, making sure they're not overheated or too cold, keeping their airflow around their bed free, cosleeping, and whole host of other suggestions. Yet... if babies who are NOT breastfed die of SIDS, we can blame it on not breastfeeding?? We don't know what triggers SIDS. We only know through lots of observation, and a bit of educated guessing, what can possible help lower the risks.

Another in there was pneumonia. Again.... what??? My breastfed baby was hospitalized with pneumonia. If a breastfed baby died of pneumonia, that wouldn't have a bearing on this study, but if a formula-fed baby dies of pneumonia, we can point to lack of breastfeeding?

Again... I do not argue that breastmilk is designed for us, is a purposeful and perfect food for human infants and does have many, many health benefits that formula can't quite match up to.

But the conclusions drawn from this study aren't driving anyone else a little nuts??

Yes I completely agree with you, I'm very much for breastfeeding (I wouldn't have expressed for 6 weeks through the pain and lack of sleep if I didn't) but I think this study is very biased and like you said just jumping to conclusions.

I was trying to phase it so I wouldnt be labelled some formula hater or offend any one. :(

No, Dragonfly, I really wasn't attacking you for your wording. You were referring to something you'd read, and when I started looking it up, I saw that many sources are calling it the same thing. "Death due to not breastfeeding". I haven't gotten a hold of the actual study yet, just excerpts from it, but it looks as if the publishings of the study itself are actually implying the same. That's what gets me.
I promise it wasn't directed at you or your wording specifically.

The OP may have just said;
"Breast or Bottle......FIIIIIGHTTTTT!"

Honestly

Sorry I now have images of a dodgy tv burps moment with a giant boob and bottle fighting :)

OMG admin can we get a smiley having a fight like that, boon and bottle? would lighten the place up lol

https://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/sex/www.MessenTools.com-Sex-004.gif

Oh my husband, if he was looking over my shoulder, would SO be wishing he was in on this thread...just from that one pic.
He's convinced we all describe our most intimate sexual experiences to each other. LOL. Hot-lesbian underwear pillow-fight sleepover....

Tried to find an actual cartoon of a breast and a bottle boxing.... couldn't find one. Darn!

LMAO! My husband refuses to believe that women don't pillow fight for fun when men aren't looking.....I play along now. Let them have their harmless little ideas!

LMAO! My husband refuses to believe that women don't pillow fight for fun when men aren't looking.....I play along now. Let them have their harmless little ideas!

LOL...

Yes, honey. We all pillow-fight. Naked. In gorgeous underwear you didn't know we had. With suddenly perfect bodies that don't jiggle when we swing the pillow around. Occasionally we take our tops off and make out. But only the really hot ones.

LOL...

Yes, honey. We all pillow-fight. Naked. In gorgeous underwear you didn't know we had. With suddenly perfect bodies that don't jiggle when we swing the pillow around. Occasionally we take our tops off and make out. But only the really hot ones.

Oh I have to steal that quote and use it next time my friend comes to visit.....i'll be approx 2 weeks post birth, with a big c section scar and baby weight to shed. I bet he still buys it LOL

LOL...

Well, yeah.

LOL...

Well, yeah.

:rofl:

LOL...

Oh I have to steal that quote and use it next time my friend comes to visit.....i'll be approx 2 weeks post birth, with a big c section scar and baby weight to shed. I bet he still buys it LOL

They are so starved for umm... physical affection at this point, they'll ignore all the obvious. My husband is deffo a boob-guy, so he's like, "Ohhh, I'll have to take sexy pics of you in those first few weeks of breastfeeding when your boobs are HUGE.."

Rrrrright.... 'cause in those first few weeks (and... umm... THEN some...) I won't have angry red stretch-marks, and a sagging belly....and some extra poundage.... (and it's not like he doesn't know this. We've HAD two kids!! :rofl:) eek. Pictures??? :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->