Bunk Beds?

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
Does anyone use bunk beds? When did you start using them? How old were the children? How do you find them?

I'm considering getting bunk beds for the boys when Eddy gets to 2/3 (basically when he outgrows his cot/bed). Earl would go on top and would be at least 5. Do you think this would be ok?

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy them from?

Thanks

Lucy has a mid sleeper, has been in it for about a year now and has had no probs at all, as long as it's not a very high bunk bed/it has a decent ladder he should be ok x

My best friend had bunk beds (might as well have been my own bed lol) and I slept on the top bunk from the time I was 4/5... And back then they didn't have the side rail... These days they probably come with seatbelts and warn no kids under 18 use them lol

Don't know if you have the space for it, but my friend has one of these bunk beds with stairs instead of a ladder. She has a 4 year old on the top and a 2 year old on the bottom.

Don't know if you have the space for it, but my friend has one of these bunk beds with stairs instead of a ladder. She has a 4 year old on the top and a 2 year old on the bottom.

I've seen these before. look really good, especially for younger ones.

I don't know whether they would be in our price range tbh, but would definitely prefer steps over a straight ladder. Thanks :thumbup:

I love the ones with stairs! I've just googled it and there are some that are quite a lot cheaper. I like this one - https://www.bedtimebedz.co.uk/midsleeper/staircasebunkbed.html

Esther and Clover are getting them to give them some extra room in their bedroom. I slept on one with my sister when we were younger from 4- Esther will be on the bottom, Clover on the top with side rails.

The only complaint my mum had was the bed was a NIGHTMARE to make and sometimes had to get the mattress off the top bunk to get the sheet on- not hard to do really.

The only really sturdy bunk beds these days are the Ikea ones. Not tried their wooden ones but the metal ones are extremely strong and well made. Tried an argos one had to take it to the tip in the end as it was a wobbly death trap. They do have a ladder but the ladder has friction stickers which make the rungs non slip. We just got another one for my two eldest and eventually my youngest will join second youngest in the other bunk bed in the other room xx

We have just got some from the very catologue for my daughter aged 6 and my youngest when he starts to sleep through lol,they are pine (we got white ones) and are very sturdy,I even stand up the ladder to tuck the sheets in.Also the top is flat so they cant get caught on it.
https://www.very.co.uk/ladybird-nov...-save/1121459815.prd?browseToken=/q/bunk+beds

The premium matresses are very good,with a layer of quilting on which you can zip off to machine wash incase of accidents.

We have some that used to be my hubby's and his sisters. Really sturdy wood. We started using them at ages 4 and 2. There is no ladder so it's not easy for the little ones to climb (actually they never learned how until we TAUGHT them). We keep a rail on the top one at all times though.

I have bunks for my 7 year old daughter (she's at the top) and 5 year old son (he's at the bottom).

My DD was 5 and a half when we got them, and she was fine in the top, but I've told DS that he can go into the top when he's 6 because he's a bit more unsteady than DD was at that age.

I had bunk beds with my younger sister when I was younger, but she was 5 and I was 11 when we got them. They were okay I guess. It was about our only option, two separate beds took up too much space. She would kick the bottom of my bed to make me mad all the time. I did it with the ladder for a little while, but I usually just lobbed myself up onto the top. I used it with and without the rail, but I again older. I never fell off, but I threw my cousin off once. Putting sheets on was a pain, but I was older so it was my responsibility not my moms. They were wooden. I saw some of my friends that were much shorter, I was under 5 feet at the time and I could see on the top bunk. Ours were higher, I still can't see the top. I think ours were 6 feet and theirs must have been 4.5 feet or something, those seemed low.

I grew up sleeping on bunk beds and once fell off and landed on my desk - OUCH!!!

I built my DD a bunk bed (www.ana-white.com) but we use them as separate beds for now and a fort basically. They say no earlier than 6 yrs old for top bunk but 10 yrs old is better. If we were to use it now I'd rather have stairs for safety because of middle of the night potty breaks. My DD falls off the bottom bunk when she's only a foot or 2 off the ground lol, so no way we'll put her up top any time soon. The one I built is the simple bed that is designed after pottery barn's bed that has a ladder but since we aren't planning to use it as a bunk bed yet, I'm not worried yet.

I checked a ton of stores and unless you want to spend big money it's hard to find a quality sturdy one. The one we built ours to resemble costs $1600 USD new. Mine cost about 350 including tools to build, so if you or DH are handy, that could be a really inexpensive option to get a high quality/sturdy bed. just aim for one with stairs for those ages.

We have bunk beds for our children . Dd was almost 5 and in the top bunk and ds was 18months. Not had any problems with either child. We got ours from suppliers in Poland from ebay and is a children's bunk bed so not as high as the normal ones and is fairly strong

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->