• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"Breastfeeding Overrated?"

Argh im out what a horrible thread

Bunch of mums on their high horses basically saying they love their children more and are better mothers for persevering with breastfeeding.

Lol, I do not think I am a better mom than anyone else. If that is what you have been getting out of my posts- then you are not really reading them. There are a million decisions moms make every day. Breastfeeding or formula feeding is just one decision. For me, it is an important part of my relationship with my son. For formula feeding moms, it isn't, obviously because they do not have that relationship. That doesn't mean that a formula feeding mom doesn't have a million other things that strengthen other relationships they have. Nobody is a perfect mom, and I get tired of reading formula feeding moms posting that they couldn't breastfeed for some of the same reasons I have overcome. Gah stop saying things that are not exactly true because you feel like people will judge you for the truth. I am not a perfect mother. I wanted to have a perfect, vaginal, unmedicated birth- but I had basically the polar opposite of that. Because it turns out that I did not want to feel the natural way my body birthed a child. It feels painful and awful and I was tired. But I don't say I couldn't have done it, and I applaud the moms who do it.

I get tired of formula feeding moms reading something about breastfeeding, and acting like it is a weapon against them saying that breastfeeding moms are better, or in turn that they are not good enough. Scientifically, breastfeeding is better than formula. We know that. But lactating doesn't make you a good parent...Though it can be one way that you parent your child to the best of your abilities. Or maybe it factors in not at all. It's the individual family in question...

It was an important part of my relationship with my daughter too.

Why di u get sick of it? You overcome it good on u but why the need to come on here and say it was more important to you so thats why you perservered? To say it obviously wasnt as important to a mum that resorts to ff?? You have no idea what another mother went through even if they were similar issues to yourself - doesnt mean they wouldnt walk through fire for their child or they failed to show love, dedication etc.

Sorry but your posts do come across in a way that is disrespectful imo. Abd ive read alot of bf vs ff threads on here.

I get tired of reading formula feeding moms posting that they couldn't breastfeed for some of the same reasons I have overcome. Gah stop saying things that are not exactly true because you feel like people will judge you for the truth..

I dont appreciate being called a liar either thanks. You think you know my journey, but you dont.

I went through 3 months of hell before i couldnt do it anymore. You have no idea of my issues, struggles and obstacles that i overcame to give my daughter 3 months of breastmilk. I tried my absolute best.

It was just as important to me even tho u seem to think its not and i showed her love and dedication for sticking at it as long as i did. I stopped and cried for weeks over it.

And thanks for making me feel like that again. Nice.

Wow. Whether you are meaning them to or not, counting, your posts are coming across horrible.

Sorry, totally unintentional. I guess things do not always come across in writing with the same inflection they do in speech.

I'm trying to say, for me breastfeeding was a challenge, but it was something- not so much that I desperately wanted to do, but I was, unlike most people raised in a culture of breastfeeding as the norm, so it is just kind of what you did. I had a lot of support and encouragement through seeing a LC, postpartum doula and having family who breastfed. It's just I'd hate for a mom to give up on breastfeeding if she really wants to do it, because she reads that infections and tongue tie, for example are reasons people can not breastfeed, because they can be overcome. Not in all cases, certainly, and not with a very solid support system. I feel like moms sometimes believe they can't do something and that maybe they would be happier if they realized that they are capable people, but for whatever reason chose to go a different path. I feel like that might be helpful with some of the FF guilt so many moms say they have. You did what was right for you, and there is no shame in saying "I've had enough. I'm not getting enough help". If you are unhappy you are not having a good breastfeeding experience and that is not the root of a good relationship with your child(to, for instance resent breastfeeding due to pain, and having no support or ability to correct the problem is not a great way to build a relationship either). And this is not to say that some moms can not physically breastfeed, for whatever reason. Be it an issue with mom or baby. It happens, not often, but it does. Most breastfeeding failures, are really failures of a system that does not adequately support mothers. We should be angry at this system, instead of at yourself for not breastfeeding, and at others for breastfeeding and being proud of it.

