Breast Pump Opinions please

ltrip84

Mom and pregnant
Reaction score
I have been checking into the breast pumps my insurance will cover and I have listed the ones I know I can choose from so far (still have to check with another company). Can any of you tell me if you have any experience with any of these pumps? If so, please tell me the pros and cons with the one(s) you have used. I am concerned with having big breasts, areolas, and nipples and I also need something efficient and easy to use/clean since I will have to use it at work.

So far, the ones I have to choose from are:
-Ameda Purely Yours® Electric Breast Pump
-Medela Advanced Personal Double Electric Breast pump
-The First Years™ Breastflow miPump Double Pump®
-Lansinoh Affinity ProDouble Electric Breast Pump-I like this one because it guarantees that no milk will back up in the tubing.
-NUK Expresive Double Electric Breast Pump
-Phillips Avent Comfort Breast Pump-I like this because I have heard great things about the bottles that it comes with and that you can buy and the nipples are not supposed to create nipple confusion.

Out of those ones I think lanisohl one is the best because it's the only one that guarantees a closed system .

Can always use the pump and different bottles if you want I use an avent manual pump and nuk bottles to feed

I use a Medela, although it isn't that model. I had the Pump in Style. I love it.
-all bottles and equipment fit into the bag, and the bag looks like a generic black bag
-replacement parts are highly accessible where I live, but I haven't needed them yet
-the pump fits on any standard bottle size, or you can buy medela bags and pump directly into the bag
-i have never had milk get into the tubing, only water when I have used it before being completely dry after sterilizing
-you can buy rubber nipple shields to help customize your fit
- mine has a button to change speeds once letdown occurs to mimic baby's actual suckling pattern

I've had the medela you listed and the pump in style. To me, they both seemed exactly the same as far as the pump goes, but the bags were different. I have only used medela (including the hospital grade one the first few days) and like them, as far as pumps go. I have huge breasts, nipples, and areoles, but they make different size flanges, so it still works for me. I do love the let-down button, but I guess maybe you could adjust the speed for a similar effect? Not sure. I'm another that uses one kind of bottle to pump and another to feed.

I also have the Medela in Style with tote bag and I love it, though I've never used anything else so can't compare it. Mine was on sale at Target but I'm going to try to get reimbursed by my insurance company. Happy pump shopping!

I have the Medela advanced. I love it...don't have anything to compare it to though. When I called to order the rep said the only difference between the advance and pump in style was that the latter came with a battery pack.

Thanks for all of your replies! Keep them coming. Skittleblue- I have found that you can buy conversion kits for some pumps so you can pump directly into the bottles you want to use. Just something I thought you might want to check into.

I love my Medela Pump in Style! Plus all the parts they gave me in the hospital for the hospital grade one fit on this pump so I've got SO many extra parts!

I have a medela pump in style and I can't recommend it enough. I used it to exclusively pump for DD1 and kept on pumping for her for 13 months with it. It's now getting occasional use with DD2 and it's still going strong. I have only used the pump in style and the medela symphony which is hospital grade and the only difference I noticed between them was that the symphony was quieter.

The problem with the Medela is that it's nearly $300 and the Lansinoh is less than $200. Love the opinions though!

The problem with the Medela is that it's nearly $300 and the Lansinoh is less than $200. Love the opinions though!

Yes. the Madela pump in style is unfortunately not on my list of insurance covered pumps, but the Madela Advanced Personal Double Electric Breast pump is. I was hoping to get some more input on the ones I actually have to choose from from the insurance company. All of which are around $150-$200 when I check Amazon prices.

So far, the ones I have to choose from are:
-Ameda Purely Yours® Electric Breast Pump
-Medela Advanced Personal Double Electric Breast pump
-The First Years™ Breastflow miPump Double Pump®
-Lansinoh Affinity ProDouble Electric Breast Pump-I like this one because it guarantees that no milk will back up in the tubing.
-NUK Expresive Double Electric Breast Pump
-Phillips Avent Comfort Breast Pump-I like this because I have heard great things about the bottles that it comes with and that you can buy and the nipples are not supposed to create nipple confusion.

Ameda is a closed system, is really good
Medela is not a closed system, but otherwise is really good
I have not heard good things about the miPump, but haven't heard much at all though
Have heard good things about Lansinoh, it was on my short list. I believe it is closed.
Have not heard about the NUK or Avent, but they are less expensive. Not saying an expensive pump is automatically better, but you usually get what you pay for. Also, you should get the $$$ through your insurance, you can always pick up a cheaper one later if you need to but it would cost more if you have to go buy a $$$ after getting a $ one through your insurance, you know?

