• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Breastfeeding in public debate on This Morning (uk)

Katerpillar

Mammy to 1 cheeky monkey!
Reaction score
Coming up in 5 minutes!! Preparing myself to feel angry and shocked :nope:

I personally don't agree with her. I breastfeed in public for comfort (not so much these days though) but I think it doesn't really matter what the reason for that particular feed is- if you are feeding your baby (whatever method) you should leave the pool.

I don't know if I just sound harsh? But really I just feel it's tough if you don't want to get out, you just have to.

She says she was told not to feed at the side of the pool either, and I am not sure about that. On the one hand, I don't think bottles or other food would be allowed there? But on the other hand, I think if I was a pool manager I would turn a blind eye to that as it isn't actually in the pool.

I'm all for public feeding. But eating or drinking of any kind in a public pool is gross and unhygienic to me!

I'm a bit of a germphobe anyway so would wash my boobs after swimming before feeding DD. I can't help but think about everything in the water! Blergh

The other woman was an idiot though. Saying its disgusting that milk could've got in the pool.

Same old debate then. Dosnt matter where a woman feeds she will be slung up on tv about breastfeeding. Its like de ja vu in the media. And this morning are great at stirring the pot when it comes to getting backs up about breastfeeding. There seems to be no where in public a woman can feed unless its hid in a cornor under a blanket and even at that I bet she still gets called inappropriate. So tiring the same argument. Words like "discreet" "I have no problem with breastfeeding BUT" "dignity""respect" all thrown about none actually given towards a breastfeeding mum. I didnt watch by the way I seen on facebook .

When I swim my let-down usually kicks off at some point! Are they trying to say 3 year olds don't pee in the pool? Swim nappies only hold poo!

Personally I think this woman is wrong.

Not for breast feeding in public, each to their own, but because she will have been swimming in that pool water and whatever else was in it.

Personally I would have at least wanted to rinse off the chlorine before letting my baby feed.

I've never understood the fuss of breast feeding in public. You don't like it? Don't bloody watch.

Although why you would decide to stay in the pool and breast feed is a little beyond me. With the waves and stuff baby might take in some dirty water or whatever, and surely you would want to have a bit of a wash before feeding after swimming? Just my opinion. You could just get out, feed, then get back in. Ah, each to their own I guess.

Yeah I was thinking it would be a bit unsanitary but she did say that she hadn't actually been in the pool fully - she was waist deep so no chlorine would be on her boobs! She also said she was doing it more for comfort than nourishment and that getting out of the pool to do this then getting back it would defeat the purpose! Turned out not to be a debate on NIP anyway so I never really got that angry :haha: But that other woman was total numpty - she said she didn't have a problem with anyone feeding in public as long as they did it somewhere private - hmmmmm - don't quote me on this but isn't that a contradiction in terms :dohh:

Didn't watch it, but I don't have a problem with her feeding in pool. Babies needs for food or comfort are top priority.
All this talk of being unhygienic is rubbish. Are people worrying about breastmilk mixing with all the baby piss, sweat and chlorine & being infected with nutrition & antibodies.

No I was thinking more like unhygienic for the baby - with all the piss, sweat and chlorine floating about and potentially being ingested.

Didn't watch it, but I don't have a problem with her feeding in pool. Babies needs for food or comfort are top priority.
All this talk of being unhygienic is rubbish. Are people worrying about breastmilk mixing with all the baby piss, sweat and chlorine & being infected with nutrition & antibodies.

I think you need to go and re-read the posts.

Would you be happy to eat/drink in a pool? I certainly wouldn't.

Yeah I was thinking it would be a bit unsanitary but she did say that she hadn't actually been in the pool fully - she was waist deep so no chlorine would be on her boobs! She also said she was doing it more for comfort than nourishment and that getting out of the pool to do this then getting back it would defeat the purpose! Turned out not to be a debate on NIP anyway so I never really got that angry :haha: But that other woman was total numpty - she said she didn't have a problem with anyone feeding in public as long as they did it somewhere private - hmmmmm - don't quote me on this but isn't that a contradiction in terms :dohh:

And then at the end when the pool-feeding woman said she would wait until off-camera to feed her baby, the other woman goes, "Remember there are other people around" or something like that. Kind of weird I thought.

Why dont they do a debate on "is it ok to feed your baby in a toilet" instead of this? no one ever says that even though plenty of woman have been sent to the toilet to feed. Anyway I wonder where the next inappropriate location for debate on morning day time shows will be. Or better another "what age" debate.

I don't think a pool is that much more hygienic than a toilet though. Which is why I think this was an interesting debate and not an "anti NiP" story.

I am wondering from the comments I seen on this mornings page and elsewhere would the same people who are up in arms about someone feeding in a swimming pool be the same about a mum behind a closed door of a dirty toilet. I would like to see the answers to that.

I don't know but I'm sure when swimming lo would get pool water up around their mouths and maybe in their mouths anyway. i don't see a problem with it!

I wouldn't feed in a pool but that's just me. If someone else wanted to, well, whatever... it's already got whatever else floating in it, what's a bit of breastmilk? That's why they invented chlorine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->