Brestfeeding...At 8

I remember watching it on TV. the majority of the women in it were doing it for good reasons (one had a history of breast cancer in her family and one was adopting a baby and wanted to BF to get a strong bond.) but the 8 year old was a bit disturbing as you wondered if it was the kids wanting to feed or the mum wanting to keep her babies.

I wanted to BF so badly when I first got my bfp. Now that I'm getting closer to delivering...I want to do it less and less. I can't imagine doing it till 8 years old or beyond. I don't think I'll stick with it more than 2-3 months, if that!

There is a doctor in my hometown that allegedly still pumped breast milk for her kids when they were 15 and 16 years old. I do actually think its true though, she's a very organic, green, natural, vegetarian, hippy type of woman. It wouldn't surprise me.

I agree....why not pump it then put in in a cup for them to have that's cool..But hey Its personal preference I guess..I couldn't do it though..I know someone that did it til he was 11 right in public go right under her shirt and nurse..and it was her son..Its a big world out there..

...... and all his eleven year old mates were waiting by macdonalds til he'd finished thinking...' cor, what if his Mum was Pamela Anderson'.......

:shock: :rofl:

My cousin bf her little boy for 2 and 1/2 years and the same for her daughter (infact they over lapped for a couple of months !)
She never intended to feed that long but it just worked for her !
Her children have never had dummies bottles or any other comforter.
They dont have the dreaded dummy teeth and only used a cup from 6 months for other drinks !

They both grew out of feeding them selves she never stopped them they just reached it naturally.

The statistical information is that on a world wide level children are nursed ON AVERAGE 4 years. Which means half are nursed less than four years and half are nursed longer than four years.

I hear a lot of people say one year is good, 2 years is ok, and beyond that the older the child gets, the more weird it is for people.

I tend to think the difference in cultures (modern cultures who dissuade nursing beyond 2 years and less modern cultures who nurse much longer than 2 years) is the sexual views of the women by the culture.

I think when women are viewed in a more sexual way, the inverse correlation is that the culture believes they should nurse less.

I think 8 is too old, they dont need breast milk at that age. Im all for breastfeeding, but when they get that old-its a bit wierd to me. I aim for 6-12 months if i can, but once teeth come in ill be scared! I dont like the idea of an 8 year old asking me for milk, by then i hope my boobs will be mine again and im sure my husband will too! I have my limits.

I felt a bit sad for that lady-bein pestered for milk when trying to get dressed in the morning, and she says the kids hate her wearing a bra! Dont know about anyone else but id just want to be left alone! bonding is one thing, but 8?!

keely.

im not overly keen on the idea of breat feeding but i am going to do it for the first 6 months at least but wont continue past their first birthday.

im not overly keen on the idea of breat feeding but i am going to do it for the first 6 months at least but wont continue past their first birthday.

Totally O/T, but great username!!

I think the thought process is weird here. I understand letting the kid do it until they are ready to give it up, up to a point. I don't think it much different than potty training. You have to wait until the kid is ready, but sometimes you have to help them get ready by pushing things along. My 3 yr. old would have been pleased to stay in a diaper for several more years I am sure, but I knew it was time for him to start wearing undies. I had to occasionally let him know that he couldn't always have things his way (diapers!). I think this goes along the same lines. I don't think it is a comfort thing any more at that age as much as it is getting what you want and not having to grow up. Having said that, I don't think people should be mean or voice their opinions to people who don't agree with me. If they are happy with it, then so be it. I just don't agree.

...... and all his eleven year old mates were waiting by macdonalds til he'd finished thinking...' cor, what if his Mum was Pamela Anderson'.......

:shock: :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
That was great :) Thanks for making me giggle at work!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->