• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

C-section because of Placental Abruption; pregnancy afterward?

s07a03k88

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just joined BabyBump and wanted a little support. With my previous pregnancy, I had a placental abruption at 38 weeks which resulted in an emergency c-section on 8/31/10because of the intense blood loss. Luckily, my daughter was very healthy and is still. However, I am about 6 weeks pregnant right now I am very anxious about this pregnancy because of what happened before. I would absolutely love to have a VBAC, since I felt I was robbed of the whole experience of child birth. (Even though I am very grateful she was okay.) Has anyone had a pregnancy after a placental abruption? How did the pregnancy go? Did you have more appointments and was it high risk? Could you have a VBAC? My first appointment is March 1st, and I just wanted to ease my mind a little before the appointment since I'm impatient. lol.

Hey I am currently 36 weeks after my previous Pregnancy ended at 27 weeks because of placental abruption! I should add my daughter is now a very healthly life loving 7 year old!

I have had a few extra scans and things this pregnancy and they say they chance of placental abruption occurring again is 11%.

Clearly my 27 weeks has been and gone, I am heading towards a c section and that is because my emergency c section resulted in a t shaped scar (the vertical portion of the scar wouldn't hold up in labor). My doctors have said that had I not had the t shaped scar I would be looking at a natural birth.

So keep up hope!!!

Hi Hun, I just had my bubba 17 weeks ago at 37 weeks, Because of placenta abruption and I had to have an emergency c-section. I understand what you mean about being robbed of experiencing child birth naturally, I'm really hoping that next time I can try for a vaginal birth, but I was high risk last time because of previous losses, gestational diabetes and pre eclampsia and then how my pregnancy ended with almost a liter of blood loss and a bit of a traumatic birth, I'm guessing I'm going to be high risk again!
Goodluck hun!! :)

DS2 was an em c section due to placenta abruption. Because of other stuff that happened I was told not to have any more babies but number 3 was a coil failure.

Pregnancy went well, I was obviously very scared and closely monitored. Developed gestational diabetes. We talked about VBAC and it was very much okay if I went into labour. However, because of the GD and my history (I had pre eclampsia with number 1 and had to be induced at 35 weeks, then again with number 2 that caused the abruption at 33weeks) we decided to get the baby out at 37 weeks and to go for a c section.

Everything went well and I was out and about, fully recovered by 2 weeks!

I had a crash section because of an abruption at just under 35 weeks with my daughter. She's almost 2 now :) I also had pre-eclampsia. I'm 27 weeks and being closely monitored this time although so far no signs of any complications. They have said that if I have any problems or go over I will be sectioned. If I go into labour naturally without any complications, then they'll 'let me go'. I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach, I don't really see any point in planning, since I had no say in what happened last time!

Whats the difference between a crash section and an em c section?

I've heard it used a few times but don't see the difference? Our hospital don't use the term atleast.

Emergency section is usually used for any section that isn't scheduled. A crash section is a section under general anestetic. Or at least that's the way it is in my hospital. We were both at such risk that there was only about 10 minutes between them deciding to section me and my daughter being born... I wasn't even shaved!

Emergency section is usually used for any section that isn't scheduled. A crash section is a section under general anestetic. Or at least that's the way it is in my hospital. We were both at such risk that there was only about 10 minutes between them deciding to section me and my daughter being born... I wasn't even shaved!

Ah right. It's just an emergency c section under GA here.

I went into hypovolemic shock just after I bled, I don't remember much except having a scan and being jabbed with needles. Though I have a very clear memory of being taken to the observation ward that has 4 beds and all the visitors being ushered out and getting dirty looks. Its amazing what sticks out in your mind :dohh:

Did you have any warnings with your abruption? I'd been in pain since 9am, I bled at 5.10am and he hadn't moved in all that time. Afterwards a lot of people got their butts kicked.

i didn't have any real time with mine, i started gushing blood at 6.30pm and grace was born at 8.42pm.... i didn't have a choice in anything they just had to get her out before we lost her...
it's weird that most of us had other complications during our pregnancies and then a dramatic ending...

I had a crash section in May last year for placental abruption, unfortunately we didn't have a happy ending :( I had no signs, i had a pain and less than 5 minutes later started gushing blood, that was it, it wasn't painful at all, i've had menstrual cramps worse. Just no warning at all. I'm now 22 weeks and being watched closely although it can't be detected until it happens and i had no risk factors such as pre eclampsia or anything.

