Breastfeeding and weightloss!

Juicyg

Reaction score
Firstly I just want to say I never ever thought I would get to 4 months of breastfeeding! I'm so proud of myself!

A question though, I've heard that you burn more calories breastfeeding once you get past 3 months, is this true?

Reason I ask is because I've been doing weight watchers since my baby was 8 weeks old and have slowly been losing weight but last night I lost 3 pounds in 1 week!
And this is after a week where I actually wasn't that good, which makes me think maybe I'm burning more calories than I thought.

Can anyone clarify for me?x

I don't have an answer for you! But I'm curious :)

My lo is 4 months as well and I lost all baby weight, then started gaining. I am no longer gaining but would love to lose the weight I put back on!

I don't know for sure but I know the weight fell off me between 3-6 months of breastfeeding but has slowed down between 6-9 months.
I think I've only lost 2Ib in the past three months, but that said its still a bonus as I haven't really been trying :)

I've heard you burn more calories and also need to eat more calories to make up the difference while breastfeeding. Allthough I can't relate. I lost all the baby weight and then gained it all back despite hardcore working out and dieting :shrug:

I think babies probably drink the most milk each day between 3 and 6 months, since they are bigger, but not yet eating solid foods regularly, so you would burn more calories in making the milk.

I know a few people who got thinner than they'd ever been, without even trying, when their babies were around 6 months old. But later, when their babies stopped nursing as much, because they were eating solid foods, they did gain some of it back. I think my friends got used to being able to eat what they wanted and not gain weight, so they were still in that habit when the babies stopped taking so many of those calories, hence the weight gain.

Thanks everyone for replying...it makes sense that we burn more at that point to me as I'm ravenous! Seriously I'm always hungry lol!
I am watching what I eat though so I'm hoping that when the time comes and I start to stop breastfeeding my weight loss will even off.

I've got 13 pounds to get to my pre pregnancy weight and then would like to lose a bit more :)

My little dude is certainly eating lots and it shows in his weight..last time I got him weighed he was 17lbs 8oz! He is my little giant haha x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->