Brothers sharing bedroom

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
We have two boys with a 21 month age gap (currently 23 months and 2 months) and we are looking to move to a new place. We currently live in a 2 bedroom flat and had been hopefully of buying a 3 bedroom house but we aren't as able to get as large as mortgage as we would have hoped. Obviously I would rather the kids had their own rooms, especially in the early stages and then once they hit their teen years but it doesnt look like we'll get that. Not without taking a big fixer upper on or living in a less than desire able area at least.

So I'm looking for your thoughts on brothers sharing a bedroom. How do you deal with one of them waking through the night when they are little? Is having two teenage boys sharing a room a potentially terrible idea?

My DS (4.5 years old) and DD (2.5 years old) currently share a bedroom because they want to. They have the best fun and love that all the toys are in the same room. Sometimes they want their own space if they need to calm down or have quiet time but then we let them go sit in our room to have that. They are not going to share forever and probably once DS starts school (at 6 years old) will be the latest they stop sharing.

But in terms of waking in the night. They have shared since DD was 9 months and only a handful of times has it been a problem and they have both woken up. Otherwise the other sleeps through. If one is particularly upset I bring them to our room.

It’s definitely not a bad thing and since they are both boys they can share indefinitely. As they grow up they will probably love that they share and will probably grow up super close.

I shared with my sister closest in age (I have 5) for 20 years until I moved out and other than her being really messy in our teenage years I really enjoyed it. We would give the boys the biggest room etc. And i think using our bedroom for some quiet time/their own space is a really good idea.

I think that boys can successfully stay in the same room as they are growing up. I believe it will help them learn how to get along with others by sharing a space that is not all theirs. My boys have learned a lot of life lessons when they shared a room for several years. It certainly can have its challenges if your children have different sleep schedules, but you can work it out! There is no better way to learn selfless behavior than to have to share a room!

My boys will share a room. Right now my oldest boy (5) shares with DD (3). When we move into our next house, it is a 3 bed, the boys will share (4 years apart) and the girl will have her own room.

I shared with my younger sister until I was 16.

Totally agree with Susan. Our eldest 2 have shared for 4 years and will continue to x

I have 3 children and they would all share a room if they could . My son has his own and my girls share but I'd say 4 times a week I find the 4 and 5 year old (boy and girl) in bed together snuggling.
I always think to myself I don't sleep alone so why should they.
So when there little it's great, they have similar toys and aslong as there's a bit of storage it's fine!
I personally wouldn't even think of when there teens alot can change for you in the next 11 years and I guess there is usually potential for extensions or doing something to the loft if you really couldn't move later on.
Not only that if you had no options they can just share im sure they will just have to understand. My girls will probably always be sharing as I can't afford a 4 bed probably ever. If the time comes that they hate each other im going to put up a wall partition as there is 2 windows in their bedroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->