I would recommend the Lansinoh or Ameda firstly, they are both double electric and are closed systems, with the Medela in a close third. Parts for all three are widely available. The danger with a not closed system is that moisture (and thus mold) can get into the motor and it cannot be cleaned. The air that is used to create the suction is rushed through the pipes and motor, and thus, can accumulate little bits of mold. The risk is low, the system is designed to keep moisture out, but being an open system it is always a risk. Closed systems eliminate that risk. I don't know why medela doesn't just make theirs closed too (I know why, it's so every mom has to buy a new one - you can't share/buy used "safely").

I know with the Ameda and Medela (and I think the Lansinoh) they all take standard neck bottles. That means any non-wide neck bottle will fit directly onto the pump, and there are adaptors for bags if you prefer. I use the same collection bottles and pour into glass mason jars now. I used to use various glass standard neck bottles and just store in the same bottles. I have used Medela Symphony (IS a closed system), Dr. Brown's Simplesse (worked great, but would not recommend), and Lucina Melodi Advanced (what I currently used, paid by insurance).

As far as cleaning at work, most people I have talked to, do not clean between every use. I don't. I start with clean parts in the AM, I pump, then leave my pumping kit assembled and put it in the fridge with my milk wrapped in a burp cloth. I then take the parts out a lunch, use them, and put them back in the fridge. After my third pumping in the afternoon, I EITHER wash them at the office for use the next morning, or throw them back in my bag and wash at home.

The medela parts I know are dishwasher safe, most parts are top rack safe. Some people buy multiple sets of parts and just use a new set each day (or each pumping session) and then just run a cycle in the dishwasher with all their parts for the day/week. You can also use those microwave sterilizer bags at work. Like if you were worried and didn't want to get out the soap every time, you could rinse them in warm water then run them through the sterilizer bag and then use them the next time.

They also make little wipes for cleaning on the go, but those are quite expensive if you have access to a sink you might not want to pay that all the time.

LOTS of options for cleaning at work, but most people I have talked to just don't. They keep them in the fridge and clean at the end of the day.

Thank you so much for all of the great info! From what I understand, I won't get actuall $$$ from my insurance. The breast pump company will submit info to them when I choose one and the insurance will pay the company (not me). I am thankful that it will be no cost to me, but I still want to make the best decision and not have to end up buying a different one later.

Thank you so much for all of the great info! From what I understand, I won't get actuall $$$ from my insurance. The breast pump company will submit info to them when I choose one and the insurance will pay the company (not me). I am thankful that it will be no cost to me, but I still want to make the best decision and not have to end up buying a different one later.

Yes definitely, but you can't always guarantee. I rented one through hospital, got one through insurance (hospital grade), didn't like it, rented one from hospital, bought one($250), used it for a while, then went back to my insurance-bought pump.

But say you request a $100 pump from the insurance. They pay, you end up not liking it, but you can't return used breast pumps, so you have to go out and buy one. The one that would probably work might cost $200 or $300. Since in general, good quality double electric pumps work better, you would be prudent to consider the higher priced ones from your insurance. So in the rare case a quality pump like an ameda or medela doesn't work (most the times they do), you could go out and get a $100 pump easier than a $300. But the odds are, a more expensive pump is probably going to work better and/or last longer. Just my opinion and experience.

Most of the pumps seem to be in about the same dollar range when I have looked at them online.

Most of the pumps seem to be in about the same dollar range when I have looked at them online.

:thumbup: cool, when I was shopping the Ameda and Medela were higher than say the NUK, maybe they've gone down! Ignore my advice then as it seems you don't need it.

:thumbup: cool, when I was shopping the Ameda and Medela were higher than say the NUK, maybe they've gone down! Ignore my advice then as it seems you don't need it.

Nonono! I really appreciate your advice and will use it when making my decision. The cleaning info and info about the different pumps has been SUPER helpful!

Nonono! I really appreciate your advice and will use it when making my decision. The cleaning info and info about the different pumps has been SUPER helpful!

:flower: No biggie, I meant about the prices of the pumps and all. I've just been through multiple pumps and have been doing it for a while, since I only got 12 weeks leave! I also had to pump for the first two or three weeks while LO was in the NICU.

:flower: No biggie, I meant about the prices of the pumps and all. I've just been through multiple pumps and have been doing it for a while, since I only got 12 weeks leave! I also had to pump for the first two or three weeks while LO was in the NICU.

We should keep in touch because I could learn a lot from you. I too plan to take 11 or 12 weeks off work and plan to pump once I go back. I actually would like to pump some after the initial 4-6 weeks so OH can feed the baby and I can build up a backup supply to use if needed.

Did you have any problems BF in the beginning? I am trying to learn a lot before I even try in case something comes up. That way I can be a little more informed and not give up so easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->