I'm just happy for Mamas who love fully and raise gently their children. I think in the long run that makes more of a difference than breastfeeding. I'm just tired of every time someone says breast is best, that someone will say it offends them, and the topic has to be moved. It's science. It might not feel awesome if you can't, wouldn't or don't breastfeed. But lots of topics make people upset, intentionally or not. I don't feel like these topics should be hidden away.

It does bother me so many moms resort to FF. But that actually has nothing to do with those moms! It has to do with the system not supporting them in the way they need. You can not swim across an ocean without a boat. You can try, but you are likely to drown. That is like breastfeeding without support.

As for this " walk through fire comment" - for me, breastfeeding is one way I show my son that. I have never, in all my posts ever said that other moms do not show this in other ways. I applaud the moms
who go back to work at 6 weeks pp, who are single parents, who struggle to make ends meet. Those Mamas, I see them walk through fire for their kids every day. Mamas who hold vigil next to the NICU incubator. I have not done it, and they have- and I really think they are showing their kids that they would do anything for them. You don't need to breastfeed to be a good parent. And breastfeeding does not make any parenting "mistakes" disappear.

My journey as a mother includes overcoming the struggles of breastfeeding. I have consistently said " my son, my struggles, my situation" because I am talking about me. Not any of you. I do not know what exact struggles people have faced. But I do get it. I really do. 1000x over I get it. I think what it boils down to in my case is the kind of support system I have surrounding breastfeeding. I don't think I have any magical qualities that helped me persevere when other people did not, other than an extreme stubborn streak.

I do not care if people formula feed their babies. I care that there is an atmosphere surrounding BF that makes it difficult to overcome challenges. I also care that a simple, general discussion of breastfeeding cant happen without being sent to the debates or making people feel offended because they FF or whatever(or BF people getting offended about whatever else.). It should be easy for a group of adults, parents, to discuss something without it being controversial.

PS. I do think I am a better mom, and that I love my son more than FF moms. Or other breastfeeding moms. Or anyone for that matter. I think I am the best mom I can possibly be to my son. I love him more than anyone else could, I honestly believe that. I honestly believe that most moms love their child more than anyone else possibly could, and that they are the best mom in the world, to their child. I don't think you can line love and dedication up and have it measured against everyone else. That is not really how love works. So as for being on my high horse, saying I'm a better mom and I love my child more...The answer is yes I am. But also no I am not. I could not love your child better than you already do. But trust me, I can love my son better than you ever could.

I read something once that said "breast milk is love made into food." I totally agree with that statement. But I also think that you can give love just by loving your baby or child. I think that at 3am when you get up to make a bottle and rock your crying baby to sleep in your arms and give him kisses on the top of his head and hold his little hands in yours...That baby must feel a lot like that formula is a mother's love made in to food.

(rereading my posts come off unintentionally harsh. I had a massive migraine so I was really much colder than I wished to be :(, sorry :()

I think that post was worded a lot better than a few of your previous ones. Parts of it I disagree with, parts of it I agree with, but it certainly didn't come across the way your previous posts did. Kudos to you.

I may have overreacted slightly too as im 30 weeks pregnant. Im preparing to face the breastfeeding journey again and I hope im more successful this time round.

Good luck with everything :)

Again, I really apologize!

No point to articles like this.

Science is science, IMO. I do what's best for my baby, not what's best for me.

I actually think it's rude for the article to call BFing overrated, as the reverse would cause an uproar....but of course, that wouldn't be allowed. :dohh:

See imo this is saying if you ff you are being selfish and not doing what is best for your baby, you are doing what is best for yourself. Its a little dig.

Forgetting there are many reasons why a mother may end up ff, it doesnt mean she is putting herself first over her baby, and you know what its just as important for baby?? to have a happy, relaxed mum too.

I dont think bf is overrated, we all know its the best for your baby but formula is a perfectly acceptable substitute.

Just because u breastfed doesnt make u a better mother. You have no idea why a mother switches to formula or cant breastfeed. Its not a fricken competition for goodness sake!

You can take my few words and make them sound however you want, but no not every mum does what's best for their baby before what's best for them, I'm referring to my owns mums choice to FF me because she thought it was 'weird'

I also don't buy this happy mum, happy baby PERSONALLY. Happy baby, should mean happy mummy, my baby is happy having breastmilk, sure it would be nice if she took a bottle and I didn't expect to BF past 6m initially but I have no choice. So even if I wasn't happy about having to continue to BF, I just got on with it to keep my baby happy.

