breastfeeding while pregnant?

RedString

Reaction score
I originally posted this in the weaning forum as "BLW - 18 months... Can't do this anymore", but some one suggested I ask you fine ladies, so here I am.

Adrian is almost 19 months. He eats regular food, and he's happy to. But he still ALWAYS wants the breast. ALWAYS. I work evening shift, and he doesn't go to bed unless I'm there to nurse him to sleep, he climbs up on me after meals and tries to pull my shirt down so that he can nurse. it's driving me insane. And now, assumingly because of no 2 on the way, it HURTS. It feels like he's ALWAYS biting, so then when he does bite I literally SCREAM and cry for twenty minutes because it feels like he just tried to take my nipple off!!

And if I tell him "no, you just ate dinner." he throws a temper tantrum. If I put him in the highchair and give him some more food, he throws it on the floor. If I try to feed it to him, he shakes his head and cries. He's just not interested in anything else, and my poor breasts can't take it anymore! does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi hun didnt want to read and run!

What i'd suggest is to start giving him a cup of fresh milk before bed, if he throws tantrums etc let him, by giving in, he knows that if he throws his dinner or whatever then you are going to give in, so just keep to your word and stop nursing him, the first week may be bad, but the second third and forth will only get easier and eventually he will get used to not being nursed, talk to him and tell him mummy needs you to be a big boy before the new baby comes along, dont mean to sound harsh but if you keep giving in and nursing him, it will make it alot harder for you especially when there is a new baby! x

well, okay obviously I must have worded SOMETHING wrong, because you clearly misunderstood what I said. I said he wants the breast constantly, not that he gets it. He only gets it at bed time, or over night, because I co-sleep and most of the time sleep through it anyway. Besides the idea of weaning is to slowly bring him off the breast, not cut him off cold turkey. It's not like I'm in danger of going into labour tomorrow or anything, I have the time to wean him, I'm just not sure where to go from here. I feel like he should be needing less breastmilk, but instead it's almost like he needs more.

Do you think he's being clingy about it because he senses your new pregnancy?

A friend of mine had a toddler that wanted to nurse constantly. She tried cutting down slowly but he just wouldn't manage it so she had to do it all in one go and cut him off cold turkey. She waited for a long weekend where DH was off to help her distract him from wanting to feed and help with night weaning and it did work.

I'm currently trying to night wean my LO and I'm finding it really hard / impossible to stop her from feeding whilst we are co-sleeping. Maybe you need to wean from co-sleeping in order to achieve no night feeds?

I've not got experience of nursing through pregnancy, but I've just been reading Mothering your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner, which has a big section on it, and also ways to initiate weaning in a way that is kind to both you and your son. I'd really recommend it. I tried to write some of the things it says, but there seemed to be so many good points, it would be difficult to do! Hope it improves soon.

My son was the same way at that age. I remember asking my LLL leader, and she said that at around 18 months different antibodies are released, and quite often toddlers will nurse more at that time. I also think it is to do with the age, they are really discovering their independence, and most find that scary. They can always find comfort in nursing.

My LLL also told me that if you can hang in through the 1st trimester, it is not as painful in the 2nd, but that your supply will drop off around 16+ weeks.

I would either offer his something else to drink, or do your best to distract him with something. It is very difficult because a nursing toddler can be very very determined.

Hi! When is your baby due? My DS1 is 19 months too, and he seems to want to nurse constantly too. I know its hard in the first trimester, as your nipples get really sensitive. However, if you persist through the first trimester it does get easier! I know I sometimes look at my DS1 and think "Boy your big!" and sometimes it causes me to hesitate in persisting bf'ing him. I do think that tandem feeding has made my sons closer and they get along splendidly. I think if I had weaned my older son and refused to bf'd him after his brother had come, there would be jealousy issues.

With pulling down the shirt, I would suggest being very firm with him. Tell him "No and put him down, or in the room. Just like the biting issue. Biting is a severe no-no, and requires the same treatment as pulling down the shirt. Temper tantrums are common at this age, too. I know its frustrating, but the more attention they get when they throw the tantrums, the more often they will do it. HTH! :flower:

it might be my supply dropping off then. according to online calculators I'm about 17 weeks. And before I get flack for having not been to a prenatal and knowing my due date for sure yet, all the doctors in my area are crazy busy and I haven't been able to get in. All the midwives are too far away for me to go. I live in a completely midwife free zone, it's insane and it sucks.

Which makes it even weirder because my nipples were fine as far as sensitivity goes until around Christmas. That's when it REALLY started hurting. I would love to do tandem nursing, but I honestly feel like my nipples are going to come off in his mouth sometimes. :\

I will definitely have to look up that book though, thanks Tacey, :D If anyone else thinks of more suggestions, I'm open to hearing them. thanks again ladies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->