bunch of Qs ant cloth nappies:

P

purple_socks

I have some questions abt cloth nappies (as i mentioned b4 am thinking abt switching)...i suspect this might b the first thread of many 4 me on this subject :blush:

right, firstly...how often does everyone wash their nappies? and can u wash them in with other things or do u do a seperate load?

the reason i ask is that i try and keep my laundry down to a min (my little eco bit) and i usually do 1 white load and 1 dark load a week. i don't wanna wash nappies every other day... My machine is farily large so i could pos get a bit more in with both the loads i already do. i would b prepared to add another midweek load so does washing nappies twice a week sound realistic...does anyone do it once a week even?

secondly, i understand theres 2 methods of storing dirty nappies: dry pailing and soaking...

if i dry pail and leave the nappies 4 a while will they get really crusty and b hard to wash?

i find the idea of soaking more appealing in someways...my mashing machine is right by a downstairs bathroom so i wouldn't have far to go to empty/fill the nappy bin and i do quite often end up soaking kians dirty vests (if we've had a blowout) which makes them wash really easily.
i don't like the idea of using napisan (or whatever its called) so could i soak in plain water/ make my own soaking solution? does anyone do that?

thirdly, how many people have used the same nappies for 2+ children? i just wondered if its a bit far fetched to think ones i buy for kian would last 4 another child too?

and finally...i'm a bit baffled abt homemade nappies. i've heard a few people taking abt making their own. do they mean making a whole home made nappy or just a cover? am i being a bit thick but surely a home made version wouldn't b great quality...or else y would anyone ever buy them at the prices the branded ones r at??

sorry thats a loooooong thread :blush: thanks in advance :flower:

how often does everyone wash their nappies? and can u wash them in with other things or do u do a seperate load?

I wash Caitlyn's nappies every 2 - 3 days, I dont wash them with other things because of the difference in the amount of powder you use. Sometimes we just hand wash them as its quick and easy and uses less power and its not gross when you have lovely gloves dedicated to the job :lol:

does washing nappies twice a week sound realistic...does anyone do it once a week even?

Depends on your stash / the amount Kian wees etc. Caitlyn's a heavy wetter so a nappy lasts us 4 hours. I could go with one wash a week as I have far too many nappies :blush: and I have done before :thumbup:

if i dry pail and leave the nappies 4 a while will they get really crusty and b hard to wash?

I only dry pail and none of my nappies have every gone hard etc. There's no dirty smell coming from house at any point :thumbup: and once they're washed they're good as new. I put in a teeny bit of Napisan to make sure they're sparkly and there's soapnuts for the smell if it doesn't shift.

i don't like the idea of using napisan (or whatever its called) so could i soak in plain water/ make my own soaking solution? does anyone do that?

Yep :thumbup: I've soaked my liners in plain water, made sure they didn't smell and reused them. And suppose you could make your own solution :thumbup: I just use normal non-bio in my wash if I do it by hand :thumbup:

thirdly, how many people have used the same nappies for 2+ children? i just wondered if its a bit far fetched to think ones i buy for kian would last 4 another child too?

Can't answer this but I certainly plan on using my again for my next :thumbup:

i'm a bit baffled abt homemade nappies. i've heard a few people taking abt making their own. do they mean making a whole home made nappy or just a cover? am i being a bit thick but surely a home made version wouldn't b great quality...or else y would anyone ever buy them at the prices the branded ones r at??

Some people do make their own, there is nappy tutorials on the web...I could but I'm too lazy and prefer to buy :rofl: princessellie on here is a WAHM who does her own and they're really good quality apparently. I'm waiting for my one of her version to come through so will let you know :thumbup:

I just prefer the convience of a nappy already made and here and the opportunity to complain if it doesn't work out :rofl:

so how big a stash do u think i'd need if i planned on them lasting a week?

i might have a little looksee online at how to make nappies...i'm currently massively into sewing stuff 4 Kian (altho my sewing skills still need to get quite alot better before i try to make anything remotly diffcult!!) :p

I go through 4 a day plus one at nighttime but Caitlyn is a huge wetter!

If you get some flips you can use the shell all day and just get the inserts [which are only £3.95] Or any all in twos really :thumbup:

I have some questions abt cloth nappies (as i mentioned b4 am thinking abt switching)...i suspect this might b the first thread of many 4 me on this subject :blush:

right, firstly...how often does everyone wash their nappies? and can u wash them in with other things or do u do a seperate load?

i do them every 2/3 days now. I do them seprate as I always have a full wash anyway

the reason i ask is that i try and keep my laundry down to a min (my little eco bit) and i usually do 1 white load and 1 dark load a week. i don't wanna wash nappies every other day... My machine is farily large so i could pos get a bit more in with both the loads i already do. i would b prepared to add another midweek load so does washing nappies twice a week sound realistic...does anyone do it once a week even?

Some people do throw in towels with their nappy wash. The thing about leaving nappies 3/4 days is the smell that starts to eminate, plus you would need a lot of nappies to see you through

secondly, i understand theres 2 methods of storing dirty nappies: dry pailing and soaking...

I dry pail and I've never had nappies go horible

i find the idea of soaking more appealing in someways...my mashing machine is right by a downstairs bathroom so i wouldn't have far to go to empty/fill the nappy bin and i do quite often end up soaking kians dirty vests (if we've had a blowout) which makes them wash really easily.

I tried that for a time but personally, i thought wet pailing was worse than dry pailing. The smell was horrible and then loading the washer was just :sick:

Can't answer I'm afraid

and finally...i'm a bit baffled abt homemade nappies. i've heard a few people taking abt making their own. do they mean making a whole home made nappy or just a cover? am i being a bit thick but surely a home made version wouldn't b great quality...or else y would anyone ever buy them at the prices the branded ones r at??
a few are making proper nappies, whether they actually save any money that way by the time they've added everything up I have no idea

sorry thats a loooooong thread :blush: thanks in advance :flower:

:flower:

I wash about 2x a week, the diapers only wash by themselves

You can do it once a week, but you shouldn't wash it with the other clothes, they need diff washing than most clothes

if i dry pail and leave the nappies 4 a while will they get really crusty and b hard to wash? Not in a week, but I think I'd probably do it every 5 days max

Soaking doesn't work for some diapers so it depends on what you plan to use if it's even an option. But you can do it in water, but it might get gross after a week, I'd probably atleast use some baking soda/oxyclean/vinegar in it

thirdly, how many people have used the same nappies for 2+ children? i just wondered if its a bit far fetched to think ones i buy for kian would last 4 another child too? They should last through atleast 2 kids, I have diapers I've been using on Hayden 2 yrs now and they have tons of life left in them an dI could use them again next time

You can make or buy. Alot of the ones I buy are actually made by work at home moms and they are some of the best I have :) But I dont know how to sew so I don't make my own

And as far as how many you would need for a week it really depends on what types you plan to use. I have 70 diapers, a mix of a bunch of stuff and I have made it last 2wks when we were on vacation one time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->