breastfeeding & coffee

mickey

Reaction score
the health visitor came and she was asking me whether I drink coffee!

I said yes (I was drinking coffee during pregnancy as well) and she said I can't drink coffee whilst breastfeeding as bubs will get awake of it and will get headaches from withdrawal symptoms!

so far, bubs is sleeping like an angel and doesn't seem to have any headaches as I assume she would cry then, or not???

what do you guys think???

I just love my cup of coffee in the morning and do not drink more than two per day!!!

Hi

My personal opinion is that your HV is talking out of her bum. I went to loads of Le Leche League breastfeeding group sessions where I found the women to be far more trained and knowledgable than the MW/HVs etc and they SERVED us coffee! I think it's like most things - in moderation and when you're having a balanced diet with plenty of other fluids it will be fine.

I had 1 or 2 cups of coffee/tea a day when I was breastfeeding and didn't notice any symptoms in DD that would relate to it.

Why don't you ask her how much training she has in bfing?

Yup agree with Lucy,most HV's and midwives have very little training i breastfeeding, and unless they have personal experiece I would not listen a jot to them.If baby is fine, then there is no need to worry, its not like you are having 6+ cups a day. So enjoy your coffee, and your little one is just beautiful

thx for replying :hi:

Now, I read somewhere that about two cups of coffee are fine and won't have any affect on the baby!

I will trust this source and you guys rather than my HV ;)

Sorry was just searching for coffee and breastfeeding and this link came up!
glad i found it as we just got a dolce gusto coffee machine so drinking alot of coffee now! mainly decaf anyway.

A couple of cups a day wont do any harm!!!
I switched to decaff when i found out i was pregnant (was a serious coffee drinker) and for the first few days i did get withdrawals and horrible headaches, but i'm used to the decaff now. Cant altogether avoid real coffee though if i'm visiting friends or family. But i certainly dont get enough caffine in my system now to affect Sam.

I went to decaf when I fell pregnant and I'm still on it now. I suppose if they are worried about it getting to baby, then drink it while BF, then it will be out of your system by the next time you feed. A bit like alcohol I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->