Again, just to reitterate, I reference, MY situation, MY baby....I couldn't care less how others feed/treat their babies, not my problem, but I stand by my comment....."I do what's best for my baby"

Please go tell all the women with PND that just because their babies are happy they should be :dohh:

Women go through SO many struggles becoming a mother than unfortunately happy baby does not mean happy mum. Not at all.

:nope:

Breast is best, we all know this. It's a fact that can't be argued with so there's no point taking offence when that is pointed out. We are fortunate to have a fantastic substitute that also offers many of its own benefits and gives us the opportunity to choose. It might not be quite as good but it sure as hell isn't 'bad' so trying to suggest it is is also stupid. If you BF your baby that's cool. If you FF your baby that's cool. (I did both) If you're on your high horse about how you fed your baby and think it makes you superior then you're deluded. Just my two cents.

I'm not so sure it is, breastfeeding at 6 months stands at 1% in this country, if it really was valued so much by society then we wouldn't be seeing such low numbers. Sometimes I think colostrum could be overrated - I know many people who were told and went with it that as long you bf for the first few days then you don't need to bother continuing :dohh:

Please go tell all the women with PND that just because their babies are happy they should be :dohh:

Women go through SO many struggles becoming a mother than unfortunately happy baby does not mean happy mum. Not at all.

:nope:

I agree that there are a lot of situations and adjustments that will result in a new mom being unhappy despite her baby's happiness and I certainly don't think it's fair to make light of PND (though I'm not sure that's what the pp was going for).
But I think it's equally important to acknowledge the same bullshitness in the "Happy mom, happy baby" phrase, because there are lots of choices a woman can make for her own comfort/happiness that can cause pain/upset/unhappiness in the baby and just because a choice was made with the happiness of the mother in mind doesn't mean that it will result in a happy child. (And I don't think you were at all saying that it would, I just wanted to give equal lip service against the HM,HB phrase because I still see it used everywhere and it drives me insane.) :flower:

If you're on your high horse about how you fed your baby and think it makes you superior then you're deluded. Just my two cents.

I have never seen a woman claim to be an overall superior mom/person because they breastfeed. What I have seen are a lot of women who claim that they made a superior choice about the milk they feed their child. And then a bunch of other women who claim that formula is "just as good" and get offended that those women think that they provided better nutrition for part of their child's life. I'm not going to pretend that I don't believe that providing breast milk is better than providing formula. Does that make me a better mom/person? No. There are a lot of other aspects to being a parent. I would never tell another woman who legitimately made better choices/was in a better situation than me to "get off her high horse" for acknowledging that she was able to do better than me in whatever aspect of parenting she was superior in. I would applaud her, 1) because she deserves it and 2) because by doing better herself she's gathering/disseminating information that will enable others to follow her path and that's good for all children, present and future. There will always be someone out there who did better than you/me or is better than you/me. I guess I just don't understand the attitude that it's the end of the world to find out that you're not the absolute best in the world in the extremely complex and faceted and circumstantial world of raising children. (And I don't think it's you that has this attitude, NB, but I tend to see it a lot.)
In terms of this topic, I'm pretty confident in saying that DS has 'self'-weaned at 18mo due to my pregnancy. All those women who made it to 2/3/4 years? They did better than me. In this aspect of parenting, they are superior to me. And they deserve that acknowledgement because they sacrificed a lot to get there. They worked for it and I don't think it's fair to take away from what they've done for their children by pretending or insisting that they and I are equal somehow in this respect. That's how I view it when I see ff-ers insisting that bf-ing isn't superior.

How do you know who has made better choices? There isn't a parenting handbook and it's all relative so you can't compare 2 families. So I absolutely stand by that part of my comment. Be proud of yourself for your own choices but if it gives you a feeling of superiority (I don't mean you specifically when I say you) then I think your priorities are all wrong tbh.