I am allowed to vbac and will be induced early if i do but i am going for elective section if i make it there.

Its a comfort to see others who are pregnant after abruption, even if it didn't end the way mine did, makes me feel like its possible to get through this and bring a baby home xx

I had a crash section in May last year for placental abruption, unfortunately we didn't have a happy ending :( I had no signs, i had a pain and less than 5 minutes later started gushing blood, that was it, it wasn't painful at all, i've had menstrual cramps worse. Just no warning at all. I'm now 22 weeks and being watched closely although it can't be detected until it happens and i had no risk factors such as pre eclampsia or anything.

I am allowed to vbac and will be induced early if i do but i am going for elective section if i make it there.

Its a comfort to see others who are pregnant after abruption, even if it didn't end the way mine did, makes me feel like its possible to get through this and bring a baby home xx

:hugs::hugs::hugs: im so sorry for your loss sweetie xx i pray your rainbow baby is born beautiful and healthy xx

Ah right. It's just an emergency c section under GA here.

I went into hypovolemic shock just after I bled, I don't remember much except having a scan and being jabbed with needles. Though I have a very clear memory of being taken to the observation ward that has 4 beds and all the visitors being ushered out and getting dirty looks. Its amazing what sticks out in your mind :dohh:

Did you have any warnings with your abruption? I'd been in pain since 9am, I bled at 5.10am and he hadn't moved in all that time. Afterwards a lot of people got their butts kicked.

I had no proper warning. I was in hospital because 3 days before I'd had some heavy bleeding, but I had placenta previa, so it wasn't entirely unexpected (placenta covering the cervix, any sort of movement in the cervix can cause bleeding). Then the night she was born I woke around 1:30 and didn't feel right. The way I told the nurse was 'the baby had grown but my stomach hadn't'. No pain. I got up to go to the bathroom and nearly fainted (and realised locking myself into a little room hadn't been the best idea) so went back, got the midwife and told her something was wrong. She got the doppler, then the 'trace' (forget the proper name) and then a portable scanner, and finally found a really weak heartbeat with the scanner. I was immediately prepped for surgery.

According to the notes all this happened quickly, I first talked to the midwife at 1:45, and DD was born 2:05. I lost almost 3L of blood, but because of the previa it wasn't coming out (hence the tight stomach, all the extra fluid). DD was very poor when they took her out, apgar was only 3. Terrible situation, and I'm so lucky I was already in hospital or I don't think she would have lived. I remember the whole, scary half hour before the surgery, and wish I didn't!

kelzyboo, so sorry that your LO didn't make it. It is my worst nightmare at the moment. It is good to see that so many did make it though, it reassures me that if it happens again, there's a good chance of survival.

Mine was hidden too, a clot behind the palcenta. My stomach felt like it was made of wood, alien and wrong. I also had DIC, where the blood seeps through the uterus and into the surrounding tissue and causes tiny clots. That meant that afterwards I was bruised for months.

My son wasn't unscathed, he has lots of problems now but is very lucky to be here. He's sitting playing with his little sister now (hes off school with kidney related lethagy and headache this week), he's worth it. He's my special wee guy :D

If it hadn't happened at home, if i'd been in hospital already he would still be here. Thats so hard, it just took too much time, they didn't hang around called for c-section and got me to theatre at 5pm, 5.04 he was out but its the time in between to get to hospital, as the abruption was complete there was just no time.

I know people have gone on to have complication free pregnancies and the fact that you're LO's are still here reminds me that it is rare for it to happen the way mine did and i have some hope at least that this time it won't happen or that we may be one of the lucky ones. I have a low placenta this time which is a worry but i am being watched very closely so hopefully i will have a happy ending, we all will xx

I am so sorry for your loss, I can not imagine the pain of losing a child. It happened very similiar with me, I felt a sharp pain inbetween my ribs then maybe about 5 minutes later I started to bleed terribly. My pregnancy was fine, I had no risk factors, and the only thing I had trouble with was dehydration. It made no sense. I just got my medical records and the doctor had written 'very lucky' in the records, stating 50% of the placenta was clotted from a severe abruption. I am praying for you, and your LO, I hope this pregnancy goes well for you. Thank you for your input.:hugs:

Thank you everyone for your replies, I appreciate the input. I'll try not to stress out as much, and put my trust in the doctor. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->