Breastmilk and cradle cap

Sarah125

Reaction score
I read that you can use breastmilk to help cradle cap. I was going to try it on my daughter as she has recently developed a bit of cradle cap.

Has anyone tried this. It says just to rub it in but won't it go in her hair and smell? She has a lot of hair.

Just curious :haha:

Curious too Sarah!!!

I am thinking of getting a Millie Pastry Brush so I can paint her head with Olive Oil & then breastmilk :haha: :haha:

She's not got cradle cap, but quite big patches of raised red dry skin over her head.

I use bm mixed with coconut oil and put on DD skin to help with her eczema.

I tried with DS1..didn't work for him!

Considering the amount of breastmilk that go all over LO when he was little (overactive let down, having to use nipple shields, etc) I never noticed it getting weird on his skin. I'm sure it soaks in before it gets weird, remember, BM is good at room temp for like 8-10 hours, not like it is BAD at 10 hours, meaning it is good for 10 hours and STARTS to go bad at 10. (some places say 6, some say 8, some say 10...)

Thanks for the replies ladies. I think I will give it a try tonight and see if it works. Worth a try I suppose :shrug:

Olive oil is wonderful stuff isn't it Sue. I used it when Sophie was first born as she had patches of dry skin. It worked so quick! I use it for her massages now and the dog sits and watches licking his lips! :haha:

I suppose that's true misspriss. I had an overactive letdown too and Sophie was always covered in milk but her skin never had a smell. Just when she spits up in her hair it goes kind of hard and a bit smelly?

Thanks for the replies ladies. I think I will give it a try tonight and see if it works. Worth a try I suppose :shrug:

Olive oil is wonderful stuff isn't it Sue. I used it when Sophie was first born as she had patches of dry skin. It worked so quick! I use it for her massages now and the dog sits and watches licking his lips! :haha:

I suppose that's true misspriss. I had an overactive letdown too and Sophie was always covered in milk but her skin never had a smell. Just when she spits up in her hair it goes kind of hard and a bit smelly?

Partial digestion maybe? Idk

I also used breastmilk for cradle cap, it worked for us!

Did you know you could also use it to clean out babies stuffy nose?!

Wow it's amazing stuff. Do you just put milk in baby's nose...?

I also used breastmilk for cradle cap, it worked for us!

Did you know you could also use it to clean out babies stuffy nose?!

Yep! The saline would go down the back of his throat so I started using BM...

I don't breastfeed nor does my lo have cradle cap but I was having coffee with two of my mom friends yesterday and the one told the other she first tried breast milk which she put all over her baby's scalp just before bathing and would then wash it off in the bath but it made no difference after a week so she used olive oil instead which worked after a few days

I used virgin olive oil on Paisley's cradle cap..by three months old it was completely cleared up...I also didn't mess with it I.e scratch it, etc

I don't breastfeed nor does my lo have cradle cap but I was having coffee with two of my mom friends yesterday and the one told the other she first tried breast milk which she put all over her baby's scalp just before bathing and would then wash it off in the bath but it made no difference after a week so she used olive oil instead which worked after a few days

Well, BM is water soluable, so it would wash totally off in the bath. Olive oil is not, so it probably stayed on (I know when I put oil on before the bath, it doesn't wash all the way off).

Thanks for all the advice. I popped some BM on after her bath tonight so will see how it goes. If it doesn't work I'll try some olive oil :D

I laced Millie with sudocrem about an hour before her bath, then I put some BM on it after and now she's in bed with it hopefully working its magic!

I hope it works for Sophie (and Millie!).

I hope it works for Millie.

Sophie's hair stinks of sour milk and it's went from its usual softness to a kind of hard way. I won't be trying this again :haha:

I suppose it might work for babies with less/no hair.

I'm going to try olive oil tomorrow. It helped with her wee bit of dry skin before so I'm sure it will work on this. It's just a tiny touch of cradle cap.

Oh dear!

Well Sophie has much more hair than my little baldy! But her's has gone sort of hard and sticky :haha:

She's still sleeping but when she wakes for her next feed whenever that may be, I will give it a baby wipe! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->