How do you know who has made better choices? There isn't a parenting handbook and it's all relative so you can't compare 2 families. So I absolutely stand by that part of my comment. Be proud of yourself for your own choices but if it gives you a feeling of superiority (I don't mean you specifically when I say you) then I think your priorities are all wrong tbh.

In many cases, it's empirical inquiry. We know that breast milk is better for children than formula, we know that children fare better when mom is with them for the first several years of life, we know that cesareans and epidurals and inductions all have various disimproved effects on newborns when used unnecessarily, we know that delaying introduction of solids is ideal in the majority of situations, we know that fresh food is better than processed/pre-packaged, etc. Some of these choices are apparent, some we only know if we're the parents, but either way it just seems silly to pretend that all choices have equal outcomes and that one choice isn't better than another. It's not necessarily a feeling of superiority (though I would never begrudge another woman pride in what she was able to accomplish in motherhood), it's just that one choice is factually superior to another.

Edit: Any why are my posts a weird purple color? I promise I'm not blinging out my posts. :wacko: Does anyone else see their own posts in a different color than every other post?

You're not taking circumstances and diversity amongst families into account which takes me right back to my previous comment. Just because someone had to deviate from their original plan doesn't mean they have been less successful and your perception of success will be entirely different from someone else's. If people want to look at it as black and white then fine, it's all well and good sticking to facts but that isn't life I'm afraid. We're emotional beings and so many other factors come into it, it's ignorant to assume otherwise.

All posts look the same to me?

You're not taking circumstances and diversity amongst families into account which takes me right back to my previous comment. Just because someone had to deviate from their original plan doesn't mean they have been less successful and your perception of success will be entirely different from someone else's. If people want to look at it as black and white then fine, it's all well and good sticking to facts but that isn't life I'm afraid. We're emotional beings and so many other factors come into it, it's ignorant to assume otherwise.

I guess this is where we differ-- you see differences in circumstance as a reason to have different definitions of success. I see differences in circumstances as a reason to accept that some failures are not solely the work of our own will and to learn from them rather than aim to repeat them.
As an example, I had to put my son in daycare at 6 weeks. That was a massive failure, but was unavoidable because the alternative was to not have food/shelter and I didn't realize before having a baby how devastating that would be for both him and me. I see it as a reason to accept and embrace my failure, rather than a reason to call it a success just because we kept food on the table. But again, I would never deny the damaging effect that my circumstances had on him, which is what I see a lot of mothers trying to do. Unless the mother is somehow abusive or negligent or suffering from health problems of her own, staying home with mom will always be better for a child, even if it's not practically achievable. It doesn't make me a bad mom, but I would never demand that a SAHM stop spreading awareness of the negative effects of early life separation, which is what ff-ers regularly ask bf-ers to do when they demand we stop saying that ff-ing isn't as good as bf-ing and spreading awareness of the dangers associated with ff-ing.

I guess my post colors are from other programs I'm running. Other posts are starting to bling out into different colors now, too, so at least I know all my posts don't look to other people like a 3rd grader wrote it will a sparkly gel pen.

I guess this is where we differ-- you see differences in circumstance as a reason to have different definitions of success. I see differences in circumstances as a reason to accept that some failures are not solely the work of our own will and to learn from them rather than aim to repeat them.
As an example, I had to put my son in daycare at 6 weeks. That was a massive failure, but was unavoidable because the alternative was to not have food/shelter and I didn't realize before having a baby how devastating that would be for both him and me. I see it as a reason to accept and embrace my failure, rather than a reason to call it a success just because we kept food on the table. But again, I would never deny the damaging effect that my circumstances had on him, which is what I see a lot of mothers trying to do. Unless the mother is somehow abusive or negligent or suffering from health problems of her own, staying home with mom will always be better for a child, even if it's not practically achievable. It doesn't make me a bad mom, but I would never demand that a SAHM stop spreading awareness of the negative effects of early life separation, which is what ff-ers regularly ask bf-ers to do when they demand we stop saying that ff-ing isn't as good as bf-ing and spreading awareness of the dangers associated with ff-ing.

I guess my post colors are from other programs I'm running. Other posts are starting to bling out into different colors now, too, so at least I know all my posts don't look to other people like a 3rd grader wrote it will a sparkly gel pen.

What now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->