Breastfeeds suddenly dropped at 10mo...

Becky61

Mummy & TTC #2
Reaction score
My son has always been BF, when we hit the 10 month mark, he suddenly dropped to a boob in the morning and a boob in the evening before bed, it was roughly every 4hrs before this.

Is this normal? He has a few sips of water throughout the day, and eats solids like an absolute pig. Should i be supplimenting the dropped feeds with formula? Or just let him take the lead and he will feed off me if he wants it? Im concerned hes not getting enough liquid.

I knew this would happen one day, and planned to BF him morning and night in his 2nd year, but give him cows milk through the day. But hes dropped earlier than i imagined. Im not sure what to do.

Thanks.

x

I always made sure to always have water available for dd after 6 months. She nursed on demand too. I never gave her cows milk (babies don't actually ever need to drink/switch to cowsmilk) because I would rather her drink breastmilk and I didn't want her to fill up only on cowsmilk. My dd ate mainly breastmilk until after a year, even though we always offered her meals and snacks (we did baby led weaning) so not much to offer with experience with a baby who eats lots of solids, sorry.

As long as he has plenty of wet diapers and isn't constipated I wouldn't worry about his fluid intake. My dd still bfs tons, night, morning and throughout the day but I have read about some babies self-weaning before a year so every baby is different.

There is no reason to supplement with formula, imo. If you feel you should give him a bottle than just give him expressed milk.

Also, I have heard about some babies going on a nursing strike at certain ages, but I don't have anything to offer on that so maybe someone else can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->